Darkwolf, where do you get fretboard dye again?

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Since "dye" is too small of a word to search for I had to make a thread about it :D I think me UV needs a black neck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You can search for smaller words by adding "site:sevenstring.org" to a Google search.

Like this.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Joe,
You can get from http://www.stewmac.com
Fiebing's saddle dye, great stuff - same as what's used by Gibson & Martin.
Ibanez could learn a thing or two by their example....:rolleyes:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Fiebings Oil Dye is what you want. Stewmac sells it, or you can search for it online and find somewhere without a minimum order like I did. I believe I ended up ordering some from a gourd place. :lol:

Ibycan7

Reaction score
wow...so that stuff will dye your rosewood fretboard. what about the fret markers? I'm assuming it does not cover them.....do you just I apply it and wipe it? (the neck)

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a whole thread I made on how to go about doing this (which is also supported by I believe 2 other threads... but mine has pics :fawk: ). You can use a pencil eraser on the dots. Works really well.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Regor said:
There's a whole thread I made on how to go about doing this (which is also supported by I believe 2 other threads... but mine has pics :fawk: ). You can use a pencil eraser on the dots. Works really well.

Link?

I remember the thread, didn't you say to clean the board with naptha first? That would be lighter fluid correct?

tehk

Yes..
Reaction score
You can search for smaller words by adding "site:sevenstring.org" to a Google search.

That's even more amazing then the fretboard dye! That's a really cool trick :)

I'd like to try that fretboard dye. From what I've seen, it looks like it works wonders.

"Cannot ship by air or outside the USA."

Aw poopies.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
tehk said:
That's even more amazing then the fretboard dye! That's a really cool trick :)

I'd like to try that fretboard dye. From what I've seen, it looks like it works wonders.

"Cannot ship by air or outside the USA."

Aw poopies.

I can point you in the right direction for that, fellow Canuck.

You can score it from a good horse tack shop that does saddle & leather repairs. Mine cost me $5 for the bottle. Great stuff. If you still have difficulty finding some, PM me and I'll show you where I bought mine. I hope you drive. :D

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Regor said:

Yes, this interests me greatly too... do you think it will ruin the disappearing multi-color pyramids on my UV7-MC neck?

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
TMM said:
Yes, this interests me greatly too... do you think it will ruin the disappearing multi-color pyramids on my UV7-MC neck?
No chance. The dye has to be absorbed to be effective. Since wood is far more porous and absorbative than MoP and abalone, or plastic, it won'y have any lasting impact on inlays and the like. It basically just rubs off of them with a very mild abrasive, like a pencil eraser.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
That is, if it stains it at all, had no effect on my 'older' sharkteeth. No cleaning needed. Now the binding, that it stained like crazy...

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes. :D

Before:

UVmod002.jpg

And after:

UVmod004.jpg

The difference is night and day, as it were.

Ibycan7

Reaction score
it looks great. I didn't realize that it will make it dark rosewood color like new not look like Ebony neck. is it brown dye and not black I guess?

tongueofcolicab

kali is the sweethog
Reaction score
after time though won't the dye come off? more importantly, if you don't use some of the neck when playing will the dye be there more so than areas that you play more often on? because then it would be one funny looking neck lol

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
If any is gonna wear off, it'll do so in the first week or so. Some might wipe off when you're oiling the board, though.

The dye is black, and after about 10-20 coats it might get the wood 100% black. Never tried. You can dye all you want though and it will never get rid of the rosewood 'grain', therefore it will never look like ebony under close iinspection. I wouldn't bother.

This guitar was dyed a year ago (only a couple coats, I might re-do it make it really dark one of these days):
MAY312006760.jpg

RG760april2006-1.jpg

')