Cynic's "How Could I" is the greatest guitar solo ever written.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
You have no idea how awesome it is to find people that
A: know who cynic are
B: give them the respect they deserve
I used to post on HC, and if it wasn't about Joe Bonamassa or EVH, it was deemed tasteless.

The Hoff

ERG Newbie
Reaction score
Where's the love for Malone?!

The man is a sick bassist.

The solos are great though, Focus is definitely one of my favourite CDs.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for posting this guys. I've been watching their Norway live vids on youtube and those guys are amazing. I'm gonna have to get their cds.

Their CD. Yes only one. They made one masterpiece and then broke up. However they are recording a new album. :hbang:

zilong

Reaction score
holy shit! i never knew about evolutionary sleeper! that song's pretty badass.

i think my fave solo from the cynic guys are actually portal songs. the cosmos and circle's gone solos are so tasteful.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I used to post on HC, and if it wasn't about Joe Bonamassa or EVH, it was deemed tasteless.

how about option C
C: one of the guitarists from Cynic is a member here :D

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I get that they can play well, and it's cool and everything, but the song just doesn't grab me, and none of their songs ever have. Though, in all fairness, part of the issue for me is I can't get past the vocals and the bad mix. Maybe I just need to give it a proper chance sometime when I'm in the right frame of mind.

That being said, that is a pretty badass solo.

Now, Portal, that seems to be doing something for me. First time hearing them, and I'm liking it.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Cynic's music is okay, but I absolutely hate the vocals. No denying the talent on the instruments though.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
"How Could I" is my favorite Cynic song and the solos in it are good (more Jason's solos than Paul's), but it's very very far from the greatest solo(s) ever written.

Cynic's music is okay, but I absolutely hate the vocals. No denying the talent on the instruments though.

I really like Cynic, but I don't like Paul's vocoder vocals too much. If he had done them as just normal clean vocals, I would prefer them. I love Tony's death metal vocals, but I'm not really a fan of the vocoder stuff.

E Lucevan Le Stelle

in love with Judas
Reaction score

Hmmmm... maybe you shouldn't be posting on HC?

I know I abandoned it as a cesspool of retardation long ago...

HC: EPIC FAIL.

Cynic however... incredible band, one of the best gigs of my life was when I saw them last summer on the reunion tour in London... (played Evolutionary Sleeper, whole of Focus, Cosmos and an amazing cover of Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Meeting of the Spirits") And Sean Malone is a great bassist, especially on "Textures".

Joel

Reaction score
good post for outlining how good cynic really are...but, imho the solo from veil of maya is better... but hey, its still cynic! paul masvidal is unreal...

')