Darker tone

totalnewb

Reaction score
I have a Blackstar HT-5RH 5 Watt 2 Channel Tube Head - Black

and

a blackstar HTV 112 1x12 80 watt speaker cabinate and I am playing on a Chuck Schuldiner B.C. Rich.

However my sound seems to be a bit too bright and I am not sure how to remedy it, any suggestions?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

totalnewb

Reaction score
Adjust the presence, less mids/more bass, maybe a JJ 12AX7 to smooth it out a bit?

I did that, ( added more bass, lowered mids) that improved the thicker string darkness, but halfway down it gets really bright compared to the others. Not sure how to fix that?

p4vl

Reaction score
I don't know anything abotu replacing tubes. :(

Preamp tubes are easy - just pull the old one and replace it with the new one. Just make sure you line up the pins (read your amp's manual to determine which tube socket will affect your tone).

My Agile Les Paul copy w/BG pickups was too dark. I couldn't dial it out without my tone becoming mush; then I noticed that the tone capacitors were .022uf so I replaced them with .047uf caps and it was infinitely better and a cheap fix.

The Schuldiner Stealth has a Dimarzio X2n, doesn't it? Those are nuclear bright.

totalnewb

Reaction score
Preamp tubes are easy - just pull the old one and replace it with the new one. Just make sure you line up the pins (read your amp's manual to determine which tube socket will affect your tone).

My Agile Les Paul copy w/BG pickups was too dark. I couldn't dial it out without my tone becoming mush; then I noticed that the tone capacitors were .022uf so I replaced them with .047uf caps and it was infinitely better and a cheap fix.

The Schuldiner Stealth has a Dimarzio X2n, doesn't it? Those are nuclear bright.

Yeah, it does have the Dimarzio x2n. It won't affect my warrenty to swap out a tube? Also, I have multiple guitars, how would I go about attacking that issue? ( the schuldiner is my favorite, haven't played a better guitar) b ut I do have a 7 string that I like playing sometimes B.C. Rich jrv 7 w/ Pickups: B.C. Rich B.D.S.M Humbuckers and a 6 string fernandes ravelle with EMG 60/85. Not sure what to do here.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
The ht5s don't respond to tube changes as much as other amps because of all of the opamps in them. You can shape it a little, but the best bet would be to replace your speaker or get an eq for the effects loop.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Try thicker strings. Easier/cheaper than messing with an amp.

4Eyes

Reaction score
try to play in a band mix, it will cure any needs for darker tone :)

totalnewb

Reaction score
The ht5s don't respond to tube changes as much as other amps because of all of the opamps in them. You can shape it a little, but the best bet would be to replace your speaker or get an eq for the effects loop.

Replace the speaker? Doesn't it have an EQ built in?

Mike

Reaction score
ISF knob all the way to the right, roll back the mid knob a bit.

SSK0909

Reaction score
How old is the speaker? New speakers are often more harsh and need a lot of hours of play time to become more mellow/darker.

totalnewb

Reaction score
ISF knob all the way to the right, roll back the mid knob a bit.

I'll try this later when I can and report back and let you know how that went. I really appreciate all of you guys/girls helping me to get this issue resolved.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I think that's a ways off for me, honestly. Just been playing for about a year seriously. That's a while away.

there are so many options to create your own backing tracks with sampled drums, bass and pre-record some guitars to practice with, today..

or much simpler practice with your favorite songs as backing tracks, you'll appreciate brighter tone which will cut through the whole mix :agreed:

Latest posts

')