Custom 8

• Thread starter dunno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dunno

Reaction score
Hey dudes.
I`m here for some input. I decided to get myself custom 8 string. But I would like to hear some input from you, since I always got great advices here. First I still can`t decide if it`s going to be 7 string or 8 string, but I`m leaning towards 8 right now, because this guitar will be replacing my RG2228.
Here are the specs I`m going for now:
mahagony body with maple top, 5-piece mahagony/wenge neck, ebony fretboard, single Seymour Duncan Invader pickup.
Body is going to be really thin, think blackmachine style.
Here`s a mockup of how the guitar is most probably going to look like:
qYkXMH8.jpg

So here`s what I`m going for soundwise. I want to find a balance, between having 8 strings and sound I need for my band. We play groovy goregrind and I`m going for huge wall of sound, the best example would be Ektomorf kind of crushing tone. I don`t really want super tight sound. I play through boosted triple recto, and that isn`t going to change in any close future. So I was thinking putting 25,5" neck there...I like how low F sounds on my K7 as well as drop A which I use in my band. My RG2228 has 27" neck, and while it sounded good on low F string, it was too tight on the rest. So what do you guys think?
I would mainly love input on wood combination, neck size and pickup choice for the sound I need. But if you have some input on guitar look, i`ll be glad to hear it.
Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
If you liked the low strings on the 27" and the high strings on the 25.5", have you considered doing a 25-27" fan?

Orandje

Reaction score
Pickups for GoreGrind?
Just take a high output and extremely cheap humbucker for maximized dirty sound :lol: :lol:
Otherwise the M8 has got a tight and powerfull sound :D

5pcs Maple/Wenge would be cool. BlacKat Guitars does something interisting as well - A Rosewood/Ebony Neck, which looks kinda neat as well. I myself ever wanted to have a one-piece Wenge Neck, but this seems to be a extremely skillfull task to do properly as far as I know.

Mike

Reaction score
You should get an 8 string version of the new(/in the works/potential model) Seymour Duncan Slug. Their custom shop would be able to make it for you in whatever format you need.

dunno

Reaction score
Thanks for input.
Yeah I considered fanfret for a second, but I just can't get through the look of fanfretted guitars, I don't like it a little bit. And since it's a custom I would like it to be sweet in sound, but also in look.
You should get an 8 string version of the new(/in the works/potential model) Seymour Duncan Slug. Their custom shop would be able to make it for you in whatever format you need.

Holymother of everything that's heavy. That pickup is angry! I might actually mail them and ask about it. That thing rocks.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
You should def consider a 26.5 scale. I found it to be very comfortable and although the difference to a 27" neck is small, you can definitely feel it.

a curry

Reaction score
Will this pickup be available in emg sized routing?

hodorcore

Reaction score
why only one pickup? isn't more better hehe?
i'd put a neck pickup too, just for the versatility of the guitar and for possibly using clean tones.

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
i had the same problem with 27" scale feeling the 7th and 8th were good but the rest to tight i just put thinner strings and the sound/feel changed to my liking, i put 8,11,14,22,30,42,56,75, IMO it made a big change.

9Lives

GuitarHaggler
Reaction score
I skipped to the bottom with out reading replys but don't go 25.5"!! Atleast 26.5"!! For an 8-er I don't think it'd feel right.. To me atleast. You should consider all wenge neck, that'd be pimp, good luck enjoy your new axe.

Latest posts

')