Cutest boys in metal

• Thread starter JohnIce
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Maybe it triggers some people because they have people in their family or know people who have some kind of learning disorder, who have heard what was a medical term transform into an insult and a way to make other people feel like less of a human being. And while yes, it is clear by the context of what you're saying that you're not referring to something as being at all connected to, say, Down Syndrome, there is an assload of context that has become inexorably tied to certain words. So even if you use them in a way that is not meant to refer to a group of people, you are reminding them that a word used to describe them has been made into a way to call someone inferior and by logical extension their very existence makes them inferior.

Most often the people that feel insulted do not have anyone like that in their family. The ones offended the most are the mentally healthy. Same with saying something is "gay", the people offended the most tend to be straight. Or the infamous "n" word, really strikes a nerve in white people for some reason, while those who the supposed insult should concern simply ignore or just don't care. People feel entitled to 'protect' those people, as if those people could not fend for themselves, as if those people were worse. That is insulting, isn't it?

flint757

Reaction score
Most often the people that feel insulted do not have anyone like that in their family. The ones offended the most are the mentally healthy. Same with saying something is "gay", the people offended the most tend to be straight. Or the infamous "n" word, really strikes a nerve in white people for some reason, while those who the supposed insult should concern simply ignore or just don't care. People feel entitled to 'protect' those people, as if those people could not fend for themselves, as if those people were worse. That is insulting, isn't it?

It begs the question though, are any of those words so important to you that you feel a need to say them?

Call a black guy, in the US at least, the N word and you're probably going to get your ass beat unless you yourself are black (and using it as slang).

My Aunt, who is a lesbian, had gotten on to me many times throughout my childhood about using the word gay as a derogatory term too. Most everyone in her circle felt similarly. :shrug:

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I think it is also important to acknowledge cultural differences here.
Fun fact: In German, the word for retarded in an insulting way, and the politically correct term for handicapped or disabled is the same. If you ever hear a German using "retarded" a lot when speaking English, it's more often than not because German culture simply doesn't have a problem with it.

So should we compile a legit list of hottest guys in metal? :lol:

Does Mike Patton count?

Don Vito

Reaction score
Pre-beard Lucas Mann will forever be the cutest metal boi to me <3
tumblr_mlvxypfyvi1rzuwxao1_1280.png

Aion

Reaction score

We all have different experiences, yours have obviously been different than mine. I can tell you that almost every single non-straight person (including sexualities other than homosexual) are offended when "gay," is used as an insult, even if they don't confront you or whoever says it when it gets used. Often times because they know that if they were to engage in a direct confrontation at the time of its usage than it only puts people on the defense and doesn't help to produce any real change. Just because someone does not confront you directly does not mean that they are not offended. I like to think I've avoided the white (cis hetero male, etc.) complex, but I might be wrong. In any case, protection of anyone is not my motivation. It is being part of a minority group myself and wanting to reciprocate the support I feel when people who do not belong to the same group that I do support my right to exist.

Speaking entirely pragmatically, there were other ways to make your point when you said, "retarded." Ways that would not have resulted in some people being offended. Offending people is not bad in and of itself. We are all too comfortable with a number of truly horrible things. But if you're trying to communicate an idea, why would you purposefully alienate a section of the people you're talking to for no reason other than to show that you are not afraid to use certain words. You could have communicated the same idea, more effectively, through different word choice. Knowing that this would have been the reaction to follow (you seem like smart fellow, so I'm assuming you were able to make a good guess as to what would follow), you have built your soap box for no conceivable purpose other than to shout from it. Perhaps you wanted the argument, or maybe just the attention, either way, I hope in the future that you will think better of such transparent petulance and focus on making the most effective point to your argument rather than setting up the argument you most wish to have. The smart man wins the argument, but the wise one gets what he wants while avoiding the ruckus altogether.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or maybe the only ones you talk about this with are white and straight so the only ones calling you out are by default white and straight? :lol:

Either that or you and I clearly hang out with different minorities. I do know one guy who doesn't mind being called the n-word, because he's adopted, raised by white middle-class parents in a white middle-class neighborhood and was the only black kid through all his school years making him just as culturally white middle-class as anyone else. He's the kind of black guy people refer to when they say "Hey, one of my best friends is black, so clearly I'm not racist!". The people I know who actually identify with a minority group (he doesn't), will be A LOT more offended than any white person, believe me.

As for gay people, yeah they can be hard to offend, cause they've heard all you can throw at them a million times already. But what about all the people who haven't taken the step to being openly gay? The kind that go around being suicidal because they think society thinks they're freaks against nature? Yeah they're probably offended.

My view on being PC is that it takes much less effort for me to be PC than it does for someone else to not be offended when I insult their entire existence from a place higher up in the societal food chain.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
This article is awesome... had a good laugh, and realized how depressing the actual "cutest girls in metal" articles are.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
"Male drummers are rare in metal"

"Speaking of nu-metal, everyone&#8217;s favorite Babymetal-inspired gimmick band, Slipknot (whose devilish stage show features seven guys wearing masks)"

:scratch: Huh???

