Darkglass B7K Ultra vs Microtubes 200 amp

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never worried much about cabsims on bass, as most people haven't for decades.

Adding in an amp/cab track or re-amping bass sure but I wouldn't worry too much about having a "cab" signal for bass. Nothing wrong with using one but I wouldn't say it's necessary by any means.

You can always track your DI bass, make a direct copy and high pass/low pass them so you have a crossover set of tracks and process them differently.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
100% totally agree. I'm super comfortable getting the guitar tone I like, but I find bass weirdly frustrating. It seems as though it should be simpler, right?
Yeah, I know what I want, but it’s hard to know how to get there. What I liked about the Infiniry is I can download a preset that I know I like.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I've never worried much about cabsims on bass, as most people haven't for decades.

Adding in an amp/cab track or re-amping bass sure but I wouldn't worry too much about having a "cab" signal for bass. Nothing wrong with using one but I wouldn't say it's necessary by any means.

You can always track your DI bass, make a direct copy and high pass/low pass them so you have a crossover set of tracks and process them differently.
Yeah, initially I didn’t care, but that filtering of the high frequencies seems necessary on distorted tones. Clean needs nothing.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I’ve looked into the sansamp(s). In looking at this stuff, I’ve gone way down the rabbit hole of bass tones. Just being on here, I’ve really learned a crap ton about guitar tone, so I have a super good idea of what is going on there, what I want, etc. But bass is so different, and coming into this I didn’t realize all of those differences. What I’ve learned is that I really like the multi band distortion, where the distortion occurs on the higher frequencies. There are a few pedals that do that (including the dug pinnick Sansamp), so I’ve looked into most of those. That’s the X version of the Darkglass stuff. There aren’t too many pedals that have cab sims and good headphone outs, other than the X ultra and the MT infinity, so I think I’m going to have to spring for that.
Incidentally, it’s interesting how well DG stuff holds its value. The actual company drops prices faster than used prices drop, lol.

When I first started playing bass, it took a couple of years for me to figure out my sound. I tended to dial my bass tone too much like a guitar and not enough like a bass, which caused a few volume wars with the guitarists along the way.

I think it's something you need to experience before you really understand it. Like... you can spend hours reading a million threads online, then you learn more in 10 seconds once you get the chance to try it IRL.

100% totally agree. I'm super comfortable getting the guitar tone I like, but I find bass weirdly frustrating. It seems as though it should be simpler, right?

IMO, if your goal is a basic bass tone it's pretty simple (DI, Compressor, EQ).

Once you start adding dirt... fuck me.

+1. On a "Bass" channel I don't use cab sims. DI, Compressor, EQ.

Cab sims are basically bandpass filters, so they're cutting the highs and lows, giving the soundman less frequency to work with.

Only reason I like cab sims is for filtering distortion.

')