Custom Ibanezish guitar makers...

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Jemsite and the thread in question. Chris is slow to get stuff done and bad with time estimates, but as I said yours is the first complaint I've seen with the quality of his work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
What about Sherman Guitars? By the looks of it there's some amazing work going on there!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From everything I have seen Mike Sherman does AMAZING work. There was a recent interview with him here in the interviews section, in fact.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ar...nterview-michael-sherman-sherman-guitars.html

There's also a lot of threads on his work posted in the ERG section here.

The down side is I don't think Mike will build you a neckthrough RG clone. Now if you want to do an RGish design of your own, that's another story entirely. He's on here regularly, shoot him a PM and ask :agreed:

Actually looking at the bottom of the thread, he's reading this right now :lol:

Reaction score
Pretty cool. I live in Connecticut obviously. Never heard of Michael before but it looks like he knows something about building instruments.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Mike stole the crank start to my liver. :(

Sims UK are an interesting company - I think they did a lot of LED inlay work for Vai along with those daft laser finger things. :lol:

At any rate, Blackmachine pwns everone so far. :lol:

RGGR

Reaction score
I've learned that the only way to get a custom guitar is to pay a master luthier to build it for you to your specs. So plan on spending no less than $2500.00 if not twice that and waiting for approximately one year. That's pretty much the way that all successful businesses run like the custom shops from ESP and Jackson. Most people are put off by their prices and delivery times but after taking it in the butt from so called custom builders , I've learned the hard way that it's the only way you will get what you want and be guaranteed that it works.

True! But please tell this to hurds of guitarists who think they still can get a full custom for $500. Too many customers screwed by too many would-be luthiers.....

I have become an apprentice luthier and by next summer, I believe that i will complete my first Ibanez clone 7 string. At least anything I put together will work. Even if it takes me 1 year to do it.
That the only way to go.

If you have money.....go and find the best luthier you can find and expect to pay top-dollar.

If you don't have the money and don't want to invest time and effort in learning to build a guitar....please buy on in the store.

If you do want to invest time, tools, and effort in building a guitar.....you never look back and build you dream guitar. Reading up on projectguitar.com this whole guitar building idea looked very do-able to me. ...... and although I screw-up so once in a while.......it's so much fun...and I learned more about guitars then I ever thought possible. So go out and build your dream guitar.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Mike stole the crank start to my liver. :(

Sims UK are an interesting company - I think they did a lot of LED inlay work for Vai along with those daft laser finger things. :lol:

At any rate, Blackmachine pwns everone so far. :lol:

Stitch, the crank start for your liver is being stashed away for the whammy bar on your pink 8 string:stitch: :rofl:

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
that doesn't look very RG-esque... :scratch:

Yeah, I decided to go for the single cutaway les paul-ish look. That's by far not the final design but its a good sketch, I'm gonna start by stretching it out a bit but I still think this will come out as a sick looking guitar if ever it comes to fruition :yesway:

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
Yeah, I decided to go for the single cutaway les paul-ish look. That's by far not the final design but its a good sketch, I'm gonna start by stretching it out a bit but I still think this will come out as a sick looking guitar if ever it comes to fruition :yesway:

though that body style isn't my cup of tea, a neck-through les paul with a wizard neck profile sounds like a really cool idea. good luck in your luthier search.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
though that body style isn't my cup of tea, a neck-through les paul with a wizard neck profile sounds like a really cool idea. good luck in your luthier search.

I'm not sure how much of the funds I have on hand right now though. How does it usually work? Downpayment and the rest payed upon completion?

*buy my jem*buy my jem*buy my jem*

:lol:

Eric

Reaction score
:agreed:

that's usually how it works and, thought it depends on the builder or company, the downpayment is usually about 50% of total price.

Wow Shawn, you seem to have a vast amount of knowledge regarding custom guitars and luthiers... where did you get your work done?

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
Wow Shawn, you seem to have a vast amount of knowledge regarding custom guitars and luthiers... where did you get your work done?

i haven't had any work done.
but i've spent large amounts of time looking into private luthiers, because i've wanted to have a custom built for quite some time.

also, i hardly think one comment regarding a common downpayment percentage qualifies as a "vast amount of knowledge regarding custom guitars and luthiers." :agreed:

Eric

Reaction score
i haven't had any work done.
but i've spent large amounts of time looking into private luthiers, because i've wanted to have a custom built for quite some time.

also, i hardly think one comment regarding a common downpayment percentage qualifies as a "vast amount of knowledge regarding custom guitars and luthiers." :agreed:

In case you didn't detect the blatant sarcasm in my comment - it was present. I just think it's funny that whenever I read a thread your two cents is plastered all over my monitor whilst you seem to have no experience to back the claims and suggestions you make to other forum members (ie. the carvin thread you have about 50% of the posts in commenting about the wood specs). Either you have spent a hell of a lot of time playing a wide array of other peoples instruments or the advice you give is comprised of pure speculation or regurgitation of other peoples first hand experiences and information. There is no need to post just to post if you really don't know what you are talking about - the people that ask questions are probably targeting people with some kind of experience in the topic in question. No offense but I don't see the point in non-stop posting just to see your name on the thread. :2c:

And U.D. -

Yea I have ET doing two builds for me right now. I won't have the first in my possession until next month so I can't really give an in depth analysis as of yet.

')