Danny Carey kicks ass.

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I used to play with a drummer who was Danny Carey's biggest fan. Dude was a damn good drummer. Damn good.

To bad he was frickin' insane, practically. :lol:

Danny Carey is way too good for that band. :2c:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Au contraire, le Wolf of less-than-vibrant exterior, Tool kicks ass.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
They may, but they aren't very technical or... I dunno. They lack something. They are all mediocre, whereas DC is very good.

I'm not a Tool fan. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You're missing out, bro. Download the title track of Lateralus off iTunes or something - if you don't like it, I'll mail you the $.99 you lost on it. :lol:

The thing with Tool is Adam Jones is really more of a second bassist than a guitarist... Taken like that, their music makes a lot more sense. Also, Maynard James Keenan is a phenominal lyricist - the only thing that could make "Eulogy" any better is if it was written after Creed broke out.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I have Lateralus. ;) It's eh. Hey, who are you to tell me! You like Ulrich Schnauss! :lol:

I think the guitar player and the singer are mediocre. Kind of bland. The bass player has good tone... I can't say much beyond that. He's not bad, I guess.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love Tool, but I actually prefer A Perfect Circle even more. Totally different sound I realize, but I think that's Maynards best work in terms of singing (not necessarily lyrics). I also like the less dense, more melodic sound APC puts out. That being said, Undertow and Aenima are both epic albums.

ChaNce

Auto-banned?
Reaction score
I have Lateralus. ;) It's eh. Hey, who are you to tell me! You like Ulrich Schnauss! :lol:

I think the guitar player and the singer are mediocre. Kind of bland. The bass player has good tone... I can't say much beyond that. He's not bad, I guess.

Seriously, I read comments like this and wonder how its possible that we live on the same planet. Maynard bland? Adam bland? Not technical?

Dude, did you listen? I mean really listen? Maynard is one of the most copied yet least imitated singers since Robert Plant. Adam's guitar parts are always perfect, subtly difficult, yet sound easy, and are never overplayed. Justin Chancellor is a MONSTER bass player, and both he and Adam overlap so well that their sound is totally unique.

When I hear comments like this, I find it hard to believe that the commenter made more than a cursory listen, because it's just not honestly possible to listen to Tool and not be blown away by the musicianship, band interplay, and technical ability. And they CRUSH live.

There isn't a serious metal band in the world that doesn't owe something to Tool. Everyone from the least serious musicians (the dursts and the stapps of the world) to the most technically masterful bands (Meshuggah, for example) cite Tool as an influence.

I mean, cmon, opinions are nice, but they aren't all equivalent. More to the point, to the extent that individuals are judged by the quality of their opinions, ones credibility comes into question when that individual's opinions are obtuse.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Tool is the reason i bought my RG7621. therefore, Tool is the greatest band on the planet :D

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, cmon, opinions are nice, but they aren't all equivalent. More to the point, to the extent that individuals are judged by the quality of their opinions, ones credibility comes into question when that individual's opinions are obtuse.
Wow, I just got pwned by a newb. :lol:

Listen, man. I HAVE THEIR FUCKING ALBUMS! :lol: I didn't say I hate them, but they honestly do not impress me very much, outside of Danny Carey's drumming.

A. Maynard's voice is just so-so. It's a bit monotone for my tastes. MY TASTES.

B. The guitar work isn't very impressive to me. I prefer more technical playing, generally speaking, or something that is more emotive. From Jimmy page, to Dimebag, to Segovia, to Wes Montgomery, to Jeff Loomis, to Willie Nelson, to Prince, I find Tool's guitar playing is somewhat monotonous and bland in comparison. I am a fan of so many different types of music, so please, don't insult my tastes or intelligence again. I've studied classical guitar at the university level, I listen to all kinds of jazz, country, metal, rock, funk, blues, and experimental players... the point is, just because I don't worship at the altar of your idols, doesn't mean my opinion is invalid.

because it's just not honestly possible to listen to Tool and not be blown away by the musicianship, band interplay, and technical ability.

See, here's where you made your mistake. I disagree completely. I am thoroughly un-blown. :D Don't paint me into a corner of saying I hate Tool... I don't. But they don't even come close to impressing me on the same level they apparently do you, regardless of who cites them as an influence. Yngwie could cite a purple baboon's ass as an influence, but that isn't going to change my opinion of him for good or ill. (But it might explain his fashion sense. :ugh:) Which is fine with me. It seems you are the only one who has a problem with that fact. You may question my credibility all you like. I seriously doubt it will affect either A) my standing amongst my friends here, or B) my own belief in my personal infalliblity. :lol:

BTW, you don't need to persue this ad nauseum. You have your opinion, I have mine. Respect that.

ChaNce

Auto-banned?
Reaction score
Heh, you said un-blown:)

See, if you would have provided your reasons in the first place... I wouldn't have had to get my panties in a bunch. And I never said you hate Tool.

I think you would agree that the musicians in Tool are talented, just not your cup of tea, correct? That works for me.

I too believe in my own personal infallibility...And you are correct about Yngwies outfits. Yikes.

And..Hey!! Im an ss.org Regular now!! Doesn't that count for something?!?!

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Heh, you said un-blown:)

See, if you would have provided your reasons in the first place... I wouldn't have had to get my panties in a bunch. And I never said you hate Tool.

I think you would agree that the musicians in Tool are talented, just not your cup of tea, correct? That works for me.
I would agree Danny Carrey is talented... :fawk:

I too believe in my own personal infallibility...And you are correct about Yngwies outfits. Yikes.
That's the spirit! We all take after Heavy Metal Jesus. :miniwang:

And..Hey!! Im an ss.org Regular now!! Doesn't that count for something?!?!
Yep. You now get the sublime pleasure of mocking Drew's pink polo fetish. :fawk:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
OMG I disagree with Bob!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Tool is one of my favorite bands ever. Maynard is my favorite lyricist/vocalist and the whole band just kicks ass. Aenima is on my short lsit of best albums ever.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Lamb of God > Tool. In fact, I drop my LoG all over your Tool. :D

Besides, Eric... LoG is MUCH more politically-minded, in the same vien as our thinking. ;) You still need to check out Immortal Technique, and see LoG with me. Come up outta them RATM/Tool 90's, brother. It's liberating!!! :scream:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Tool is not political as mush as their are personal. Their music is more about internal struggle. That's why I like them.

')