D Sonic vs Crunchlab for maple-topped mahogany

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
Hello after a long absence
Hey, so I know this has been covered, but i've read the threads and most of them deal with basswood. Please help me sort out the subjective differences between these two pickups.

This is a bolt-on mahogany guitar with a flamed maple top (not too thick)
It's an Ibanez J custom (8427). The neck PU has been decided as a liquifire.

Do I have this right: crunch lab is a little warmer and a little hotter?
D sonic has a little less low end, more aggressiveness and more high end stuff- hence the crunch lab has been a hit with the basswood folks as a 'perfected' version of the D sonic. What I'm thinking is I want less lows and more mids/highs in a mahogany guitar (bar will face bridge for D sonic)

Basically, JPs tone sounds great on the new DT album, but I want something a little less 'perfect' and a little more nasty for heavy (but not quite djenty) prog with a lot of extended chords, lots of open strings in there

I don't really care about cleans since I will be running the JP switching setup and this guitar has piezos (modded it)

I can always return the pickup or exchange through Dimarzio and pay the difference.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd go with a D-Activator for what you described.

I've got both the DA and Crunch Lab and have used them in the same guitar. The CL is a lot more low-focused with rolled off highs and has a sort of "bloated" midrange as opposed to a balanced, defined and clearer sound from the DA.

')