Custom 7 string fretless Benavente build pics!

• Thread starter ApteraBassist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
well there a tons of websites out there. the difficult part when you search for "exotic hardwoods" a lot of hardwood flooring companies come up. Just gotta browse tons of websites that will show you what they have in stock. Also doesnt hurt that I live in Oregon where theres lots of woods companies.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
UPDATE! Benavente just sent me a pic of the neck!
newneck.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Can't find where in the thread you changed your mind from fretless?
Anyway that neck looks absolutely amazing!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Ah, awesome! I did wonder - just wasn't aware standard slotting was the procedure for that :)
GASing hard...

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
you're tellin me! seeing the progress pics for this bass has got me GASing hard enough to start spec'ing out the fretted sister of this bass... Once my 6 string Benavente sells on ebay I'm putting in the down payment for a Benavente 7 string fretted double cut, with a spalted maple top and Wenge fingerboard

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Haha I'm also wanting a fretted fretless pair of 7 strings very similar to yours - long way off though...
I've heard the name Benavente around quite a bit. How good are they (obviously very good..but you know what I mean haha). What kind of price range for these customs?

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Quite honestly, they're the only bass i'll ever play. they kinda ruin every other bass. here's a link to some tapping stuff i did. they just play effortlessly.

I've never actually played a fodera... but if they do play better it still wouldn't be enough for me to pay a starting price of 10 grand for one!

For a basic option benavente, bolt-on, 7 string, would start at about $3,500.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Update!

Finally got a chance to go back to Benaventes and take my own pics.
DSC_7829.jpg

Man I love that burl! Cant wait to see the black stain on it!

DSC_7830.jpg

Here's my hand against the top of the neck for size reference. Really not that intimidating
DSC_7832.jpg

Here's my hand arounf the 12th fret where the upper horn will be meeting the neck. I can still wrap my hand around it!

DSC_7833.jpg

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it'll look awesome, but that burl is so crazy, its almost criminal to stain it:lol:

As you can see on like page 3, i did a test and does look awesome. thats one thing i love most about this bass, is that i got a wood crazy enough to be untouched, but then to have a trans black stain is going to make it SO unique!

broj15

Reaction score
I have wanted an instrument with this tuning for quite a while now (i've always had a back and forth love affair between guitar and bass) so i will definetely be keeping an eye on this. Apologies if i just overlooked it, but I'm really curious as to the scale length on this. i know the 7 string bass that used the same tuning Ibanez released a few years ago had a 30" scale, but i feel like that wouldn't provide enough tension on the low B to get that nice "bell-like" piano tone that defines the bass instrument.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
I havent had any experience with tuning this way on a 30inch bass. this bass will be a 34 inch scale. my bass in my profile pic is a benavente 6 thats tuned the same as a guitar and the scale length works beautifully. its also a 34 inch. if you end up pulling the trigger on a bass like this and i can give you some pointers on string gauge etc that will help you make the transition if you're used to guitar.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
I still tear up when thinking of such gorgeous wood getting stained. I know it will still look amazing tho. Im definitely jealous of this one.

')