Damaged m-307

• Thread starter JJ Rodriguez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
If you tape the binding off, and are careful about it, it *should* be OK. You may want to sand near the binding, though...

I thought about that, but the stuff runs down. I doubt masking it off would protect it that much. Maybe I'll just use stripper on the body, and sand the neck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought about that, but the stuff runs down. I doubt masking it off would protect it that much. Maybe I'll just use stripper on the body, and sand the neck.

That strikes me as a good approach. Hell, when you're done, just oil the neck up and you're set. ;)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
That strikes me as a good approach. Hell, when you're done, just oil the neck up and you're set. ;)

I suppose that's always an option too. I've never sanded down a neck so it's going to be a pain in the ass. Going to have to make some kind of radiused sanding block. Anyone know the radius of the ESP necks? Could always grab some of those stewmac radius blocks I guess.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
I suppose that's always an option too. I've never sanded down a neck so it's going to be a pain in the ass. Going to have to make some kind of radiused sanding block. Anyone know the radius of the ESP necks? Could always grab some of those stewmac radius blocks I guess.
It really isn't that bad sanding down a neck. I'd advice against using a radiused block and just go for free hand and sand paper instead. Why? Well: unless the block radius matches the back of the neck exactly (which it won't, as the back of a guitar neck doesn't have a uniform curvature), you'll be sanding small edges into the neck shape - keep in mind that you are not shaping the neck, but merely taking off a few millimeters of paint. Just take your time and keep an air gun close by to blow the paint residue of the sand paper.

Cheers

Eske

P.s.: I suggest gunstock oil followed by gunstock wax - if it's good enough for MusicMan, it ought to be good eneough for you ;)

P.p.s.: Remember not to oil or wax the neck before repainting the guitar.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
It really isn't that bad sanding down a neck. I'd advice against using a radiused block and just go for free hand and sand paper instead. Why? Well: unless the block radius matches the back of the neck exactly (which it won't, as the back of a guitar neck doesn't have a uniform curvature), you'll be sanding small edges into the neck shape - keep in mind that you are not shaping the neck, but merely taking off a few millimeters of paint. Just take your time and keep an air gun close by to blow the paint residue of the sand paper.

Cheers

Eske

P.s.: I suggest gunstock oil followed by gunstock wax - if it's good enough for MusicMan, it ought to be good eneough for you ;)

P.p.s.: Remember not to oil or wax the neck before repainting the guitar.

I'll probably tung oil it. I don't recall ever really liking any of the Music Man's I've played, but thanks for the info dude.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

Actually, it is way easier than you think. I did it to my Stars Soloist:

Starsneck3.jpg

Just start with 100 grit sandpaper, until you get through the clear and paint. When you start seeing the wood peek through the primer, that is your signal to drop back to 200. You don't want to go through the sealer (then clear coat that makes the wood look shiny). Finish off by lightly sanding with 400, and you're ready to oil it. The pictures you see are the results of 20 coats of tung oil. I would oil, allow it to dry for an hour, and then hit it again. After about five coats, I would let it dry overnight, and then use 00000 steel wool to knock off the excess. After you are done, let it set for 24 hours, and then wax it with several coats carnuba wax. The result is the same as Ibanez, Fender, Jackson, and ESP.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine it's not something I can do inside with animals around as all that lacquer and shit is toxic as hell.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I imagine it's not something I can do inside with animals around as all that lacquer and shit is toxic as hell.

When you are using those things, like nitrocelulosic and spray cans. Use a gas mask, that one for the organic vapors.

I know a guy that he used to paint a lot with spray cans, and the shit that they had, start to affect on some section of his brain. And now he can't controll when he wants to go to the bathroom, when he want to sleeps, and things like that. It's like drugs, but in another way. So be careful, that's my advice.

thedownside

Reaction score
for the re-paint, what are you gonna use to seal the wood before spraying it? I've got a custom RG body on the way that i'm gonna be airbrushing, but it'll be my first time painting wood, so i dunno what to use.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mean spraying it, I mean sanding it, although I imagine once it's dust it'd be about the same. That sucks about that guy, getting fucked up like that for building guitars, while some crack head will probably live to be 80 if he doesn't OD first.

for the re-paint, what are you gonna use to seal the wood before spraying it? I've got a custom RG body on the way that i'm gonna be airbrushing, but it'll be my first time painting wood, so i dunno what to use.

www.lmii.com has sealers and shit like that. I was curious to try the water based lacquer and stuff, since they say it's almost as clear as nitro, and it can be shipped here more importantly. But after reading that other thread on the color changing shit in a spray can, I might try that.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
well JJ, if you dont get it, im next in line =] just spoke to the guy lol

I gotta stop sleeping so late, missing out on awesome sales =/

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck that, it's already mine! :lol: If he won't ship it to me someone on the mmmb is going to pick it up for me.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
blah lol well maybe its for the best, I gotta stop buying guitars.. altho I was looking for a backup 7 and I almost got a m307 for like $500 US lol

if u ever sell it tho, for like 300-400 cdn, gimme first look

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
With the upgrades I'm planning will probably be a bit more if I ever sell it, I'm a pack rat :lol: I want to put an OFR in her and real EMG's of course. I already have 2 707's from my 7420, so maybe I'll throw those in it until I can trade for an 81-7 with someone.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
ah alright =[ if I ever go down to freddy to visit my buddy at UNB.. Im gonna have to check it out once you fix it up lol

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
that was a few years ago, lol...but I do stash random shit under there

')