Custom mounting rings....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
nice stuff. do you have a paintshopped picture of one of your guitars with those on fo rus to see the results?

did you like the pictures of Mozart i posted earlier?!!!

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Frets on the Net is a famous name around these parts, especially for making conversion rings for those wishing to swap out their EMG 808s for Lundgren or Bare Knuckle pickups.

Good to hear more Hufschmid progression. :metal:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
nice stuff. do you have a paintshopped picture of one of your guitars with those on fo rus to see the results?

did you like the pictures of Mozart i posted earlier?!!!

Since my 8 string pickups are not standard in dimention I always mount them direct to the body...

I'm not a fan of direct mount, I prefer rings this is why I'm having those rings made....

I dont have any pics, but those rings are designed to match to perfection the measures of my pickups....

The 7 string rings will be perfect, right now a standard 7 string mounting ring is a little to big...

Checking your pics now

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I too am not a fan of direct-mounting pickups. I don't like the lugs to be visible.

I had my own custom pickup-rings made from ebony. :hbang:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I too am not a fan of direct-mounting pickups. I don't like the lugs to be visible.

I had my own custom pickup-rings made from ebony. :hbang:

My rings are a little bigger on the 2 sides then a regular mounting ring to give it a sharp look, its going to be brutal :hbang:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I think that he's referring to standard seven-string pickup covers. I know that many of us (me included) wish that Bare Knuckle was able to offer the same range of covers for their seven-string line. :(

Personally, pickups look better with covers. Aesthetically, your Kent Armstrong pickups are great, Patrick. :metal:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
know that many of us (me included) wish that Bare Knuckle was able to offer the same range of covers for their seven-string line. :(

We're working on that. Should have some news on that by the end of the summer.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
zimbloth for teh res-q!

seriously though, i love that!

and Patrick, here i was hoping the rings would be brushed aluminum :D

that's cool that you're getting something that's essentialy unique hardware though! :)

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
I think that he's referring to standard seven-string pickup covers. I know that many of us (me included) wish that Bare Knuckle was able to offer the same range of covers for their seven-string line. :(

Personally, pickups look better with covers. Aesthetically, your Kent Armstrong pickups are great, Patrick. :metal:

thats what i meant. thansk

yeah your kent armstrongs do look reallly really nice.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Dave does do awesome work
Zim, you should see if you can get Tim to make a 707 sized passive so we can convert back without all of the headaches.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dave does do awesome work
Zim, you should see if you can get Tim to make a 707 sized passive so we can convert back without all of the headaches.

That's just not going to happen IMO. Way too much involved in tooling up for 707 sized bobbins. Besides, I think out of principle if I was BKP I would refuse to base my operation on EMG's laziness in using bass housings :)

zimbloth for teh res-q!

seriously though, i love that!

and Patrick, here i was hoping the rings would be brushed aluminum :D

that's cool that you're getting something that's essentialy unique hardware though! :)

NP dude, it should be awesome when it goes down.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
So I received the mounting rings...

There was a mistake in the measures, probably on my side and Dave offered to give me a refund which was very kind...

But no need too I'm not that thype of person so I filed down the rings until the pickup fitted perfectly, so here are the 8 string rings...

Those are not the real rings but a mold will be made with those ones, the final rings will be of the same material as my pickups are made from...

So the rings are bigger then a standard design on the edges which will make for a much sharper look on my instruments :metal:

l_84819f13eac34023aafd3d08f39b0a3f.jpg

l_f2d1698a4a88496dbc952059fc8bdf13.jpg

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
cool! are the pickup rings going to have that circular-sander type semi-matte look, like the pickups?

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
cool! are the pickup rings going to have that circular-sander type semi-matte look, like the pickups?

On the first picture you can see that the aluminium was micro blasted giving it a rough feeling (like your computer screen surounding)

So the mould that Kent will make will of course be the exact negative replica of the aluminium ring....

At that point he can clone then and anytime I order an 8 string pickup, I will have the matching rings delivered with them...

He is using the waste epoxy being used to build pickups, so at the end of the day he will use that remain of epoxy to cast the pickup rings, so he can pretty much make a huge stock of mounting rings... The pickups are made with a 24 hours curing time epoxy...

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
that´s awesome! that´s much more awesome than the usual glossy plastic ones that look flimsy and wear out instantly :)

')