Custom Kelly 7 string

alexggbr

Reaction score
I'm getting my 1st 7 string made. I chose a jackson kelly model [which I owned and I am crazy about], with the following specs:
- 7 string;
- 26.5" scale;
- "vinhático" body [I couldn't find an English word for this wood, it is somewhat simillar to mahogany in density, but a bit lighter and less bassy];
- quartersawn maple neck;
- ebony fingerboard;
- figured maple veneer on the headstock;
- set in neck;
- tune-o-matic bridge with strings through body;
- JB-7 and Jazz-7 passive pickups;
- Schaller mini locking tuners;
- Inlays: white abalone triangles;
- White finish with black bevels;

These are the pics so far. What I like about this luthier is that he is really concerned about finishing and playability of the guitar, so the neck profile is just awesome, really comfortable [for those who enjoy thin necks].

OgAAANW7Mf1OhMLof5D0aajDPKWvp-SiLcCLT6kDOuqBrcA8IlhoDDFDt7SDZkime7wnTG5cnaUVp-6D2eps--m_39kAm1T1UBvb-Zy4kNm6Gb2WNV7yLKZg1_rO.jpg

OgAAAJ9AkUI8VsMLZyN11DWXTJpaU0gacMOD0A0pui0FXNiE7WI0PjDP23T4Z195v0ChwVkbecMlknc9nKqP7e-dBVMAm1T1UArwhwd4TbicYLFCYl5PnGfCz2OY.jpg

OgAAAF5UMUZ96D4ZZn2nWXl1bOGMGztyeFWPdtop3xBfJyXn-8EmLvuzWM92IxuYcdnwk6TGO-TYbOqfaGAx7j8QUgIAm1T1UL-hPVX2uNQPCCwruh6vH2r44gjT.jpg

OgAAADJwQvxl9YakE-8_Wl-IMF4oRLHBAbpEYPc3rPVq6oNachtMYRsAeyEznG9tP0FBoBp4qmIKVgkuX-9SmO0V71sAm1T1UIsV6WFgC1U_sFlJ06m3JSmeGcJf.jpg

I'll post more pics as it gets closer to conclusion...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Looks interesting and rather badassed, definitely. "Persea indica" looks to be some sort of avocado wood....

Sebastian

Reaction score
I believe this is the wrong forums section for this kind of a thread...

Still looks great so far ! Hope the headstock will look like a Jackson :metal:

Banana Wedgie

Bored 13 year old
Reaction score
Looks great, you have taste in guitars!

I then I stumbled across this ...

What I like about this luthier is that he is really concerned about finishing and playability of the guitar, so the neck profile is just awesome, really comfortable [for those who enjoy thin necks].

Who is this luthier? I like thin necks and the Kelly body :yesway:

Therefore, I will pay him the price several internal organs for a 6 string version of yours. :agreed:

alexggbr

Reaction score
Well, I actually redesigned the headstock a little bit so that the 1st string would follow more of a straight line between the nut and tuners, but still looks pretty jackson to me. Actually, it looks more like Jackson than an Indian cheap Jackson I owned...

Who is this luthier? I like thin necks and the Kelly body

Therefore, I will pay him the price several internal organs for a 6 string version of yours.

His name is Fraterno and he lives here in Natal/RN/Brazil. He is the best luthier I know here. He does a really great job, since buying wood to, as I said, finishing and stuff. He also gives lifetime guarantee on his instruments, so whenever one needs to do any ajustments to it he does it for free.

The only con is that since he builds everything in a pretty handcrafted way, he doesn't do some sorts of finishing, like crazy custom MOP or abalone inlays or bindings. The ones on my guitar I did it myself. Custom crazy paintings is a no-go, too.

But aside from that, he is the best I know and will definitely have him making other guitars for me. He makes all kinds of stringed instruments,from acoustic 6,7 and 8 string guitars [his actual expertise], to craviolas, basses, electric guitars, you name it. Banana Wedgie, add me on Windows Live Messenger if you want to get in touch with him.
alexggbr@gmail.com

Sebastian

Reaction score
Well, I actually redesigned the headstock a little bit so that the 1st string would follow more of a straight line between the nut and tuners, but still looks pretty jackson to me. Actually, it looks more like Jackson than an Indian cheap Jackson I owned..

