D activator (neck) vs Illuminator/Liquifire (neck)

JimA86

Reaction score
Hi i have an Ibanez sa2020fm (mahogany with maple top) and i want to get rid of the emg 81/85 that are currently on it. I am thinking of going d-activator for both bridge and neck but i am not so sure about the neck. I mostly play modern metal stuff but i enjoy playing classics like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio etc. Any suggestions/tips would be really helpfull.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
I personally do not have any experience with these pickups, but based on your guitar if you want something that isnt overly bright I would go with illuminator. If you dont mind something being brighter then you can really choose between the two. Personally I wouldn't look at YT vids since those almost never 100% accurately represent what the pickup will sound like for you. It gets the idea, but not entirely.

Both would work I would think since they both are very similar at least what Dimarzios website lists them as.

Edika

Reaction score
I had the 6 string D-Activator set in one guitar and the 7 string Liquifire on another instrument. I'm not sure how close the 7 string Liquifire Vs the 6 string Liquifire but I preferred the 6 string D-Activator as it was less harsh to my ears but quite modern sounding and hot.