"Danceable" Metal

• Thread starter eleven59
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

It's not real versus weak. It is more like real versus lame. What always attracted me to metal was that it is agressive, angry stuff that you bang your head to and run into other people while listening to it. If I wanted to dance, I'd do E and buy glow sticks like everyone else.

I alway thought it was really lame to scream and shout about aggressive angry stuff, like slipknots lyrics. Now don't get me wrong I listen to angry music to, I like the riff and the heaviness in the music but 95% of those bands would be much better without a singer.
And then the whole headbanging, moshpit situation, I though that was really cool when I was a teenager, but as an adult I like to actually pay attention and listen to the music hahahahaha.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I should also mention that I never got the macho, "real" vs. "weak" metal thing. I don't get why metal has to be "tough", etc. I've always seen metal (at least, modern metal) as being a way of breaking the rules, defying expectations, and being loud/big/noisy sounding, bringing in any influences that they wanted to.

It's not a macho "must be manly" weak, it's weakly written metal. It could be said that the Nightwish song you picked was trying to be "tough" far more than Exodus' Toxic Waltz. Metal is not dance club music, period. I would not consider any of the music you posted to be dance music, and I spent the better part of 4 years listening to nothing but techno and trance, while doing the clubs 5 nights a week.

Dance music is dance music. ;)

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not a macho "must be manly" weak, it's weakly written metal. It could be said that the Nightwish song you picked was trying to be "tough" far more than Exodus' Toxic Waltz. Metal is not dance club music, period. I would not consider any of the music you posted to be dance music, and I spent the better part of 4 years listening to nothing but techno and trance, while doing the clubs 5 nights a week.

Dance music is dance music. ;)

I'm not saying it's dance music, I'm saying it's got a solid beat, and there are, in fact, people dancing to it in the videos ;)

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Prong! Their incorporation of techno-style beats makes the songs more interesting. They kick ass.

Their new album fucking rocks!

And a few older ones.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's dance music, I'm saying it's got a solid beat, and there are, in fact, people dancing to it in the videos ;)

I wouldn't dance to that stuff. ;)

Dance clubs would never play that stuff anyway, they're more about popularity and getting as many females through the door as possible. I turned to dance music to get away from metal, and the lame shallowness of the whole thing drove me back to the b00talz. :lol:

I mean, if you wanna dance to this stuff, go right ahead, but I wouldn't expect a metal dance club to spring up. heh

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score

Dance clubs would never play that stuff anyway, they're more about popularity and getting as many females through the door as possible. I turned to dance music to get away from metal, and the lame shallowness of the whole thing drove me back to the b00talz. :lol:

I mean, if you wanna dance to this stuff, go right ahead, but I wouldn't expect a metal dance club to spring up. heh

I'm not saying I want to dance to this stuff, or that people in general would, I'm just saying I love the feel of this music, and it's fun to play because it gives you more options than just headbanging and its many varieties.

And actually, there was a club here that was reasonably successful that mixed in this kind of stuff with industrial. Pictures lots of goth girls dancing like skanks.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I didn't think he was actually serious about dancing to it :lol: I just thought he wanted metal with a nice groove/beat.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not saying I want to dance to this stuff, or that people in general would, I'm just saying I love the feel of this music, and it's fun to play because it gives you more options than just headbanging and its many varieties.

And actually, there was a club here that was reasonably successful that mixed in this kind of stuff with industrial. Pictures lots of goth girls dancing like skanks.

Yeah, I can see the "goth" people we have here hanging out in a dance club that plays Skinny Puppy 24/7. :lol:

Why not just ask for some "groove" metal? Dance bring in some odd things. :lol: Of course, there's a big difference between Nightwish and Soilwork, so I guess I can see what you were getting at.

Now someone somewhere is gonna call their metal band "Dance Metal", a new sub-genre is born!. :lol:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty clear that this thread was a thinly-veiled nu-metal appreciation thread, but even that facade couldn't stop the metal argument from starting up, heh.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I would consider A Life Once Lost "danceable"

And not just fighting invisible ninjas dancing eatier.

D

Desecrated

I was at a rave party once where they played this kind of music, if you put on nightwish with about 20% pitch it sounds almost like happy hardcore :D

')