Custom guitars brands. Opinion

• Thread starter Grushenko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grushenko

Reaction score
Hi there,

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am a guitarist from Spain and I'm looking for a custom electric guitar. My budget is about 1800€.

I read another topic in this forum (this one: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/117339-list-european-custom-builders.html) and I found a couple of interesting brands, but there are other brands that are not listed and they look great.

I have not contacted any of them yet, and I'd like to know your opinion about these brands (if you know them). Recommendations and warnings?

Chris Larkin: Chris Larkin Guitars - Home
REK: REK - Custom Electric Guitars
Menapia: Custom Built Electric Guitars, Electric Bass, Guitar repairs Ireland
Ambler: Ambler Custom Guitars - Home : Ambler Custom Guitars
RAN: Ran Guitars Custom Made
Bacce: https://bacceguitars.com/

P.S.: I'm olnly interested in European brands due to shipping costs

:scratch::scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pott

Reaction score
You should first double that budget, if you want to go in with a clear state of mind and reputable builder.

My Waghorn is a STUNNING instrument and exactly what I expected; but it cost me closer to EUR3k, and that's on the LOW end of custom builders. It's not exactly decked out with options either though it's certainly not a 'basic' spec guitar.

Do A LOT of research on all builders, and unless you see clear evidence of every statement (be careful of words like 'perfect'. I've tried brands people hype up to be perfect and, oh, surprise, they weren't. A non-perfect guitar CAN be an amazing and great instrument, but good and truthful reviews avoid hyperbole and subjective assumptions).

AnP Hardcore

Reaction score
You're not going to get very far with 1800€. In that price range, it's much more interesting to get a nice production guitar than a low specced custom.

I'd have a look at Hapas, Aristides, Skervesen, Mayones and Vandermij

Save up more and get a nicer custom. There's no point in having a low end custom IMO

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking for?

Chris Larkin is very very different to what RAN do.

Grushenko

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I apreciate your answers. I'll try to optimize my budget, but if I can't, I'll consider other options like bigger and cheaper brands.
What exactly are you looking for?

Chris Larkin is very very different to what RAN do.
I'm looking for a versatile guitar (I play rock, metal, experimental music...) Superstrat or similar shape. Both brands make models that I like.

DeathCubeK

Reaction score
Hi there,

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am a guitarist from Spain and I'm looking for a custom electric guitar. My budget is about 1800€.

I read another topic in this forum (this one: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/117339-list-european-custom-builders.html) and I found a couple of interesting brands, but there are other brands that are not listed and they look great.

I have not contacted any of them yet, and I'd like to know your opinion about these brands (if you know them). Recommendations and warnings?

Chris Larkin: Chris Larkin Guitars - Home
REK: REK - Custom Electric Guitars
Menapia: Custom Built Electric Guitars, Electric Bass, Guitar repairs Ireland
Ambler: Ambler Custom Guitars - Home : Ambler Custom Guitars
RAN: Ran Guitars Custom Made
Bacce: https://bacceguitars.com/

P.S.: I'm olnly interested in European brands due to shipping costs

:scratch::scratch:

check out dolmen guitars too Dolmen Guitars- Welcome

oracles

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Reaction score
At $1800, I'd suggest getting a high end production model over a custom instrument.

However if your budget is able to stretch futher, I highly back RAN and Aristides. My Crusher 6 and 070 are both superb instruments.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say it but with your budget your looking at getting something from the bottom of the pile of custom guitar builders in Europe, I'm still waiting to take delivery of two custom guitars, they are almost a month over due, and each one of them cost me over triple what your current budget is.

As most others have said in this thread I would strongly suggest you save up until you have at least four thousand Euro if not more to avoid any disappointment, or if that is not possible, then I would advise you to buy a high end production guitar. Seeing how you mention that you are looking for a super strat design, you are going to be spoilt for choice when it comes to high end excellent quality production super strat designs with a very comprehensive spec list to choose from.

As the saying goes, buy right, buy once, it works out cheaper in the long run that way.

Grushenko

Reaction score
At $1800, I'd suggest getting a high end production model over a custom instrument.

