Custom 7 string fretless Benavente build pics!

• Thread starter ApteraBassist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
While waiting for my next trip to benavente's tomorrow or so, I thought I'd share this picture of a crazy 9 string that he's been working on
DSC_4764.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
UPDATE!

Took my piece of Ebony over to Benavente's to see whats inside!

First we sanded off some nasty chatter and protective wax

DSC_4896.jpg

Good as new!

DSC_4898.jpg

Then we chopped it open

DSC_4901.jpg

It yeilded 3 fretboard blanks, but for the purposes of my 7 string i got 2 boards to choose from.

Board a

board1.jpg

Board B

board2.jpg

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
First side of board B is super tasty.

Also, meant to say this earlier: that's some crazy looking taper on that 9 string.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Ha! How funny that you guys say that. I'm thinking I like board B side 1, and my wife likes board A. I'm gonna photoshop them on a body to get a better idea of which I like.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Ugh! such a hard decision! I know once I make the decision I'll love it, but I'll always think about how it looks on the under side!

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
I'm starting to notice that the people I know who like metal like the first side of B and the people who dont like the second side of B.... hmmm

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Hey, I like all kinds of music. :fawk:

Nah, it's just that the figuring on the first side is more consistent and evenly spread out across the piece. Even if you trimmed it down to fit the neck you're not risking losing the cooler and more interesting part of the figure.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Yeah I understand. Not a lot going on as it gets closer to the headstock. The one you guys like was my original choice, and I'll probably stick with it.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
HA! so when I posted this thread I posted it in the bass forums... then it got moved to the luthiery forums... and now its back in the bass forums?

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
So I'm going over to Benavente's tomorrow to test out some stains. If I don't like the way they're taking to the wood, I'll go all natural, satin finish. If all goes right though, I'm hoping to get this effect:
staintest.jpg

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
also keep in mind the board is not actually that yellow... its more white. It was the evening when I took it so it ended up looking yellow

')