Custom shop dissapointment

• Thread starter hikizume976
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Dude that sucks about the case. I think it is a bit miniscule on the grand scheme of things (I still think it sucks and i would be mildly angry about it as well), but as long as the guitar got there in good condition and is of good quality that is all that really matters. Lets see pics of that guitar now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hikizume976

Reaction score
I've had a few cases for at least 7 years (one is 18 years old). Have seen many gigs and have travelled thousands of miles by air, sea and land as I've lived in four different countries. Not one case is in this condition, and this one is supposed to be brand new! IF cases are going to get trashed, I expect them to be in time, because of wear, by me. Not right out of the gate, before I've had the chance to use it for the first time.

Which is why I'm not going to buy something, have it arrive in this shape, and be cool with it, either. Never have in the past while buying not only guitars and basses, but also cabs, heads and rack gear, as well as TVs, computers, sound systems, etc. So why start now?

However, not getting what I payed for, whatever the reason, is one thing, but not one that bothers me. Seeing this issue being unresolved for almost four months and counting and feeling like it hasn't been addressed properly is a different thing. That's what bothers me. Just got to a point where I felt like this was worth sharing.

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
Sweet, You're going to get a new case. it may have taken the piss to get, but at least its sorted aye.

But more importantly........Why isn't this an NGD yet!!

Show us the Skervy!

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
if the guitars fine, and plays the way you like it, then stop with the belly aching over the case.

you'll get a new one eventually, if the case isn't seriously ....ed and the guitar is good and you love playing with it, then stop obsessing over the case and chill till you get a new one

AboutBlank

Reaction score
I've spotted reactions like that a few times on here and I have some difficulties to comprehend these. Maybe it's really a cultural thing...

I can completely understand the kind of "feeler" post about similar situations from other users. This can open the possibility of a mutual agreement without a damage of the reputation for the company.
Which seems like the intention of the OP...

I(!) totally get the frustration, if it was intended(and I don't think so) or not, you constantly have the feeling to get fiddled with every new mail or whose absence.
Not a good feeling at all, and I think many people who have ordered a custom can comprehend, atleast at some point of the order process.

I think it's a debate on basic principles.

And I, personally, see it with a lot of scepticism, if the lack of communication and sometimes rude behaviour towards the customer, get excused and/or accepted with a distressing normality.
http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.h...oc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

Yianni54

Reaction score
Gonna have to agree with OP here. He payed quite a few bucks to get a guitar and $130 euro for a case. I know I have a skervy on order. So from a business perspective he is in the right. Remove the fact that it's a guitar. What if you bought a new coffe maker and it was dented or a new piece of furniture and it had marks on it. He should get a new case no questions asked.

Now this is kinda what you get when A your dealing with a small time luthier and B your dealing with a foreign country.

Edika

Reaction score
I also too am puzzled about why every one seems dismissive of the OP's frustration. Sure it's not like the guitar is flawed or damaged, as some of the customs have been from other companies. One also might argue that the case did it's job and that the company will eventually make it right. The OP didn't say they were out to con him just that he was dissatisfied that something like this has been delayed to this extend. The guitar might be quite expensive in comparison to the cost, but it's not a free case they are sending but one he paid for.
Imagine buying a new case for your guitar and it arriving in that state. Would you say 'oh that's fine, cases are meant to protect guitars so it doesn't matter if they arrive broken. Especially since I have seen people here complain and return guitars for more trivial matters...

Churchie777

Reaction score
Had the same sort of thing with my RAN case had a crack guitar was fine thought the case was kinda shitty but didnt really bother didnt want to replace a shit case with another one and plus i didnt see it as a big deal

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd just have them refund me the cost of the case and go buy one locally.

This is really the only thing the OP should be exploring at this point. It's been months since you originally called them out on the case issue, I wouldn't wait any longer for them to drag their feet on giving you a replacement case. Call them out (you've already done so publicly, so feel free to let them know the forum is waiting to see how they handle fixing things since they've clearly dropped the ball in the customer service department :lol:) on taking too long to get you a replacement case and request that they refund you for the case, or if you're willing to keep the cracked one ask for a partial refund and then you can either scrap the case or use the funds towards buying another one yourself. The fact that they wouldn't follow up with the UPS claim (because it's a PITA and UPS ALWAYS fights damage claims despite causing so many of them!) is on them, either their packaging wasn't sufficient or they decided to be lazy, so the new case or refund is on them now. :shrug:

If the Hiscox case cracked that easily in shipping, personally I'd be looking elsewhere for a replacement so the refund route is likely your best bet. :agreed: Sucks to see the case show up cracked, but at least it wasn't as bad as the dude who got the Skervessen that the headstock blew through the end of the case.... :rofl: They really need to do a better job of getting cases that fit their shapes better (i.e. charge more and buy one of those fitted rifle cases where you can carve out the foam insert yourself) or change their shapes to fit the cases they keep ordering. :2c:

protest

Reaction score
The case did its job, it protected your guitar, I'm suprised you put so much stock in this situation to go as far as making this thread. Please explain the difference from you cracking the case in transport vs the guitar being transport to you. What's the point/purpose of the guitar case?

