D Activator 8 problem

djentychvggs

9-string Defiler
Reaction score
Okay so I have an issue I could use some help with. Whenever I play my 8 (loaded with a D Activator in the bridge and a PAF 8 in the neck) i get a violent high frequency feedback and there is nothing that can seem to quell it. It even fights through my noise gate. Is it a grounding issue? Are my pickups microphonic? Any help is appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
What rig are you playing the 8-string through? Also, does this problem occur with both pickups or when only one of them is selected?

vick1000

Reaction score
Complete signal chain and pics of the internals of your guitar would help.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Did it start when you installed the d activator? Does it go away when you rest your hand across the strings? Is it less prevalent if you turn 90 degrees?

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Talking about palm muting stops? My other guitarist fights this, even with 3 gates. Its his RD45 head. I've been using 3 different heads with just 1 ns2 and my 1101, not even a gate in the loop and have never dealt with it. I've found ya gotta use just a little less gain than you like, and play harder. Its normally a symptom of too hot a signal going into the front of the amp or return of the loop.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
I had that same problem with Dactivator 8 but only when I put it in a plastic housing. The squeal was so uncontrollable I had to lower the gain half way.
After that I had it wax potted. The problem disappeared 90%. It still squeals at high volumes but can be controlled and totally removed with higher gate setting

lewis

Reaction score
there are so many potential variables and reasons for this. Which is annoying.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. Bought an Ionizer, still had a similar problem, but it might've been because I was playing with these guys in a really small room with a drummer who insisted on playing his triggers through his massive PA, causing us to have to turn the volume up SUPER high. And we all know that feedback happens when you crank your amp up and have no choice but to stand right in front of it. The D-Activator was still terribly microphonic however.

TheBotquax

Reaction score
I have D-Activator playing through an EVH 5150 and I literally cannot put the gain on the amp past one without uncontrollable squealing (assuming the master volume is loud enough the compete with a drummer). It sucks that my guitar is pretty much useless in any live setting.

Action

Reaction score
Can we get a follow-up OP? You didn't answer anyones Q's or report back with a fix. I'm curious because I was about to buy some D-activator 8's to replace my EMGs, and i'd be putting them in plastic housing covers. This thread is making me think that would be a horrible decision.

')