Custom 8 string all walnut

• Thread starter myconfidenceinu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myconfidenceinu

Reaction score
Hi folks. I don't post in here often, but just thought I'd give you a little update on a guitar I'm currently getting built by Ged Green from Manchester UK, which will use a banjo scale length. Here are the specs:

8 string guitar
26-3/16 scale length (banjo scale length)
5 piece neck
Neck through construction (with ziricote bookmatched top and thin layer of quilted maple)
Cocobolo fretboard, side dots only
14" neck radius
24 Jumbo frets
Kahler 2318 silver tremolo
All black hardware
Bare knuckle holydiver pickup (Bridge)
Q tuner MediumZ Bass Pickup (Neck)

:flame:
UPDATE: New pic on page 3!

7832_1274837070666_1222130636_862388_7317838_n.jpg

11555_1323320962733_1222130636_996497_274161_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myconfidenceinu

Reaction score
thanks guys. I have a carvin 7 string which I love and I'm using that as a 'basis' for the 8 string (not entirely happy with the reach to the top frets with the 7 string). I have attached a pic of the body shape I'm going for, I'm not one for wacky designs. I will be taking pictures every month as the guitar progresses and will upload them to this thread :)

Attachments

• body shape.jpg
    body shape.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 466

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
thanks guys. I have a carvin 7 string which I love and I'm using that as a 'basis' for the 8 string (not entirely happy with the reach to the top frets with the 7 string). I have attached a pic of the body shape I'm going for, I'm not one for wacky designs. I will be taking pictures every month as the guitar progresses and will upload them to this thread :)

What guitar is in the pic, there? I like that, but tineye can't find it.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Walnut sounds great... it's got the snap and growl of maple with some of the warmth of mahogany. It's used a lot in basses, but not as much in guitars for some reason. It'll probably make a GREAT 8-string.

I like the body shape mod. It's vaguely reminiscent of Meshuggah's old Nevborn guitars.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Walnut is beautiful and I have to admit that I've always loved Claro Walnut tops on guitars and basses. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this as it takes shape and of course the finished product. :)

myconfidenceinu

Reaction score
Tremolo finally arrived a couple of days ago, so the design can finally start -
7832_1274837070666_1222130636_862388_7317838_n.jpg

Does anyone know where I could get hold of an 8 string locking nut? We're going to contact Kahler and see if they'll make one, considering they've made a 7 string one before. If not, I'm then going to try and get the Ibanez one from their 2228 guitar. If we can't get that either, we'll end up making our own.

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
I think you will like the walnut very much - a really underrated wood in guitar building IMO. The bass players discovered this a long time ago.

If you go with the ziricote top (and I LOVE ziricote) you might think about chambering it, but watch out for the neck dive, especially if the body is not much wider than a standard 7.

myconfidenceinu

Reaction score
I already have an all-walnut 7 string and love it, that's why I'm getting this one all walnut too :) I don't find the guitar too heavy at all, but I know what you're talking about with the neck dive though. We might end up having to make it a 5 piece neck or something to make it less heavy. We've already decided to make it neck-through construction instead of a 1 piece guitar - too much difficulty with 2 truss rods.

plyta

Rusty spoon...
Reaction score
You could have gotten it together with the trem - Kahler produces 8 string locking nut:
9338T.gif

Kahler eight string locknut

And you can get the Ibanez one from ibanezrules for a bit more dough.

vansinn

Reaction score
I've seen comments suggesting Floyd locks works better than the Kahler, but I have no personal idea..
You might wanna do some searching on the subject; been discussed in many places..

')