Dark terror vs jim root terror

• Thread starter steve k
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steve k

Reaction score
im looking into buying one of the two im unsure of which, i haven't had the chance to try either out as of yet but i will be. i was basically wondering if anyone has played either or both and what they think. the type of stuff im looking to play is hardcore stuff and heavier.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I have. I preferred the DT to the Root - a little more tonal versatility. The Root was a bit too compressed, and a little too "furry". Take a look at the OR15 too though. I thought that one was nicer than either of the others, had plenty of gain, and if you for some reason needed more, takes pedals in front nicely.

I should mention that I had a Rockerverb 50 too, which supposedly has the tone stack the Root is based upon. They were pretty close. For about 1/3 the price, I'd take the little guy ALL DAY. The RV is a great amp, but I think Orange kinda shot themselves in the foot by making the Root and DT so darn nice!

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I own a Dark Terror. Since I got it, it has put my 100w Randall head to a shame silence. Haven,t played the JR though

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I also preferred the Dark Terror over the Jim Root. But you really can't go wrong with either.:yesway:

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried a Root after it came out and in a blind test picked the Terror more often. Any extra eq shaping you need can be done with a pedal, but not that you really need it with the DT.

slothrop

Reaction score
I just picked up a DT last week, I wasn't able to play a root but I'm very happy with the dt because of the great tone and price I got it for.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
i actually liked the root better, but like others have said its a little bit more fuzzy. thats what i wanted though, so it works for me

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I really like the DT. I can dial in a good thick midrange sound on the gain and the cleans are probably the best out of the numerous amps I own/have owned. I recently did some recordings with the cleans and my colleagues have basically all complemented me on 'em.

I like the DT so much that I need around $1,000 for a TH-100 now.

steve k

Reaction score
thanks for everyones help i was edging towards the dt plus it is cheaper so that's even better :p anyone got any sound demos of their own dark terror i can hear ?

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
Go the DT... just purchased one myself after doing about 2hours A/B with the Root. Honestly the DT is more "gain" junky geared (dare I say metal) and really really really easy to get a tone from...

with one "knob" you cant go wrong.

My son (Line 6 owner) laughed at my simply view point but the DT with a V30 cab, a Boss NS and an Analogman OD3 hitting the front end sounds massive. Gibson Les Paul with EMG81/85.

Having owned Mesa, Marshall, Peavey, Blackstar and Line 6 gear I know this is a winner.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
Go the DT... just purchased one myself after doing about 2hours A/B with the Root. Honestly the DT is more "gain" junky geared (dare I say metal) and really really really easy to get a tone from...

with one "knob" you cant go wrong.

My son (Line 6 owner) laughed at my simply view point but the DT with a V30 cab, a Boss NS and an Analogman OD3 hitting the front end sounds massive. Gibson Les Paul with EMG81/85.

Having owned Mesa, Marshall, Peavey, Blackstar and Line 6 gear I know this is a winner.

I had a les paul with emg goingto that amp into a cab with a 12inch green back it sounded to heavy and punchy

')