D-sonic/Paf pro or TB-6/SH-1

• Thread starter habba1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleepy502

Reaction score
In other words, the JB in the bridge will suit the mahogany more than the d'activator?

Ok note taken.

If you want no frills high gain then yes go for a d'activator.

If you want a pickup that you can tailor to various sounds and tones get a JB.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

habba1

Reaction score
Ok. So all in all JB/59 will be a good combination for the s470?

By the way could you guys recomend me a good amp for home use, currently Im using a Roland cube 15x.

Also, can you guys recomend me a simple multieffects pedal for me? I have heard good news about the Boss ME-25 and GT-8. Keep in mind that I have a Metalzone pedal. Im looking for a pedal that can allow me to play around with delay, chorus and also offer me with a simple overdrive and distortion effect.

Please advise.

sleepy502

Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? Once you spend money on a good amplifier, it will last you a lifetime provided you take care of it.

if you are looking for a multieffects system, invest in the POD series by Line 6.

edit: and yes, the JB/59 should suit you well. Focus on your amplifier setup in the near future, your pedal is saturated and doesn't bring out the characteristics of your guitar. A proper amplifier will.

habba1

Reaction score
Ok. Do you mean the PODHD series?

Budget about USD$400 for the amp and about the same for the multieffects pedal.

Please advise

sleepy502

Reaction score
Yes, the PODHD series stuff is great for the price.

but in all honesty, you should save up a bit more. if you really enjoy what you are doing, there is nothing better than cranking a tube amp up and rocking out. you can get 6505+'s and a decent cab for dirt cheap and they will serve you WELL.

habba1

Reaction score
How much is a 6505? Is a head necessary?

So is there a particular PODHD model you would recomend? Whats the price range in USD?

sleepy502

Reaction score
Uhhh I've seen 6505+'s go for like $800 used and marshall 1960a cabs for $300-$400. You can either get a combo amp which is a head and speaker combined, or a separate head and cab, so if you were going the latter route yes you would need a head. There aren't too many combo amps I'm fond of, as the stock speaker is generally awful.

I think the POD HD500 is $500-700? I don't know haha. I have a Framus Cobra and matching cab, and the only modeling amp I want is an AxeFX.

sleepy502

Reaction score
In all honestly if you are just going to use your HM or metalzone pedal or whatever, don't bother with a pickup upgrade. You won't notice a difference in sound.

Save up your money and invest in some real gear. There is nothing like hearing your money spent well.

habba1

Reaction score
Ok. I actually have 2 choices of new guitars: 1. ESP horizon FR-II w/seymour duncans 2. Ibanez s470 Of course if I get the Ibanez, I can get the guitar + pedal + amp faster. So thats a huge plus point for me. On top of that, like you said, I can do the pickup exchange later. Please advise. Thanks:)

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
In all honestly if you are just going to use your HM or metalzone pedal or whatever, don't bother with a pickup upgrade. You won't notice a difference in sound.

Save up your money and invest in some real gear. There is nothing like hearing your money spent well.

:noway: Blasphemy.
Pickups make a huge difference in tone. HUGE. Not quite as big as the amp, but they're definitely one of the most important factors in the tonal equation. Hell, I just changed the pickups in my Washburn and it changed the tone completely. It sounds 200% better than it did before in my opinion. Much greater versatility with better dynamics.

However, pickups affect more than just tone - things like sustain, harmonics, sensitivity, clarity, and so on.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
^ Getting a better amp will still make a bigger difference than changing pickups.

Honestly, if the OP's only using a Roland Cube with a Metal Zone, I'd agree to saving up for a more substantial amp and/or additional gear before a pickup swap. In this case, go for a multi effect unit first.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
^ Getting a better amp will still make a bigger difference than changing pickups.

Honestly, if the OP's only using a Roland Cube with a Metal Zone, I'd agree to saving up for a more substantial amp and/or additional gear before a pickup swap. In this case, go for a multi effect unit first.

True, true. A better amp is the priority.
I was just stating that pickups DO have a significant effect on tone. It sounded to me like sleepy was saying pickups don't matter.

habba1

Reaction score
Ok. So what any other recomendations for a mltieffect pedal besides the POD HD series? (I am actually looking at the POD HD300 which retails here for about USD $380)

I am basically looking for a multieffect pedal that can give me a simple overdrive/distortion, some delay and chorus to play with. Im new to this so I don't really know what to look out for in a multieffects pedal as well.

Please advise.

sleepy502

Reaction score
:noway: Blasphemy.
Pickups make a huge difference in tone. HUGE. Not quite as big as the amp, but they're definitely one of the most important factors in the tonal equation. Hell, I just changed the pickups in my Washburn and it changed the tone completely. It sounds 200% better than it did before in my opinion. Much greater versatility with better dynamics.

However, pickups affect more than just tone - things like sustain, harmonics, sensitivity, clarity, and so on.

Yes. They do make a huge difference in tone, but not through a metalzone or whatever he is using. A $3000 high gain amplifier sure, not a distortion pedal.

habba1

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the advices.

So I will be getting the POD HD500 first. The pickup changing will have to wait.

By the way, should i connect my metalzone to the POD if i want a high gain distortion for certain songs?

Please advise.

sleepy502

Reaction score
no, you should be able to emulate a wide variety of amplifiers, therefore not needing your metalzone. if you like what you hear on the POD, sell your metalzone :D

habba1

Reaction score
Ohh ok can :)

But if lets say I want to connect my metalzone to the POD, will the sound of the metalzone be affected? Cause I have seen some people complaining about the change in sound produced by a metalzone when its connected with a multi-effect pedal (EG. ME-25, GT-8). Will this happen?

sleepy502

Reaction score
Ohh ok can :)

But if lets say I want to connect my metalzone to the POD, will the sound of the metalzone be affected? Cause I have seen some people complaining about the change in sound produced by a metalzone when its connected with a multi-effect pedal (EG. ME-25, GT-8). Will this happen?

Lord knows why you would want to, but you can probably use a clean setting on the POD and run the metalzone in your chain.

The wide variety of amplifiers you can choose from on the POD should be good enough for you. People buy the POD HD because its the closest thing to spending $2000 on an AxeFX. You shouldn't need a heavily saturated distortion pedal with the POD.

Latest posts

')