Custom shop in oz

• Thread starter ProgCorey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ProgCorey

Reaction score
hey, I was just wondering if anyone would know about some good luthier/custom shops in Australia at all?
I've been looking into RAN in Poland and their guitars are quite amazing, but would be easier and more affordable within Australia.

Anyone have any good reviews or know of anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
http://www.oniguitars.com/

Oni, praised around here a lot, a fair few have some so I'm sure they'll jump in and give there 2c soon.

Then theres Ormsby Guitars - Custom Guitars from Perth, Western Australia - Electric Guitars, Handmade Guitars... the worlds best guitar!

I think a thread or two has popped up about Ormbsy on here, not sure whether they venture into 7 and beyond though.

Demonx (Searls guitars) on here builds guitars in Victoria, I don't think he takes custom orders yet, even though his work looks most excellent.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
ET Guitars. He's in NSW.
noob_pwn rates his guitars over everything (he's owned/played ibanez j-customs, 3 BRJ's)

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
check out charles cilia guitars in sydney.

ET guitars is quite good but a bit outside of the sydney city.

Oni is good but I don't think he's doing customs designs outside of standard shapes that he has. Scale length and choice of hardware is still open.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
rees guitars are here in melbourne, don't know too much about how great they are.
I had cam set up a few of my guitars though and they came out really nice.

There is jim cargill down here too, He does fantastic work.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oz? Does the Tin Man run it? Is the Cowardly Lion the main builder?

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
also check out noyce guitars in ballarat, ian does amazing work.
then there is also 2012 guitars in melbourne

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
It's lovely, I'll take some photos tonight if you'd like.
Strat replica, made of tasmanian mountain ash.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
no worries man, I'll take a few. they'll only be phone quality though

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
It might pay to state some specs of what you're looking for, for example Ian Noyce makes fairly "reserved" style guitars more suitable to old rock/blues/country etc style players. If you wanted a modern 7 string specs he probably wouldn't even know what you were talking about.

I haven't played any of the other brands listed but I have heard good things about Ormsby.

I saw my name mentioned and Fiction said he's not sure if I'm talking orders.

Well, I am and I'm not. I am taking orders from people who live close enough that they can come here, play guitars I've made and tell me what they do and don't like. Then they can visit me during the process and check in that the neck is carved to their liking and fits their hand like a glove. It's just the way I want to build for now until I've established a name for myself so that I can avoid people being unhappy with their guitar.

Eventually I'll branch out and start selling further away. I build cause I like to, not as a job, so I can be fussy who I sell to!

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
It might pay to state some specs of what you're looking for, for example Ian Noyce makes fairly "reserved" style guitars more suitable to old rock/blues/country etc style players. If you wanted a modern 7 string specs he probably wouldn't even know what you were talking about.

I haven't played any of the other brands listed but I have heard good things about Ormsby.

I saw my name mentioned and Fiction said he's not sure if I'm talking orders.

Well, I am and I'm not. I am taking orders from people who live close enough that they can come here, play guitars I've made and tell me what they do and don't like. Then they can visit me during the process and check in that the neck is carved to their liking and fits their hand like a glove. It's just the way I want to build for now until I've established a name for myself so that I can avoid people being unhappy with their guitar.

Eventually I'll branch out and start selling further away. I build cause I like to, not as a job, so I can be fussy who I sell to!

true that ians designs are reserved, however i have talked to him about if he would be interested in making a seven string before and he basically said if the customer wanted it, he'd build it :yesway: that being said i would probably head to et guitars if i was wanting a rg style 7 custom
op, post some specs and it will make it alot easier to recommend biulders for you :)

')