Dark jazz

• Thread starter Desecrated
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
D

Desecrated

Hi

I´m always on the look for new music and the turn has come to jazz, And i wonder if there is some dark and evil jazz to be found, I know of

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore
Rumah Sakit

But im wondering if you guys now something more, My dream would be to find some swingjazz that was really dark and evil, like something from a horrorsoundtrack.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
ever hear of derek bailey? He plays some pretty scary/f'd up 'free jazz'. I could totally imagine being murdered to some of his tunes :lol:.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I duno if you would consider this.. but I find stuff like some Planet X and Mahavishnu Orchesta kinda dark and jazzy.. Not really horror but I dunno..

D

Desecrated

Im trying derek now,

I dont know if I would consider planet x and TMO to be jazz, jazz influenced, but not jazz. But thanks for the tips, they are great bands anyway.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
derek throws together some interesting harmonies, you'd think he doesn't know how to play guitar:lol: (seemingly lacking rhythm and diguarding traditional harmony). He uses a lot of dissonance.

D

Desecrated

Dissonance is pretty much the key tho horror. Even bach used it to portray the jews as bad people in his work.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmmm...I've always been kind of ambivalent about Derek Bailey's playing (and other free-improvisers). I can see why it's an artistically valid thing to do, but it gets a little repetitive after a while (which is kinda perverse, given the objective of that sort of music).

Tymon

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm a huge fusion/jazz freak and I love atonal 12 tone music and such, so I can say I'm used to freaky music. But this Derek Bailey I don't really get.

But back to the original question: I've also been on a hunt for your so called "dark jazz" but haven't found much yet.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think the goal is to create totally improvised music, that doesn't bear any resemblance to any pre-existing musical forms. It's a good aim, but I often feel that a lot of this stuff is simply wierd for wierdness' sake. It's cool in small doses, but gets old pretty fast when you hear a succession of recordings that sound virtually identical. I mean, with guys like Buckethead, Vernon Reid, or Shawn Lane, they often get extremely 'outside' in their lines, but there's always a sense of structure, and a point of resolution. That requires a lot of finesse to pull off, whereas with guys like Derek Bailey, it often sounds like they're just flailing around.

And yeah, what's the definition of 'dark jazz'? It sounds right up my alley...

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Man I don't get Bailey either, he sounds like I did 20 years ago, stoned trying to play a Scorpions tune:lol:

Man I don't get Bailey either, he sounds like I did 20 years ago, stoned trying to play a Scorpions tune:lol:

Anyway I think Alex Machacek (which I posted a thread about yet nobody commented:fawk: ) is pretty fucked up

http://www.alexmachacek.com/music.php

Click on the (SIC) Audio sampler for samples off of his solo CD, and you can also download a track which contains a tune (video clip) he did with his band Out Trio.

Oh wait here's a Youtube Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dOkugF_IU

includao

Banned
Reaction score

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Check out John Zorn's ridiculously huge catalog - start with the Naked City discs, Electric Masada, etc... some of his stuff is very dark sounding (Trevor Dunn plays on some of the Electric Masada discs)
Also look at Uri Caine's work. He's particularly hard to pin down stylistically.

D

Desecrated

Now we are moving into noise and that kind stuff, is there really no horror-swing-jazz. There ought to, the idea is awsome, I must learn how to play jazz and get together a band.

Latest posts

')