Dark sounding guitar speaker?

• Thread starter Akos89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Akos89

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It looks like I will buy a used Peavey XXL next week.

Can you suggest me a speaker that it's dark sounding?
Or if not, tell me which I shouldn't check out, because it's bright sounding.

I want a tone something like this:

Akos89

Reaction score
When I think "dark sounding cab" I think Orange.
And it's because of the construction of the cab or they use dark sounding speakers?
I checked a few and they use different speakers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I would assume it's because of the cab construction. The one I tried I think was v30s. IMO if you want "dark" sounding, you want to look more at the cab construction than the speakers anyway.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Swamp and Texas a both pretty dark (smooth top end) and sound pretty similar to me, except the Swamp has additional massive low end.

Akkush

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input!

My friend told me I can borrow his cab.
It's a Laney Klipp 4x12 with Goodmans Audiom 12-P, ...made in 1974 XD
What do you think, does it worth to borrow it?

Moltar

Reaction score
Well Trey from Morbid Angel has always used g12T-75s with a Rat boosted into a Marshall 900(earlier an 800 I beleive). This album though always sounded quite scooped to me, but you're right it's also dark, as all tones on Morbid albums are. But I switched to the 75s last year from V30s and I much prefer them. They're not horribly bright or anything like some people seem to say. They seem a lot easier on the ear to me than V30s for sure. Definitely a bit scooped, good bottom end, fizzy top end but not too much(this is what I like most about them).

Maybe just start with that speaker and a Rat boosted into whatever amp you're using. Volume on full, drive at 10:30, filter at 9 o'clock.

I think that the best thing about the 75s is that with the non muddy low mids, bit scooped, fizzy top end sound, they will take a dark tone very well and still sound clear and concise.

Akos89

Reaction score
Well Trey from Morbid Angel has always used g12T-75s with a Rat boosted into a Marshall 900(earlier an 800 I beleive). This album though always sounded quite scooped to me, but you're right it's also dark, as all tones on Morbid albums are. But I switched to the 75s last year from V30s and I much prefer them. They're not horribly bright or anything like some people seem to say. They seem a lot easier on the ear to me than V30s for sure. Definitely a bit scooped, good bottom end, fizzy top end but not too much(this is what I like most about them).

Maybe just start with that speaker and a Rat boosted into whatever amp you're using. Volume on full, drive at 10:30, filter at 9 o'clock.

I think that the best thing about the 75s is that with the non muddy low mids, bit scooped, fizzy top end sound, they will take a dark tone very well and still sound clear and concise.

Thanks you for the tip, I try to hunt something loaded with this!

Moltar

Reaction score
Thanks you for the tip, I try to hunt something loaded with this!
Yea I had been using V30s for years, as everyone said it was the best for metal. That and I had heard people saying stay away from the 75s they're scooped and harsh and trash. So once at a gig I used someones standard marshall 4x12 with the 75s and I had never heard my setup sound so good. Was a convert instantly as they say.

So now I have two in my Orange 2x12 and they just sound so much better and clearer to me and what for I'm looking for(dark sound through a clean clear speaker with a bit of that wonderful fizz on top)

laxu

Reaction score
Definitely a bit scooped, good bottom end, fizzy top end but not too much(this is what I like most about them).

These are exactly the reasons why I don't like the T75s. Not a fan of V30s either to be honest, that midrange spike can get really grating.

wakjob

Reaction score
And this scooped mid can't be compensated by EQ?

Yes, of course.

This is why Marshall amps have such a bodacious midrange, but when paired with the stock t75's they just synergize compensating for each others differences.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Imho t75s scooped mids are very very very difficult to compensate.
Check out Creamback or Creamback Neo. Very smooth and nice speaker.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
The lynchback I have in mind for old school smooth high gain...very underated speackers. Also think about an EVH 412 with the custom celestion...very smooth, a nice bite, huge low end

Moltar

Reaction score
I use Orange amps Rockerverb Dual Dark and Thunderverb, so maybe similar to how the 75s work so well with Marshalls(because of the midrange), they work with the Oranges.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
You can get a peavey XXX 412 for $200. Its like a dark V30 type speaker that takes 100 watts. It has a broader mid/treb spike than the V30 sounds more upfront.

The XXL was probably designed to work with that cab.

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you mean dark like it has no high end then the Jensen C12K is right up your alley. I used to use one paired with a Jensen Mod12-110 and honestly I could never tell it was even making sound the Mod was so dominating.

If you mean dark like it has zero mids then the dire wolf from Weber would be great. Their description would lead you to believe it has lots of mids but it does not. I have an 8 ohm one if you want to buy to try out lol.

If you want something with a bit of cut mids but is still usable then you can get the G12-K100. If you want slightly more mids than that then the G12H Redback would be a good option. I'm not really big on either and the Redback has some high end which I am not a fan of that makes it sound fizzy to me.

I feel like the T75s have a bit more high end than the K100s but I've not done a direct comparison before between them. They are both clear speakers though, you won't get any rough or raggedy sound out of them in the mids like with a V30 or greenback type speaker which you either seem to love or hate.

Latest posts