Custom Ibanezish guitar makers...

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I just got a reply from ET guitars. They told me that they won't start doing any neckthru work until early next year. So we'll see what happens. Though I'm really digging sherman guitars right now to be honest.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
In case you didn't detect the blatant sarcasm in my comment - it was present. I just think it's funny that whenever I read a thread your two cents is plastered all over my monitor whilst you seem to have no experience to back the claims and suggestions you make to other forum members (ie. the carvin thread you have about 50% of the posts in commenting about the wood specs). Either you have spent a hell of a lot of time playing a wide array of other peoples instruments or the advice you give is comprised of pure speculation or regurgitation of other peoples first hand experiences and information. There is no need to post just to post if you really don't know what you are talking about - the people that ask questions are probably targeting people with some kind of experience in the topic in question. No offense but I don't see the point in non-stop posting just to see your name on the thread. :2c:

with regards to this thread, i didn't pretend to know about anyting i didn't know about. i didn't discuss which builders make better quality guitars, which builders have faster completion times, or anything like that. i have, however, contacted many builders about prices and deposits, and 50% is the deposit that most of the builders i contacted gave me.

in response to your comment about the carvin thread, i have owned 6 carvins to date, all with different wood combinations. i'm also good friends with a general manager and another employee of the carvin store in santa ana, california. with their and my guitars combined, i have extensively played about thirty carvins. within those ~thirty guitars, i have played most of the wood combinations that people generally ask about. on top of that, my two friends and i have tried a fuckton of pickups in those different wood combinations. i think i am qualified to answer a few questions about pickups or wood choices in carvin guitars.

also, unless i'm just trying to be funny (or commenting on someone else who is), i generally don't post unless i have a piece of info that i think might be helpful to the OP, or whoever is asking a question. i never sit down at the computer and think "okay, time to do some post-whoring".

ryanadam

Reaction score
Hey guys, stumbled upon this site through a Google hit...

Anyhow, I just wanted to assure anyone interested in my work that everything coming out of my shop is pretty much ready for finish.

Any photos of guitars you see on the site with router burn and other so-called imperfections are from early stages of the build. The photos are on the site to document the steps the wood goes through to become a guitar.

I've left everything as-is, warts and all, to allow anyone viewing my work to see that everything is 100% handmade and done one at a time. I'm surprised that the honesty I've tried to demonstrate has somehow come across as evidence of shoddy work. I try to stress the handmade aspect of my work because nothing brings a machine-made factory guitar to life like putting a one-of-a-kind body on it. All the hardware fits perfectly to spec, the shape is right but it also has soul, feeling and life - things that no CNC router can ever provide.

If anything is shoddy, it's my website skills. An earlier version of the site showed the full build (with step by step details) of a solid maple RG-7. This was the first guitar I ever made and I'm sure it's the one you noticed the router marks on. Since then, the site has undergone some revisions so the step-by-step is gone but some of the pictures remain. Again, the photos of this guitar are to show the steps involved - not the finished product.

There are plenty of other guitars and bodies which show solid craftsmanship and with the exception of one guy who got pissed because he couldn't fit a Lo-TRS trem (even tho I specifically said all my stuff is designed to fit Edge-7 and Lo-Pro Edge-7 hardware) I have not had a single complaint about my work.

I'll see what I can do to revamp the site to make it clear what's what.

For what it's worth, I have some extra wood so if anyone on this site is interested in a 2-piece mahogany or 2-piece swamp ash RG-7 body I'll be happy to cut a deal in exchange for solid feedback if you're happy with it. Of course, you're free to rag on it if it sucks, but I hope my offer speaks for my confidence in my work.

Ryan Adam

his Tele and the archtop RG look solidly done, but many of his other bodies have router burn on the end grain and sloppy route lines as though his template shifted. maybe those bodies were trial runs, but the fact that he's showing them on his website and that they don't look professional quality would make me dubious.

sixxgunneruv777bk

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have some extra wood so if anyone on this site is interested in a 2-piece mahogany or 2-piece swamp ash RG-7 body I'll be happy to cut a deal in exchange for solid feedback if you're happy with it. Of course, you're free to rag on it if it sucks, but I hope my offer speaks for my confidence in my work.

Ryan Adam[/QUOTE]

VERY interested in a JEM body for my 7-string UV777BK. Am willing to provide you with extensive feedback in exchange for a fair priced body. I have made my own before and its not something that you just blast out, especially with all the details like on a JEM body.

Please let me know if your serious, as I am currently looking high and low for this body.:shred:

Thanks!
PM if you want as well.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
VERY interested in a JEM body for my 7-string UV777BK. Am willing to provide you with extensive feedback in exchange for a fair priced body. I have made my own before and its not something that you just blast out, especially with all the details like on a JEM body.

Please let me know if your serious, as I am currently looking high and low for this body.:shred:

Thanks!
PM if you want as well.

your probably just better off emailing him instead

Johann

Midnight Walker
Reaction score
Do any of you know anyone who can make custom Ibby-like guitars? I was really interested with Chris wood's products but the whole "I don't answer emails and do custom work but not really" thing just turns me off. I just want to get a 7 string RG or S shaped neckthru body with a certain neck profile and then have it finished. I can do all the electronics and stuff myself.

Full on custom work is good too, I really don't care as long as its neckthru and has that wizard profile that I'm so addicted to :wub:

you mean something like this?

my.php

Johann

Midnight Walker
Reaction score
^^^ whered you get that made? that thing looks phenominal!

is not mine, it was made by a friend who actually only makes 7 string guitars here in argentina... the only one in my city ^^

you will be surprised when i tell you that that thing was made with cedar (top quality, not cheap cedar) and how good it sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUxuJbyc8E0

That's him testing the guitar, i'll order him a Jackson KV7 replica with FR as soon as i get some money :rolleyes:

')