D(issappointing)NGD

• Thread starter Stuck_in_a_dream
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Knyas

Reaction score
how come beveled edges is option 50 and you see them all the time as returned items? Something doesn't add up :D

You got something wrong because you weren't properly informed, you don't need to find way's to justify it, it was an honest mistake.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
The DC700 has never had rounded edges, that is an option for the 727/747. You can't get BBE on your guitar because they will not do BBE unless you have a top wood. With the BBE option the edges are a bit straighter but it's not a huge change.

The fretboard is a little weak for birdseye (not burl) but it's still nice. I think the guitar looks friggin great.

Edit - Looking at your guitar it actually looks like it might have the BBE edges, but not the binding. The edges do look sharper than a standard DC700 usually. I have one coming mid next week without the BBE, so I can compare better then. Look at the last two guitars at this link. The horns on yours definately look like the green one.

CARVIN.COM : CUSTOM SHOP DC700 PHOTO GALLERY

Maybe someone hit the wrong program on the machine.

Exactly, mine does not look like this one from the Carvin DC700 page
dc700-closeup-large-4.jpg

Mine looks exactly like this one, from the DC700 gallery
dc700m-ww.jpg

Here is mine:
e8f7d3657ecc952a74bc016adef138f2b071a847517fac7078b771d3c37cd4656g.jpg

So something is going on. Apparently both options are there, but which is the default, it beats me now I am confused. I'll call them up tomorrow in the morning and talk to someone to settle this point.

potatohead

Reaction score
Exactly, mine does not look like this one from the Carvin DC700 page
dc700-closeup-large-4.jpg

Mine looks exactly like this one, from the DC700 gallery
dc700m-ww.jpg

Here is mine:
e8f7d3657ecc952a74bc016adef138f2b071a847517fac7078b771d3c37cd4656g.jpg

So something is going on. Apparently both options are there, but which is the default, it beats me now I am confused. I'll call them up tomorrow in the morning and talk to someone to settle this point.

I suppose it's possible they keep the hard edges on the solid colors? I'll do some digging on some NGD's and see what I can pull up. The one I have coming is a quilt top so I'm curious now.

potatohead

Reaction score
Honestly dude, I think they just flat out switched it at some point.

I have looked at about 10 NGD threads and the ones from about May and earlier have the typical DC bevel. The newer one all have the hard edge, regardless of BBE option, top wood/no top wood, and finish.

Spamspam

Pastafarian
Reaction score
When the DC700 was introduced, they did have rounded edges. They changed it, somewhere around a few months ago, to default to BBE edges. Maybe to set it farther apart from the 727 series? Dunno. I ordered mine with BBE, they refunded my 60$, with a note that BBE was standard. Which works out well for me 8). When working out my next build, I really want the passives, with coil splitters, so am going to try and OP50 the 727 control layout on a 700, simply because I like the BBE edges much more than rounded.
Now that I see your pics, I LOVE that guitar. Birds eye maple is very random, it looks great, but I can see your confusion, if you were expecting burl, which they don't offer on a fingerboard.
Give it a couple days, if you want a more splotchy fretboard, return it, and ask for a rebuild. I don't think I'd be able to send that one back, though.

metallic1

Reaction score
your guitar looks more agressive with the non rounded edges, and that fretboard looks awesome. you got a sweet guitar dude, id keeper!

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I'm a little confused because on the website I can only see semi-rounded edges on the DC700 page and none with squared edges... :shrug:

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I'm a little confused because on the website I can only see semi-rounded edges on the DC700 page and none with squared edges... :shrug:

No need to be confused. This is classic carvin. They make changes and forget to update their website. Best case scenario for ANYONE wanting a new carvin. Follow these steps.

1. CALL carvin

2. Ask many question and make sure every singe detail that is a deal breaker for you is gone over thoroughly.

3. After you have decided on everything make sure that the salesman reads back your order like at mcdonalds so that you know what your getting.

4. Have the salesman send you an invoice to your email with all your options so that you can review it and make corrections if need be.

5. After you recieve that invoice go over it thoroughly. If something doesnt look right, call.

Remember guys carvin have humans working for them. And as such they will make mistakes. But IMHO placing a online order is ONLY for those who arent picky about the small details. If your a particular person like me then you need to call it in and explain in detail what you expect from the figuring in the wood and other details. Failing to do this makes the buyer just as much to blame as Carvin. If you dont say "I want an exceptionally figured fingerboard" then dont raise and eyebrow when you dont get it.

potatohead

Reaction score
I've always ordered online and put anything special I wanted in the comments section. I've never had an issue.

I bet the sales guys don't even really know about this change. About a week after I ordered my guitar (currently with UPS) I emailed Bart about changing to BBE with binding, and asked if the guitar had been CNC'd because I knew the edge was different. He never mentioned in fact, the edge ISN'T any different.

