Custom Multiscale 8-string - Suggestions?

• Thread starter ArnoldHablewitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
If I had $5000 in my pocket for a ff 8 string build I would definitely go with Conklin or Xen it maybe even Etherial.
Most likely Xen though because I am a huge fan of all of his work and have never heard anything negative about them

Etherial intrigues me. His use of carbon fiber is so alien, but his build quality has been questionable in the past, though I see such an improvement

A $5000 Conklin buys you an 8 string with literally no options. I'm not sure they would even let you do that. :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
I've tried a Strandberg CL7 (Chris Letchford's own actually, caught him when he came into town :lol:) and I'm in absolute love with it. My next guitar will definitely be a CL7. I would without doubt recommend the Astral Boden 8 as well.

That aside, I've never played a Skervesen but hear nothing but great things. Their appearance is absolutely stunning as well.

celticelk

Reaction score
The thing to keep in mind about XEN is that Eric doesn't builds the guitars himself - he produces the designs and collaborates with small luthiers to build the instruments. That said, he's picking good partners: the guys who have received their instruments from the OAF/XEN run seem uniformly happy with them, and my own experience with Tom's work has been outstanding. I'd definitely buy from him again. If I had a $5000 budget, though, I'd probably be calling up ONI - something about Dan's work just mesmerizes me.

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
There is a lot of "go to" luthiers in your price range,
most of them have a certain distinct style or trademark.

for something more "traditional", I'd do some research on the works of
Daemoness (played 2 guitars, felt good - amazing inlays)
Jaden Rose
Skervesen
Vik (if he does another run, currently his waitlist is closed, afaik - but amazing guitars and sick woodwork!)
Oni (heard amazing stuff and love his designs)

headless go to:
Strandberg (even though youd be getting a production model, the waitlist for real customs is looooong)
Xen

do some research, maybe even contact he luthier and see what the reactions are,
when you are spending so much money, the luthiers approach should match your desires

ArnoldHablewitz

Thrash4ever
Reaction score
would I really need $5K for a Xen though? I mean, pricing out the options and it doesn't seem like it's even near that for an amazing instrument with great materials. Albeit I might be willing to spend more for a Cocobolo top, but that's kinda of a 'want' thing, not a need...

codycarter

Reaction score
would I really need $5K for a Xen though? I mean, pricing out the options and it doesn't seem like it's even near that for an amazing instrument with great materials. Albeit I might be willing to spend more for a Cocobolo top, but that's kinda of a 'want' thing, not a need...

Custom guitars are more of a 'want' thing, not a need

')