Dark Matter Instruments - Official Thread

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
I've been working on some headless designs, but they do not fit into the Balaguer line-up since they don't really fit the vibe. I decided to launch a separate company for my less traditional ideas.

http://www.darkmatterinstruments.com - The site will be up soon with all the pricing details, but I wanted to give you all a sneak peek into what I've been working on. I'll offer these as production models (built in South Korea) as well as Semi-Custom & USA Custom Shop models. I'll be sending these out next week for some proper video demos to showcase the tone and go over the specs in fine details.

Excited to finally get these designs out of my head!

This first model is called The Anomaly, AN6, AN7, and AN8 for short.

Some specs:
- The bridges are my own custom design and are machined out of solid bell brass (not ABM)
- Roasted Maple Necks
- Either Roasted Maple or Ebony Fingerboards
- 24 Stainless Steel Frets
- 25.5" scale for 6 string, 25.5" or 27" for 7 string, 28" for 8 string (Multi-scale will also be available)
- One volume, 5-way switch
- Tucked away output jack
- 20" Fingerboard Radius
- Neck shape is a thin tapered D shape with thickness of 0.790" at the 3rd fret and 0.890” at the 12th fret (universal for 6, 7, and 8)

I've put the pickups through multiple phases of R&D and prototyped them before putting them into production. Sourced the magnets from a supplier due to the thickness and size I wanted, and the bobbins are VFB not cheap plastic. All of the pickups are wax potted and built to my exact specifications. I'm very happy with how they turned out:

Bridge Humbucker for AN6 and AN7:
Output: 17.9K
Ceramic Magnet
Wax Potted
4 conductor
Black Bobbins with black screws

Neck Humbucker for AN6 and AN7:

Output: 8.9K
Ceramic Magnet
Wax Potted
4 conductor

Bridge Humbucker for AN8:
Output: 18.27K
Ceramic Magnet
Wax Potted
4 conductor

Neck Humbucker for AN8:

Output: 10.92K
Ceramic Magnet
Wax Potted
4 conductor

AN6
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

AN7
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

AN8
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

jaxadam

Reaction score
They look really awesome, man. There's no chance to get the finish on the AN8 on an AN6?

marcwormjim

Reaction score
I'm happy to see this 21st century-aesthetic becoming more prevalent in the market.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember Joe mentioning these months ago. The most exciting thing is that he’s making 8s. I’d love one of these (or even his more traditional designs) because I know he’s a solid dude. And these new ones look like they arrived on a space ship. Super cool.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
They look really awesome, man. There's no chance to get the finish on the AN8 on an AN6?

Yep, you'll be able to pick your finish/woods etc. through the Semi-Custom or USA Custom series.

Yeah, I remember Joe mentioning these months ago. The most exciting thing is that he’s making 8s. I’d love one of these (or even his more traditional designs) because I know he’s a solid dude. And these new ones look like they arrived on a space ship. Super cool.

Thanks man. I'm open to doing stuff beyond 8's, but I'll need some time to draft those up. Would love to get into 9 and 10's eventually.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
What kind of colors are we looking at being available (on the production models)?

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
What kind of colors are we looking at being available (on the production models)?

I'll probably start a poll and you all can vote on a few. I think a Cosmic Black, like the AN6 pictured in this thread, would be cool. I'm open to ideas though, whether we use tops/trans finishes, solid metallic finishes, solid colors, natural, etc.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I guess you’re pretty much committed to black as a color option, because it appeals to the most people, but I, too, would like to see some cool options. I do like the appearance of wood, and if you were to do a trans stain of something that would be cool. I’m not sure how crazy you can get with the process, so you’ll have to throw us some choices.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
any chance you could do seafoam green or some fluorescent colors? I'd be down for those.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
any chance you could do seafoam green or some fluorescent colors? I'd be down for those.
God dammit, if you're not my doppelganger. Not only do you like 8 strings, but you're down with sfg and fluorescents.

Joe, Knight and I will take an 8 in shocking pink and a birdseye board, please. We'll just wait right here while you finish them....

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
God dammit, if you're not my doppelganger. Not only do you like 8 strings, but you're down with sfg and fluorescents.

Joe, Knight and I will take an 8 in shocking pink and a birdseye board, please. We'll just wait right here while you finish them....
I need an 8 in fluorescent orange :p

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score

Man, a Gloss Metallic Pink would be really cool. There will 100% be trans finishes to choose from, over veneers as well as tops.

I need an 8 in fluorescent orange :p

Well we will have quite a few finishes to choose from for the Semi-Custom builds. Guess you'll have to wait and see!

Latest posts