D'Addario Balanced Tension

• Thread starter NegaTiveXero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, but it looks like they're jumping on the balanced tension bandwagon. Not sure about the gauges they chose, though.

I'll get the link.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
The gauges are very sensible :) Good on them!

Sure beats this atrocity
D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL140-8 Nickel Wound, 8-String, Light Top/Heavy Bottom, 10-74
28lbs+15lbs :lol:

It will be interesting to see if any of these come about for 7 and 8 string. Given that most 6 string sets aren't too bad, I can only imagine that when they started adding the 7th (and later the 8th) they must have decided to accommodate for hardware (drilling) issues, save costs on materials, and try not to intimidate people with huge gauges haha. Because the only 7 and 8 string sets I've seen that make any sense are various LaBella sets and Circle Ks

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so used to having to increase the gauges on lower strings to get balanced tension, it just looked weird that they decreased some. Looking at the charts, though, I'm gonna have to try the 9-40.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I mean. Usually you'll see the 26 and 36 stay the same and then the the 46 is bumped up to 49. If the graphs are correct then they should be fine.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
DR still has one of the silliest string set I ever tried so far:

DR Tite-Fit Mega Heavy: 13-17-26-36-46-56
DR 7 Strings Medium: 10-13-17-26-36-46-56

The top strings are fine, but the two last strings... in standard D tuning, I love a 56, but the A string has stupid crazy amount of tension compared to the low D string, even the F at 36 feel tight as hell

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Like EtherialK said that 8 string set is a joke and should be next on the list! My lowest 3 strings are 46 61 90; 56 64 74? What were they smoking!? That's stupid tight, too tight, loose as [insert loose thing, I can only think of disgusting things]! Honestly...

Bout time they cottoned on though, it's not like its been 60 years since electric guitars hit the mass market or anything.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Thank fuck for these sets tbh, I've been custom making my own sets like this for years and it's been costing me tons extra.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
Picked up a few sets with a low .064 for Drop A on my 7. These feel a lot better than their regular sets. Hopefully they'll release more sets of these in different gauges soon. I would defiantly recommend these to anybody.

Now if I can only get that low string to stop sounding like crap. :lol:

Kemono

Reaction score
The A and D are usually the tightest of the set :)

D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL110 Nickel Wound, Regular Light, 10-46

If you see the gauges there, you can see that now it would be more like 16.5-17.5 on every string which is cool :)
Personally I like the wounds a little tighter, so would've chosen to bump up the low E instead- but hey :D

10-47, with low E at 47 would have been more consistent with slight increase in tension towards the lower strings. That also would have had the effect of keeping the total tension for the set consistent with the non-balanced tension 10-46's.

')