Custom RG2228

• Thread starter reklawhcaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Measure and line it up so it'll go with the bridge rout. Try putting the bridge on top of the ziricote and see if it's possible to make it work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I can't say I'd personally have gone for pearloid, but who knows... might come out looking pretty cool.

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
Got one side on and (very) rough cut in the outlines of the body and routes. I went with the original bookmatch but couldn't get the "ship" to stay. When the route is fully routed you won't see it at all. I left a lot of meat on it (the edges of the body and routes) because you can always take more off but not put it back on (easily) and I'll get the final version with a rasp and sanding.

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
Got the second half glued on last night.

To get the wood to "bend" to the contour of the arm cut away, I used a wet rag and one of my heavier c-clamps to get the wood to bend. It'll probably sit there for a day or so and should be good to go then.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, mate. :yesway: If you do the sawdust and glue trick on that center line then the gap will pretty much disappear.

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
Yeah it won't look as bad when I sand it either. The right side ended up a hair taller than the left. I can feel it when I run my hand over it.

TubeOrgasmer

Reaction score
I was wondering how you were going to apply the veneer to the contour, that's something that I've been contemplating for a while now, thanks!

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
Man I wish it was a veneer. It'd be so easy to get it to contour. I know whatcha mean though. I got the idea from watching factory tour of carvin. They utilize the same technique.

Chemical-Pony

Reaction score
How did you get the original finish off? Did you use a heat gun or just sand it?

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
How did you get the original finish off? Did you use a heat gun or just sand it?

I used a gel paint stripper and sanding. I've done that with all the guitars I've stripped and it works best for me. The toughest part it's getting the wood sealer under the paint off.

superash

Reaction score
That top looks great.
Hope it goes on without a hitch!

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
How about the tru-oil wetsanding technique for grain filling? I guess that'd be the best for all wood-ness, but I don't remember which finish you were going to put on this?

OWHall

young scoundrel
Reaction score
Question... Did you sand down the top before adding the new wood or is this now slightly thicker than a standard RG? Looks amazing so far by the way, nice work!

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
How about the tru-oil wetsanding technique for grain filling? I guess that'd be the best for all wood-ness, but I don't remember which finish you were going to put on this?

Yeah that's exactly the route I'm going. It's by far my favorite finish for natural tops.

Question... Did you sand down the top before adding the new wood or is this now slightly thicker than a standard RG? Looks amazing so far by the way, nice work!
Thank you! No it's going to be slightly thicker. Truth be told I didn't think about it until I got it on and was like "well damn"

reklawhcaz

Hi-tech Red-neck
Reaction score
So sorry for the non-updates. I've been working 60+ hours a week and attempting to work on this at 10:00 at night. Of course the wifey no likey. Haha. I got the routes closer to actual fit. Ignore the first picture of the binding being glued as I still had the routes rough.

Then here is the binding scraped and level as well as an even closer version of the routes. Still have some hand sanding to do.

')