Personally I think it's great because I like the harder edge more.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
When the DC700 was introduced, they did have rounded edges. They changed it, somewhere around a few months ago, to default to BBE edges. Maybe to set it farther apart from the 727 series? Dunno. I ordered mine with BBE, they refunded my 60$, with a note that BBE was standard. Which works out well for me 8). When working out my next build, I really want the passives, with coil splitters, so am going to try and OP50 the 727 control layout on a 700, simply because I like the BBE edges much more than rounded.
Now that I see your pics, I LOVE that guitar. Birds eye maple is very random, it looks great, but I can see your confusion, if you were expecting burl, which they don't offer on a fingerboard.
Give it a couple days, if you want a more splotchy fretboard, return it, and ask for a rebuild. I don't think I'd be able to send that one back, though.

I will not return this guitars for just looks, and in fact it already started growing on me. Regarding the beveled edge, well, they should make it clear on their web page. Anyhow, that will probably matter on my next build, hopefully next summer.

No need to be confused. This is classic carvin. They make changes and forget to update their website. Best case scenario for ANYONE wanting a new carvin. Follow these steps.

1. CALL carvin

2. Ask many question and make sure every singe detail that is a deal breaker for you is gone over thoroughly.

3. After you have decided on everything make sure that the salesman reads back your order like at mcdonalds so that you know what your getting.

4. Have the salesman send you an invoice to your email with all your options so that you can review it and make corrections if need be.

5. After you recieve that invoice go over it thoroughly. If something doesnt look right, call.

Remember guys carvin have humans working for them. And as such they will make mistakes. But IMHO placing a online order is ONLY for those who arent picky about the small details. If your a particular person like me then you need to call it in and explain in detail what you expect from the figuring in the wood and other details. Failing to do this makes the buyer just as much to blame as Carvin. If you dont say "I want an exceptionally figured fingerboard" then dont raise and eyebrow when you dont get it.

I totally agree with you that what you have there is the best case scenario. But still, not updating their web page with the latest changes is not particularly good for business at this day and age. I think I learned my lesson and since I'm too particular as well, I will never order online again from them, only by phone.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
No need to be confused. This is classic carvin. They make changes and forget to update their website.
They really need to get on that, because someone might like what he sees there, and even if that someone did call, he might try to be 100% certain by stating clearly "And you'll give me the standard body edges, right?", to which the answer will be "Yes", and he'll not get what he wants anyways if he thinks the standard is different than what the pictures show. So you gotta go through the list like you were talking to a kid. So in your preferred specs you'll have to specifically point out everything, even the stuff you assume is standard.

ihunda

Reaction score
I totally agree with you that what you have there is the best case scenario. But still, not updating their web page with the latest changes is not particularly good for business at this day and age. I think I learned my lesson and since I'm too particular as well, I will never order online again from them, only by phone.

Carvin website is a bit outdated, the ordering popup window could use some polishing and nice instant preview pictures just like what Warmoth has for some of their line.

Also the option 50 thing is very strange to grasp as some very minor things can become option 50 and who wants to lose his money back guarantee for a slightly different color?

ihunda

Reaction score
Also I frequently don't see the prices in the custom builder. Randomly later on, the prices come back, did anybody experience that as well?

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I will not return this guitars for just looks, and in fact it already started growing on me. Regarding the beveled edge, well, they should make it clear on their web page. Anyhow, that will probably matter on my next build, hopefully next summer.

Oh make no mistake. Carvin fucked up here and they make update mistakes all the time. It sucks for those that dont have a ton of experience with them but for long time carvin users this really isnt any news to us. It doesnt excuse carvin though for doing this.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
- The burl figuring on the fretboard is lame, nothing like what I saw on other Carvin builds or even some high-end Fenders, MMs. So, I'm not sure what went wrong there.
Just one thing to consider - how much will you pay for a high end Fender?

FWIW the board is actually really nice. Unless you've ordered (and paid the upcharge) for 5A then you can't pick them up on that one.

Can't comment on the other issues, but the board isn't one.

:2c:

potatohead

Reaction score
Oh make no mistake. Carvin fucked up here and they make update mistakes all the time. It sucks for those that dont have a ton of experience with them but for long time carvin users this really isnt any news to us. It doesnt excuse carvin though for doing this.

Someone posted on the Carvin boards that the catalogue has been updated, but obviously the site hasn't. Really weird.

I'll bet money they changed the edges around the same time the DC600 came out to keep continuity between the 600/700/800.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Looks really nice to me, I'd give it a coupla days and see if you bond with it, if not, rebuild, good luck, it's important to have what you want, perhaps you'll decide what you want is in front of you, perhaps not, but life is short, so make sure you have no regrets, whatever decision you make.

Latest posts

')