Custom headless 10 string unlined fanned fretless

arsonist

Reaction score
im not even sure if that thing still qualifies as a guitar! :D awesome tho!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
Reversed strings, Steinberger gearless tuners and Q-Tuner pickups ...

Very nice build indeed!
Having just gotten a 7-string bass, I think I could get used to a multistring fretless :eek:

I'm interested in your experiences with the gearless tuners, like how smooth, tuning stability..
I've been looking at those before; it seems strings gets quite some breakage over the tuner entry point, which may or may not be a problem :dunno:

Also, thanks for the intonation theory reference in your unfretted.com thread, will look up on this, theoretical knowledge is always interesting ;)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Very interesting tuning...the octaves are a little off from 2:1, which you don't see in just tuning, so I'm guessing he's used some sort of pseudo-pythagorean tuning.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Very interesting tuning...the octaves are a little off from 2:1, which you don't see in just tuning, so I'm guessing he's used some sort of pseudo-pythagorean tuning.
He's tuned it in Just Intonation pure major thirds, frequency ratio 5/4 = 386 cents. He starts by tuning string 7 (4th string from lowest) to G2 then tunes up, and down, from there in pure thirds. Tuning is easy by harmonics, tune the 4th harmonic of the higher string to the 5th harmonic of the lower, 5x4 = 4x5 so the strings then have their fundamental frequencies in the ratio 4:5.

What's wrong with tuning an instrument into standard tunings? :lol:
That aside; HOLY COW:holy:
I do not want one myself, but I WANT TO TRY IT!

ixlramp

Reaction score

heyimdallas

Reaction score
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--
I couldn't imagine trying to navigate that fretboard haha. It's got basically zero reference as to where intonation would be. If I were to make a fanned fretless, I'd REALLY need some lines for intonation.
But if this dude can swing it, props to him!

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
From so much win...

33612_148744145167984_100000971988451_222389_6995590_n.jpg

...to so much FAIL.

74512_160271240681941_100000971988451_275953_2908042_n.jpg

I have friends and acquaintances who build high end custom instruments, and often they are approached by people who want some new esoteric tuning or severely non-standard features. They give a price quote, and on rare occasions the person goes for it.

What happens next is that all the theoretical ideas behind the "innovation" never really seem to translate into new and unique music which is as interesting as the speculation which led to the instrument.

I'm hoping at some point to hear something on this instrument which couldn't have been achieved any other way. Otherwise I'll not be inclined to forgive transforming an organic-looking design into something more mundane with that coat of banana yellow....

')