However if your budget is able to stretch futher, I highly back RAN and Aristides. My Crusher 6 and 070 are both superb instruments.
Actually, $1800 = 2050€ aprox. Not a huge difference, though... :lol:

BTW, It seems that there are quite interesting Irish brands. :yesway:

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
Just pick up a J custom, they'll be much better than low end customs and fits your needs.

element256

Reaction score
a pre 2014 ESP Horizon would be a good bet at that price or under to get you everything you probably want out of a nice guitar.

gingerman

Reaction score
A different point of view to consider: with this budget, you can get almost anything you want with a few builders from Russia (due to currency rate difference and general cost of living difference). Look into Padalka guitars (there's thread in Luthiery section with some specific details), and Hard Guitars (I have a custom 8FF on hand + 2 instruments on order). Both have a solid reputation in terms of both build quality and turnaround times.
Then there's Lepsky, another respected builder from Russia.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go that route in case I wanted something nowhere near mass production models.

Grushenko

Reaction score
Estás pidiendo una Ran a gritos
Probablemente les envíe un mensaje a ver qué me ofrecen. Las tendré en cuenta. Un saludo

Wrong way dude ;) 1800 USD = 1580 EUR...
:wallbash: I'm too old for this .... haha. Last time I did the conversion it worked in the opposite way... I will consider moving to the U.S. Thank you Casper777

A different point of view to consider: with this budget, you can get almost anything you want with a few builders from Russia (due to currency rate difference and general cost of living difference). Look into Padalka guitars (there's thread in Luthiery section with some specific details), and Hard Guitars (I have a custom 8FF on hand + 2 instruments on order). Both have a solid reputation in terms of both build quality and turnaround times.
Then there's Lepsky, another respected builder from Russia.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go that route in case I wanted something nowhere near mass production models.
Thank you gingerman. I'll take a look. They look solid choices

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I'm going to quote dump from a bunch of relevant recent threads I commented on which link to other relevant threads by very experienced forum members who have done a lot of custom guitars, and many who have lived through the BRJ, S7G and Sherman Guitars aftermath and learnt from their experiences.

Okay so it looks like another person headed for heartbreak due to 'custom on a budget' syndrome. Here is some advice I've picked up from having a custom built myself and watching and learning from this forums many scandals.

If you have a limited budget, go find an off the shelf model that matches those specs or as close as you can get. 27" are not hard to find now days, neither is ebony FB's (okay its not pale moon, but you're on a budget and beggars can't be choosers) or a nice maple top.

You may not get everything your heart desires, but what you will get is a guitar that has been QC'd and in 100% playable condition (not inc the usual tweaks WE ALL have to do when we get a new guitar) with a warranty if its new and or a chance to play it and bond.

You will save yourself a lot of tears, wasted money and heartbreak. Not everyone needs a custom, its totally cool to have an off the shelf model and rock that shiz like it was your own custom. And then when you bag the cash in 10 or so years time to drop 3.5-4K (or the futures equivalent) on a custom (and have had the time to figure out what you NEED in a custom) you can do so, and be that generations equivalent of a blues dad who can afford your generations equivalent of R9 Gibsons. I know you want it now, but patience man it really is worth your while.

Fluff/Ryan Bruce did a great video on the topic that I saw at the right time, because I also got caught up in the custom hype:

Welcome, some of us are more than a little cynical due to many years on forums (and all the bs that entails-is it just me or is it worse these days?) but yes in terms of custom guitars especially ERG's and the more niche builders we have had an absurd amount of horror stories, scandals, conflicts and the odd win.

Suggested reading:

Manditory if you're thinking of getting a custom:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/luthiery-modifications-customizations/283931-advise-veteran.html

JP Universe has many finely crafted guitars and leather bound books that smell of rich mahogany and carbon fibre. Take his advice.

This gem goes from very happy to very grim, track its progress:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/luthiery-modifications-customizations/138377-brj-black-friday-thread-only-updates-customers-ad-free.html

This post is from yours truly, read it first then read the thread:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4579746-post24.html

Other suggested scandals include: Anything involving Etherial baring that one guy who was happy, The latter Mike Sherman guitars threads and S7G or Strictly 7 Guitars. If you use search or limit your google search to ss.org you will catch all the horror.

Hope that helps man, and the bottom line is if you have the money, patience and the luthier then you will get an amazing guitar. If you want it on the cheep you're gambling unless you go for the semi-custom Carvin rout but even then its not that cheep.

Hope that helps dude, please don't become another custom shop casualty.

Its a lot of text I know, but TBH like some of the guys here have said, double your budget and patience.

I know I'm not the first guy to suggest this but should we sticky that thread from JP UNiverse or some hybrid thread so people go their first, or we can just link them… or do we not people people don't read stuff and post the same question again and again anyway?

')