What's the difference between you dropping your TV and the dude from Best Buy that's carrying it to your car dropping it?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like they slipped into bizarro world when they came into this thread. The guy didn't get the case, say oh look it's broke, and come post this thread on the same day without talking to the company. You can tell by how he's hesitant in his original post (which he also got blasted for) that he knows it's just a case. But what everyone sitting here telling him "it's just a case" doesn't realize is that saying "it's just a case" is an argument against the company.

This dude spent thousands of dollars on a guitar, and yes $150-200 on the case (it's not free guys). It has taken them 4 months to maybe ship his case to him. I would be ....ing pissed! You're going to sit there after I gave you thousands of dollars for one of your products and it's going to take you ....ing 4 months to do 10 damn minutes of work. All they have to do is take a case that's probably laying around, put it in a box, package it better this time, and ship it.

It's taken them 4 months to do at most a half hour's worth of work for a guy that just gave them thousands of dollars. The fact that you all are accepting of that is baffling to me. If you bought a $200 guitar case from Guitar Center and it came broken, you'd return it and get a new one. You wouldn't say "oh well it's just a case."

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
^yup.

When you buy a case, its yours to f-up. Not other people before you even own it. If it were my guess, that 150 to 200 might eat up a bunch of their profit. Which sucks, but thats why they should have followed up with the shipper. If they were in the right, then there is no foul. So I assume they must have either screwed up packing it, the shipping company was being dicks(which i'm sure they would have mentioned), OR, they didnt even follow up for the insurance claim.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
My feeling - you paid for a new case, you should be getting that new case in new condition. I don't understand the people who say the OP is making a big deal over this. The OP didn't pay for a case with a crack in it - he paid for a new case. I'm not familiar with the case brand but if they aren't the best quality then I agree with the people who say the OP should get a refund (partial or total).

I'm probably mores sensitive since I'm a Dad who uses most of his money for his family, plus saving for the future and RARELY gets to spend money on himself. So on those times when I can spend $$$ on new things, I want them to be NEW and not damaged. Just got a case from Sweetwater through UPS - packaged great & no scratches or dings. If there was something significant I would have contacted Sweetwater right away.

Repsak

Reaction score
Why did I waste my time reading through this thread?

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
Also, I don't understand the people saying it's the OP is making such a big deal, it's a tiny thing to worry about, etc. The case I just bought was $120. I'm not going to pay $120 and get a case with a crack in it and say "that's OK". No it isn't. If you're young and don't really have any money issues, live at home w/parents or have a large bank account maybe $120 isn't a lot for you. My wife and I make a good living but still our kids and their activities cost a decent amount, plus all the other normal bills we have.

For those people saying it's not a big deal - this example. If you're in a store, looking at those bookshelves/desks/furniture - those ones that come in a box and you have to put them together. If you see a box that looks completely clean, then you see a box that has footprints on it, rips in the cardboard, etc. - which would you buy? Remember, they are both "new" and you are paying the "new" price for whichever one you choose.

I pick the untouched one.

VinnyShredz

Reaction score
I ordered from a custom shop once. I don't want to name names. I was very clear and like:
"I want half pepperoni, half pineapple."
"We'll get that to you soon, sir."
No ETA, but I'm like "whatever".
So, okay, like 30 minutes go by, I guess it finally shows up. But then it's like,
"This is half pineapple, half pepperoni."
And dude is like,
Blank stare.
So I'm like, I don't want to be that guy, but yeah, called his manager and it went to voice mail. Two weeks later and no call back.
I don't want to throw anyone under the bus or be "that dude", but I said in the voice mail that
"the garlic dipping sauce container was dented".
I don't want to spend eternity getting that right.
People are such idiots.

TL;DR: Pointless complaint post is pointless. And I'm always disappointed when a thread has no pics.

I logged in just to like this comment :lol:

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
This thread brings up an interesting topic.

I want everybody who's opinion is that Skervesen is to be held accountable for UPS's damage and bad customer service to put themselves in Skerv's shoes. Imagine shipping a used guitar that you sold to somebody on eBay and the shipper damages it and then drags their feet for months on the claim and then denies it. Are you to be held accountable for UPS's bad business practices? If the answer is no then I'd like to hear why you believe that a manufacturer or custom shop should be held to a different standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')