Custom LP building (need some advice)

• Thread starter rudeez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rudeez

vildhjarta
Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is gonna be kinda a "need help" and "show off" thread.
Like 1½ year ago i bought a 7 string guitar and im all into 7'ns nowadays and my old LP started to collecting dust. So i decided to crank it up a bit by make it heavy custom. Diden't thought about the issues before i started and it ended up with leaving it for 1 year in a corner here at home. Now i decided to take up the work with it again. the problem is, i was going to change the binding on it since the old one have started to crack and stuff so i bought new binding, to bad in wrong dimension. So there i stood witha neck without bindings and no idea how to actually repair a neck, i even took 4-5 frets of it at the bottom (yes im an idiot). Started to work on the body finish instead and the body is close to be done really but the neck is still fuckedup and missing bindings and 4-5 frets at the bottom of it. And since it's not a bolt on neck i find it hard to replace it aswell. My idea was to make it clean and put some string through on it.

All that stuff has been no problems and the pics will probably speak for themself, But yeah. The neck is my main problem here.. Im quite sure that im not able to get a new binding on there, lacking experince and lacking tools for it aswell. So i got two options: 1. Polish the frets/tree material flat like there never was any binding there or 2. Just give it to someone that actually can put a binding on there and spend like god knows how much to get it fixed.

My worries about polish it down flat is that, maybe the neck will be way to thin to be playable or uncomfortable, even tho it's not much that needs to be polished away, like 1.5mm on each side of the neck...

You guys think that will work or?

3. option may be to actually try to equip a bolt on neck?

Since it's a old epiphone guitar i don't wanna spend to much money on it either..

Any tips/ideas about the polishing on the neck sides? will it work or end up in a nightmare just..?

Take a look at the pics and try to get a idea of what i mean.

/cheers Jimmie

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 19

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
how bad is the neck damage? just binding issues?
ive only done minor binding repairs, but its pretty simple, especially along a neck. id get it refretted first, refrets on bound necks are usually alot more costly, and THEN repair the binding though. project guitar has lots of tips on that

SHREDTOKILL

LOW AND SLOW
Reaction score
at first i thought that was a gibson and i was gonna freak out but, then i read a little bit.
good luck with the build.
and welcome to TEH ORGZZ

rudeez

vildhjarta
Reaction score
thx for ze welcome! even tho i've been a member for quite long, im used to just sneak around and read ^^ about the neck, well, it's not damaged in any way, it's just the binding that is the main issue and the 4-5 missing frets are no problem since i have them left and can just glue them back so... but is it possible to polish the neck down instead of putting on new bindings and make it like there never where any bindings on it?

SHREDTOKILL

LOW AND SLOW
Reaction score
i would buy some abonlone binding and slap it on there.
as for the frets, you should just pull them all and do a re fret if you think you could do it (really not that hard)

rudeez

vildhjarta
Reaction score
well, i wouldent mind if it was a gibson anyway haha, gibsons sucks aswell so :)

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Stemac

Buy some binding there and start learnin! Modding and making guitars kicks ass. You could also learn how to refret a guitar with this one as well.

rudeez

vildhjarta
Reaction score
Well, since im living in a small town with a sortiment at the music store not to big it will be hard finding the right binding.. I prefer to test my idea of polish each side doen like 1-1.5mm but.. anyone done that? Im afraid the both E string will get to close the edge of each side and easily bend outside the neck when played..

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, since im living in a small town with a sortiment at the music store not to big it will be hard finding the right binding.. I prefer to test my idea of polish each side doen like 1-1.5mm but.. anyone done that? Im afraid the both E string will get to close the edge of each side and easily bend outside the neck when played..

Yeah, somehow, i doubt that would work. get the binding from stewmac

')