Custom Kelly 7 string

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I though you guys were talking about the installation of the inlays, not the shape. I'm not a huge fan of them, but because of the placement. OP, are the inlays a consistent distance from the edge of the fretboard? It looks like they're closer to the edge at the first fret than they are at the 24th fret. Is that the case, or am I just seeing it wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

durangokid

derka derka!!
Reaction score
aewww,mais um brazuca aqui! seja bem vindo

about the guitar, it looks awsome,i like the inlays idea but the last one looks odd,the one on the 24 fret.

alexggbr

Reaction score
Hey guys thank u all for the comments (ré mais brazucas no pedaço :hbang:)!

About the inlays: they're not perfectly distributed (positioning from edge and frets and stuff). I had the position perfectly designed on Corel Draw, but the laser carving guys who marked the outlines somehow were able to screw up the alignment. And at the time I was really pissed off about a lot of things that were already going wrong with this guitar project, so I just said fuck it and decided to go for it anyway. After all it looks actually better than I expected :metal:
I was really surprised it took a while for ppl to notice these flaws heehhehe

Anyway hadn't had time to update but on the moment it's all painted white and some back and headstock black details have already been done. Also there will be some details in laminated mother of pearl (actually greenlip abalone, the same used on the inlays. the seller had sold me as being "white abalone" by the time I bought it but later he's updated the naming to being actually "greenlip abalone"...:nuts: whatever, looks great anyway :yesway:) on both headstock and back of the guitar. I also decided to not go for the black bevels [she looked so great all in white :bowdown: ].

Will post more pics later this week!

alexggbr

Reaction score
Finally I got to update this! These are the pictures of the finished product (not QUITE, the truss rod cover is not in place :p). I have to say that I was baffled on how BEAUTIFUL and AWESOME this thing sounds and plays. The neck is incridiblebly confortable, the sound is bright, powerful and alive. The sustain is amazing. The guitar even when unplugged, already sounds loud:bowdown:. I did expect it to sound nice, but not THAT nice. Will soon post links to some sound samples. The finishing hade a little minor flaws, but really minor.

So, onto the pictures:

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

alexggbr

Reaction score
forgot to mention, it also got really really light. Talk about a nice wood for solid guitars after all!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Looks good! The only criticism I'd have is that it doesn't look like he had a real steady hand when doing the black line painting. But I like the abalone.

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
If this thing had a hipshot I would fly down there and steal it .... but as is,
o_O awesome !!!!!
REP'd

Guitar Nymph

Mulatto Metal
Reaction score
The guitar looks sweet! Although what's even better is hearing how happy you are with it :agreed:

What inlay material was used on the body?
Is that awabi shell?
Looking forward to sound clips!

alexggbr

Reaction score
thanks u all for the compliments!! I AM really happy with it! heeheh
About the inlay material on the body, this is a MOP laminate I bought from this guy on eBay (Home), he sells all sorts of shell and stuff. I bought from him both the laminate and the actual shells (greenlip abalone). This laminate looks like the shell so I think it would be made from it.
Here is a pic of each of the laminates I bought (i bought this white and a dark one-which I ultimately didn't use).
laminadosdemopeabalonebrancocopy.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score
Didn't notice this earlier :lol:

The guitar looks great , much much better than I thought !

Congrats :metal:

subsoil

Reaction score
love it dude, I'm also currently looking for a white guitar. I guess the trend went down from cars to guitars :)

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
that came out great!
congrats, I like the inlays they're different (which I think is always a good thing).

Reaction score
daaamn man that guitar is extra sweet :shred: I'm proud to see that the 7 string world hasn't forgotten the jackson kelly shape. I'm gonna have me one of those one day, albeit pretty different. May you play it in good health :D

')