DAMN!! I Just Can't Catch a Break!! BRAND NEW GCX issue :(

• Thread starter matt edri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

matt edri

The Rectifier
Reaction score
After sorting out the issue with the amp that I thought I can play guitar in peace but noooooooooooooo, something just had to go wrong again.

My sister returned yesterday from her honeymoon in the US and brought with her a brand new Voodoo Lab GCX Audio Switcher.

I got it because I already have the ground control pro and I wanted something to controll my rig with the channel switching on the amp and taking my OD boost and noise reduction pedals in and out of the signal chain.

So I sat for about half an hour on routing the pedals to the GCX and programming my Ground Control and just as I turned on the loop that they are connected to I fell on my knees and strated to scream!!

The unit is adding an AWEFULL BUZZING N NOISE to my sound!!!:scream::realmad:.

Since then I've been trying for hours now to reroute the pedals, using different cables, different loops, I've Taken the pedals out of the rack space because I thought some magnetic field from the the GCX's and G Major's power supply is causing the noise but NOTHING!!

I've also routed the pedals with the same cables back to the front of the amp and I got dead silence!!

Now the real problem here is that we don't have a Voodoo Lab Dealer in Israel, and thus there is no repair service also!!:wallbash:

The DAMN thing cost me 400$ at Guitar Center in Manhattan:realmad:!

Has anyone else experienced this thing with the GCX?

How can I solve this? Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LacesOutTyler

Reaction score
Hey man, I know that feeling of "the world is conspiring against you" and "everything I touch breaks"... I'd say try to get in touch with VooDoo and tell them what's up.

matt edri

The Rectifier
Reaction score
Well after contacting Voodoo Labs tech support I'm still with this problem.

We found out that when the guitar is connected to the GCX, and Loop 1 is not connected with any pedal but like this:

Guitar > GCX Guitar In > GCX Guitar out > GCX Loop 1 IN > GCX Loop 1 Send > GCX Loop 1 Return > GCX Loop 1 OUT > Amp

LIke this there is no noise, but when I insert any pedal into Loop 1's Send and Return jacks I get this awfull noise.

The tech at Voodoo Labs says there is a ground loop somwhere and I have to isolate every piece of gear and start connecting every thing one at a time, and see when the noise occurs.

That's whta I did, and I got this result. The noise only occurs when there is ANY pedal connected to the loop.

I tried connecting 3 pedals: a Boss NS-2, an ISP Decimator and and Ibanez TK overdrive.

All gave me te same result: NOISE.

I've also made a video showing my problem to the tech support in Voodoo Labs and I'm waiting for a reply from them.

Does any of you guys have an idea what am I supposed to do next?

Jejak

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Have you tried powering your stompboxes with batteries instead of that psu?

matt edri

The Rectifier
Reaction score
Is there a way to some how check this over from the other way around, meaning from the electrical grid in the house?

')