Well yeah the 1st will be straight line.. but the 7th will have an insane angle :spock: ...
could be the pics .. heh...
I'm just sayin' :cool:

Still can't wait to see more progress pics :metal:

alexggbr

Reaction score
Well yeah the 1st will be straight line.. but the 7th will have an insane angle :spock: ...
could be the pics .. heh...
I'm just sayin' :cool:

True! The thing is I prefer that on the 7th rather than the 1st ... anyway, i suppose it was a good compromise. :agreed:

Sebastian

Reaction score
True! The thing is I prefer that on the 7th rather than the 1st ... anyway, i suppose it was a good compromise. :agreed:

Well.. if you would use the "COW7" headstock just not reversed..the angles would be ok :cool:

still its probably the pics ... cant wait to see some more :yesway:

alexggbr

Reaction score
Well.. if you would use the "COW7" headstock just not reversed..the angles would be ok

Is this the headstock you mentioned? the 1st two on the left
DSCN3231.jpg

I confess that I hadn't seen this headstock model before, but I couldnt think of a different one for the Kelly design. Even the reversed one I think it looks terrible (I saw Silenoz using one in a dimmu borgir video)

Sebastian

Reaction score
Actually the first two from the left have the SLS headstock, the 3rd from left is a COW7...
I think the reversed headstock rules, but hey... I have one :wavey:

What I meant was ... take the reversed headstock.. and unreverse it :D
so it looks like this:
jacksonprofessionalseri.jpg

Or this:
Jackson-7-soloist.jpg

alexggbr

Reaction score
Oh I see! Yeah the 1st string is not as angled as I thought. It looks nice! And I actually like the reversed headstock, even in terms of ease of access to the tuners I think it's better, but I don't think it looks good on a kelly, it kind of..."breaks" the line and direction of the design.

Anyway, got some new pics of the bevels and inlays in place (/anxiety mode on)

OgAAAMXLlKT8U5tcubEEWx_n6HaYQCtLTIkLLSzgMoIDKDoKim5Ry9Cca2eeYsypJWnPKn56e2dK4VkzAO0qPucSQdoAm1T1ULYsgtAp-d3MFhLsSBWo0eL8N43V.jpg

OgAAAIKTW1GrurL6wnwKodbuQaqFjuhYyPF1cR9g-vYTO3lc3bVqGGaXUkF-SH6ENBsVuXqN2dmnoEky-z77IpaDbUkAm1T1UGgCAkDEqgV2jqKjH2eTXxRWOm9_.jpg

OgAAAHGS_RD9blHozMrLPNA8g-bZw2X__ST4juL3PQkuXsaIitXtyyKXWFWH55f8v5KrUQO71yQvtS03D0c7QYmzRt8Am1T1UGRKQTvpeKP7TIbwq6s5r-Bka2S6.jpg

OgAAAA4pers5b_lIKxKPjjrl61ButfJnEaqiTErX86CN0LqANdhheTQtyb_V9oAy38RAoRchvCIiK047kdPF2AEB_egAm1T1UAXlhKigcEvSM7mf4sk562ta7Zep.jpg

OgAAAAM-EUG9rVrzKnlcytzdWb7rIGFv2WN0jHKYIyY5HBHzr1-IZXhHqCtZf9BXrFfn_KQb8jAACVUEMxEY6Cqm0m4Am1T1UMwaS1GLD3Ep3QUiJ_SiEl-6bMos.jpg

OgAAAB6LYkBSNI_Exq6Mq1Hs5HRtLPhYQH-3t6cH6Okt4N8nnSyF5lUPoSteJGLMcm5eBIvqV95xjxOhyPx8xzX27sgAm1T1UI7VXBGSHdFs7V1ktykeWlDNkm-p.jpg

alexggbr

Reaction score
I had a Jackson with sharkfin inlays ... and I got tired of it. Then I saw this pattern on a ESP(Galder signature) and I really liked it. Plus I am lazy and triangle inlays were easier to work on.. hehehehe

Reaction score
I like it, and i dont usually like Kellys. Make sure and show us how it turns out.

And if you ever decide to part with that Jackson SLSMG...get a hold of me!

')