Custom headless 10 string unlined fanned fretless

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Cool, we were talking about doing a fretless multi-scale awhile ago thinking that it might make a lot of chords easier to play but I never actually tried it. Would love to see this in action!

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
i like the big ass q tuners! cant wait for clips of this thing.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Seriously, I cant figure out where to put my fingers on an unlined fretless bass. Now they go and complicate it by making an unlined fanned unfretted guitar? Thats just craziness!

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, I cant figure out where to put my fingers on an unlined fretless bass. Now they go and complicate it by making an unlined fanned unfretted guitar? Thats just craziness!

I was just thinking about that; I'd fail miserably :lol:

I'm really excited for some clips, though, this looks awesome.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I don't know what the fuck I'd do with it.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I don't know what the fuck I'd do with it.

That's what she said and also I VERY MUCH agree.

Daunting, just distressingly daunting. :lol: I'd love to try though haha. The q-tuners look like you could beat someone to death with them, I don't know if I've seen coloured pickups that long.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't see any fret lines. I don't know if I'd be comfortable enough with my ears to navigate that fretboard!

Here's a question: He says he's got it tuned in major thirds, but that the 7th string is in unison. What the heck does that mean?

ixlramp

Reaction score
He's tuned it in Just Intonation pure major thirds, frequency ratio 5/4 = 386 cents. He starts by tuning string 7 (4th string from lowest) to G2 then tunes up, and down, from there in pure thirds. Tuning is easy by harmonics, tune the 4th harmonic of the higher string to the 5th harmonic of the lower, 5x4 = 4x5 so the strings then have their fundamental frequencies in the ratio 4:5.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
He's tuned it in Just Intonation pure major thirds, frequency ratio 5/4 = 386 cents. He starts by tuning string 7 (4th string from lowest) to G2 then tunes up, and down, from there in pure thirds. Tuning is easy by harmonics, tune the 4th harmonic of the higher string to the 5th harmonic of the lower, 5x4 = 4x5 so the strings then have their fundamental frequencies in the ratio 4:5.

Oh, cool! Well, someone needs to tell him to stop referring to that thing as a guitar - it's no more related to a guitar than a violin is! And I mean that in a very positive way. It's like a whole other instrument.

')