D'addario VS Ernie Ball - Low F Comparison (Ibanez M80M)

FourFour

4/4
Reaction score
Did a little A/B comparison with the two strings. Played on an Ibanez M80M which I got recently.

-The D'addario .65 is surprisingly usable, not too loose at all. But it does have that D'addario metallic sound.

-The Ernie Ball .70 sounds pretty good, mids are more neutral. String tension is pretty much perfect for Low F tuning. Might wanna go to .74 for the low D though.

Curious to see what you guys prefer. Not a very scientific comparison but hope this helps.
(Same settings/setup for every clip)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I feel like both are very usable, but A has a cool "sheen" to the high end.

And I use a 70 for my A#, and a 105 for my low F :lol: I dont know how you guys get away with such small strings. They always go out of tune on me

FourFour

4/4
Reaction score
Thanks for checking them out, Descent.

I feel like both are very usable, but A has a cool "sheen" to the high end.

And I use a 70 for my A#, and a 105 for my low F :lol: I dont know how you guys get away with such small strings. They always go out of tune on me

I suspect you aren't using a baritone? The guitar I played this on has a 29.4" scale.
105 for a low F tho... that's a bass guitar my friend hahaha.

Anyway, sorry for the late reply. Didn't realise anybody responded.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
My 8 is a 28 inch scale. I think I just naturally push/dig too hard. Probably all the deadlifting.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see this done with identical gauges - 65 vs 70 isn't a massive gap on paper, but that's a prtty big change in string tension.