Custom guitar (ibby abd esp hybrid)

• Thread starter StefanWest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StefanWest

Reaction score
I'm looking for something with the sound of an ESP Horizon, but don't want to lose too much money in the end.

I'd like a Prestige like neck contour with a birdseye maple fingerboard.

I was also curious about the differences in sound between mahogany, zebrawood, and swamp ash.

I'll be playing mostly melodic metal with EMG 81's, SD Blackouts, or even BKP's.

I've checked out the ESP custom page, Black Machine, and several other's.

Also looking for someone that can pull of a fantastic finish.
Kinda like a Blue Burst.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beardyman

Beardaholic.
Reaction score
I've yet to hear anyone have a good experience with Ed Roman. Avoid.

+438943920
Avoid at all costs.

Also, its a bit much to explain fully the sonic differences of those tonewoods. I'd say, do your homework. Google.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Well most custom shops tend to be a 1 year wait. Unless you find something used or a in stock item that is pretty close to your liking.

Bernie Rico Jr does stellar work with fantastic tops and finishes.
KXK is another great shop.
Blackmachines are pretty much impossible to get at this point.

There are a few others that probably could do what you want as long as you have all the specs written out for them.

I'd Never buy anything from Ed Roman, soo many horror stories out there.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My preference is pretty obvious from my sig :lol:

You can rule out Blackmachine since he's not taking any more custom orders. Apparently he's building guitars using his wood stock and then offering them for sale going forward.

Carvin would be a good bet for a semi-custom at a decent price.

Ketzer

Good news, everyone!
Reaction score
Why not an 80's/90's ESP Horizon, then? They pop up for cheap on eBay all the time. I've probably seen 9 or 10 of them sell for around $700 in the past few months.

Efilnikufesin

Reaction score
I played strictly sevens when they showed up for a guitar convention and was really surprised by the playability. They have a very flat neck contour which, while you wouldn't think would work, is really good. Highly recommend. Also Ran makes good and beautiful instruments but they're in Poland so that'd probably jack the price up ridiculously. Monson is supposed to be really good, all of his stuff has crazy pointy shapes but I'm sure since it's custom that you could get a more traditional body style. An obvious choice (for me at least) would be Warmoth. They can do everything you asked for in the op and are probably cheaper as you put it together yourself (though I think you can ask them to). Also they will make custom shapes if asked.

Latest posts

')