Rev.

tedtan

Reaction score
One might think that country would be just as bad as metal in that regard, since there's plenty of tough-guy posturing, and the cowboy is a fundamentally male image, and in many ways a form of male power fantasy. However, it doesn't seem to suffer nearly as much as metal, and I can think of two possible explanations: on the one hand, there's a long and powerful tradition in country of tough, independent women that stood toe-to-toe with the men; on the other hand, it's much more acceptable for men to express genuine sentiment towards women, rather than just conquering them sexually.

You left off the fact that since the 1980s (roughly the Garth Brooks era onward), country music has been targeted towards women as the primary purchasers. The whole "new country" thing was a strategic shift to get women who grew up listening to rock but wanted something more mature now that they're adults into country music. And it worked, hence the "pop music with distorted guitars and a fake southern accents" music that passes for country music these days.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I'm bisexual, Hispanic and female. I typically don't like people using "gay" as an insult, "spic" or "beaner" in any context, and I certainly don't feel entirely comfortable in a lot of situations due to sexual harassment that a lot of people don't think is sexual harassment. The real articles like this do in fact offend me, as they try to "shine lights on hard working female artists" but somehow boil it down to further sexualization and the like.

stevexc

Reaction score
"Male drummers are rare in metal"

"Speaking of nu-metal, everyone’s favorite Babymetal-inspired gimmick band, Slipknot (whose devilish stage show features seven guys wearing masks)"

:scratch: Huh???

Rev.

whoosh

;D

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
The real articles like this do in fact offend me, as they try to "shine lights on hard working female artists" but somehow boil it down to further sexualization and the like.

Those articles are usually a line or two confirming that said artist is in fact female and does indeed play an instrument and a the remainder boils down to:
Metal Magazine said:
"...and just imagine what she's like in bed; sure she and her band released an album last week and we're a music magazine so we could probably cover that but more importantly SEX, THINK ABOUT THE SEX YOU COULD BE HAVING WITH HER, ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT IT!? ENOUGH WORDS, PICTURES! LOOK AT HER, WE THREW OUT THE PICTURES WITH TOO MUCH COVERED SKIN TO BETTER REVEAL HER TALENT! We're so progressive for acknowledging a woman who plays metal!"

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
No Manowar pictures.

FAIL.

More seriously, I never got the metal mysoginy thing. Audiences are pretty mixed, the guys want to get girls... like everyplace else, and the girls want to get guys too.

Then I'm sure some people would take Steel Panther lyrics at 1st degree. :D
Metalheads are fine with a band parodying just that and like it, that's more open minded than a lot of other groups of interest.

And don't believe for a moment only women are subject to the appearance dogmas from marketing. You'll never make it if you're obese, over 30 or suffer from physical difformities.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Manowar pictures.

FAIL.

More seriously, I never got the metal mysoginy thing. Audiences are pretty mixed, the guys want to get girls... like everyplace else, and the girls want to get guys too.

Metalheads are fine with a band parodying just that and like it, that's more open minded than a lot of other groups of interest.

And don't believe for a moment only women are subject to the appearance dogmas from marketing. You'll never make it if you're obese, over 30 or suffer from physical difformities.

Song of the year 2015:
sam-smith-2-grammys-2015-billboard-650.jpg

Album of the year 2015:
beck-moet-grammy-volgens-kanye-west-beyonce-geven.jpg

Best metal performance 2015:
td-624-1358363263.jpg

:scratch:

Grammys aside, the idea that men and women get into playing music to attract the opposite sex? No. Just no. For women probably less so than men, as showing your tits has been proven far easier and more effective for that than learning to play a musical instrument and working all your life to have a career in one of the most difficult businesses in the world, i.e. music. So no.

Are metal heads open minded? Sure! Are there millions of metal heads in the world? Also yes. Are some of them not very open minded? Yeah, a couple of those millions aren't very open minded. So can you generalize at all about the open mindedness of metal heads? No.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
No Manowar pictures.

FAIL.

I'll make sure to tell the next guy who cops a feel at a show just how much I appreciate his open-mindedness. Or that because some chick somewhere is lusting after some guy that gives everyone the right to simmer our collective worth down to how pretty we are.

Go ahead and look at a lot of big names. A great many of the males aren't physically attractive because it's not a prerequisite. (Though it helps I'm sure.) It's not exclusive to metal but with the amount of "jokes" people make for me to put down the guitar and get in the kitchen, it's a big offender and thus a realistic place to start.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
I'd honestly say it's music in general that's f*cked up in that way. Still doesn't make it acceptable, of course, but it needs to be addressed at a wider level the way we've seen people address sexism/homophobia/transphobia in movies and comics.
People need to start liking Abnormality because they're a well produced slam band, not because the vocalist's got tits.
I fear that's the reason that Arch Enemy made their current vocalist choice, they wanted to continue with the "novelty" :barf: of having a female lead instead of finding a vocalist that was a good match for the band.
It's especially difficult for female artists because they're taught again and again that any female idol they have is only good for their body and not the fact that they're in one of the most competitive fields ever.
-A 5'6" pan/genderqueer person who's tired of music sexism.

Latest posts

')