Daemoness Viking Twins

• Thread starter element256
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

element256

Reaction score
"Heathens do not beg their gods for help. We honor them with our actions."

At first it doesn't look like much - maybe an ebony top or really strong black stain. But this is the most insane timber I've ever used. Preserved Irish bog oak - several thousand years old. The guitars are twins - six and seven string, and they are Viking Cimmerians. I wanted to use a Nordic timber - what better than Oak? But with Irish bog oak, this timber was actually in the ground when the Vikings were raiding Ireland, and when they were pushed back at the battle of Clontarf. Ultimately I would have wanted to use Scandinavian Oak - but the Vikings chopped it all down to make ships - ship timber was actually on the list of things to be acquired from trading or raids towards the end of the Viking period. I have seen the Viking ship in Gothenburg museum and this timber looks very similar.

I normally wet the timbers before I photograph them to make the grain pop - but these are dry. This timber is very sensitive to moisture. The drying process is complicated and a massive proportion of it is lost through splitting and shrinkage when planks are prepared. These pieces were cut, kiln dried, selected and examined by Dave Dyke - all the time checking to see how the timber was responding to loosing its moisture content. If you compare this to how we've been treating the Mary Rose in Portsmouth for 30 years, there are similarities. Do it wrong and you loose everything. But this timber is much better preserved in the oxygen poor peat bog than the Mary Rose was at the bottom of the solent. This bog oak is very hard. Very tough. But if you put water on it, it seems very thirsty, and fibres lift - like its trying to return to its original volume and torturing itself. Better to carve the guitar and seal it in a timber formulated polyester basecoat.

To me the timber looks like a dark sky reflected onto a black rolling sea, extending to the horizon which is black and infinite. This is why I like it so much - the Vikings had the courage to sail into the unknown.

These are inlays into Macassar ebony and are not paintings onto a fingerboard. I am a painter so I think like a painter and I've spent the last ten years working out how to paint with wood instead of paint. I went through many fingerboards at the wood yard to find the ones I needed. The actual ships are normal jet black ebony.

The sails and shields are bloodwood and the metal is iron and brass. I prepared both ships as sketches which where then scanned into the computer. The laser cavitated the fingerboard accurately and cut the interior dark ebony pieces, but about 70% of the detail was actually cut by hand using the pin out of an old spray gun that I filed with a diamond block down to about 0.05 millimetres, and craft knife blades.

The untextured brown material is a sculptors resin, everything else is natural timber. A few tricks the laser offered was to cut the bloodwood shields, and cavitate the main hull, so I could make the shield rims just using the thickness of the laser beam that had left a void when it did the cutting. The tiniest details such as the chieftain and the berserker with the red eye were cut using the spray pin.

Attachments

• D03.jpg
    D03.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 437
  • D06.jpg
    D06.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 386
  • D08.jpg
    D08.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 408
  • D09.jpg
    D09.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 400

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Some of the coolest Daemoness(Daemonesses/Daemonii)? to have ever been crafted. Are they yours?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Wow, awesome. Will they both be hardtails? In the pictures on FB one doesn't have the routes in for a bridge yet.

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
These look great! I can imagine you'd be extremely happy to have them coming your way. Congrats

Deegatron

Reaction score
That inlay is absolutely spectacular. he even worked it in with the grain of the wood so it looks like they're sailing through the ebony. that is truly exceptionally done... and very classy... A+ start to finish.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Nice one dude!!! You're going to love them. Did you give much input or just let Dylan do his thing?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
these are my favorite daemoness guitars next to the yog sothoth guitar. I love viking/norse mythology motifs. :hbang:

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Congrats to you OP, on amazingly insane guitars and on still being alive. I was genuinely concerned that seeing those inlays would literally blow the buildees mind.

element256

Reaction score
Nice one dude!!! You're going to love them. Did you give much input or just let Dylan do his thing?

It was about a 30 month queue wait and we talked almost weekly about it. In the end he knew my vision completely and through his heritage there was no better man or myth for the job.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Yes both HT.. I'm about done with the ol' Floyd's in my life.. ha

Sweet will they be the same type of HT? What hardware are you getting?

Also, I have to say... was the art style something you guys discussed or did he just go ham with it? Like someone in another thread said. Huge Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings vibes from it, in the BEST way possible.

element256

Reaction score
We discussed several ideas over the couple years wait.
Originally I wanted the body to be like the oceans a deep blue along with a norse nautical theme then after much talking we decided to go with a black since when you're on the seas at night everything appears black with just the highlights of the moon above.
When he finally found and picked out the 3,000yr old bog oak harvested from the Viking invaded lands along with the multi faceted fretboard it just seemed to come together in perfect balance.

I sent over many different art pieces, styles and textures all which combined in thought for the finished product. I knew from the get go that with Dylan's heritage I wouldn't trust this build to anyone else and he delivered beyond even my expectations.

I was annoyed at the 24 month queue wait time at first, but I have to say, being able to talk in depth for that long, find a real finished direction and then find the perfect pieces to the puzzle were an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Viking twins sounds like a really hot double date for me and a good friend. With any luck, they'll have red hair.

Seriously, though, the wood on those FBs works soooo well. Clearly, you've screwed up by getting a 6 and a 7, rather than a 7 and an 8, but all is forgiven based on the sheer epicness of those inlays and the theme!

element256

Reaction score
I still really enjoy going back to a 6 and my old 6 is starting to take a crap so this was just the perfect timing. They feel like toys when you play them and you can just fly around on it. It's really fun :D

Updated OP with descriptions

Deegatron

Reaction score
Can we get some nice UP CLOSE photo's of both inlays. I read the description and realized how much detail I'm actually missing..

Latest posts

')