Dave Grohl Keynote Speech SXSW

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
40? Try 60!

I listened to all of it and liked it cause I like Dave Grohl and never actually watched any Nirvana documentaries so it was fun hearing a short rendition of the recording of Nevermind, but I'm now left wondering what the point of SXSW is - is it some kind of music industry rally?

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Dave's the man.

Everything that guy touches turns to gold (and platinum...)...to play in one hugely successful band is one thing, to play in two hugely successful bands is pretty much unheard of.

I really can't think of anyone really who has pulled that off...Phil Collins, but Genesis was never as big as Nirvana...

flint757

Reaction score
40? Try 60!

I listened to all of it and liked it cause I like Dave Grohl and never actually watched any Nirvana documentaries so it was fun hearing a short rendition of the recording of Nevermind, but I'm now left wondering what the point of SXSW is - is it some kind of music industry rally?

Bands are playing everywhere (literally), but in a sense it is kind of a music industry rally (and every other entertainment industry as well) as it is definitely not the only thing going on at the time. It's films, awards, conferences, trade shows, bands, music, sessions, courses, games, food, etc.

bigredmetfan

Reaction score
Dave's the man.

Everything that guy touches turns to gold (and platinum...)...to play in one hugely successful band is one thing, to play in two hugely successful bands is pretty much unheard of.

I really can't think of anyone really who has pulled that off...Phil Collins, but Genesis was never as big as Nirvana...

If nirvana never existed Dave and the foo fighters probably wouldn't have blown up like they did....he pretty much used Kurts material for the first foo fighters album....what a way to capitalize on nirvanas desmise....props to him

wankerness

Reaction score
If nirvana never existed Dave and the foo fighters probably wouldn't have blown up like they did....he pretty much used Kurts material for the first foo fighters album....what a way to capitalize on nirvanas desmise....props to him

Wow, this is the first time I've heard someone accuse the foo fighter's entire career of being based on ripping off Kurt Cobain's music and profiting off his death, did you come here in a time capsule from 1995?

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Wow, this is the first time I've heard someone accuse the foo fighter's entire career of being based on ripping off Kurt Cobain's music and profiting off his death, did you come here in a time capsule from 1995?

Eitherway that would still explain why the later Foo Fighters albums are better: He ran out of Kurt's songs :lol:

8last

Reaction score

Nirvana definetly helped him get his foot in the door. I gotta say though, I don't even like the foo fighters (old stuff is ok) but Dave is where he is because of talent. He wouldnt have been able to live off of nirvana for this long.

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
None of the Foo Fighters songs sound anything like Nirvana...two completley different animals IMO.

bigredmetfan

Reaction score
None of the Foo Fighters songs sound anything like Nirvana...two completley different animals IMO.

I would say early foo fighters have a lot of nirvanas sound. If Dave grohl never had played in nirvana the foo fighters would not have been huge at all.

wankerness

Reaction score
The Foo Fighters never really got that big until they started having hit singles that sounded absolutely nothing like Nirvana. I know the first album got a little bit of radio play, but they've just gotten bigger as the years have gone on and it's pretty assuredly not because the album that the fewest people have heard sounded like Nirvana. IMO the way Nirvana caused him to be successful is that he already had a lot of major connections in the music industry when he started Foo Fighters so that got him airplay, not that he was a "Nirvana Ripoff." Not to mention, why WOULDN'T he play music in a similar genre? He was in Nirvana, after all, so presumably he liked the music! Would you expect him to go on to do country/western or prog metal or something? Much of the music he talks about in that video as being a huge influence on him when he was a kid was the same stuff that Kurt Cobain listened to.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks nirvana and foo fighters both suck ass?

thatguy87

DjentyGoodness
Reaction score
Nirvana ... meh.

Foo Fighters - specifically The Colour and the Shape - HOLY SHIT.

Dave also played (plays?) for Queens of the Stone Age and Tenacious D.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
How awesome was that?

Great speech! I love the notion of "musician first." No kidding... as kids, we do stuff because we can - not for profit, fame, recognition, etc... we just do it because we can and need to.

I know far too many artists (musicians, painters, theatre artists, singers, etc.) that have forgotten that and are bitter and pissy that things don't go their way and think just because they work, they are entitled to be successful. And when that wish isn't immediately granted, they stop... they don't remember that as kids, we didn't care, we just did.

I loved that he talked about the hours and hours in the barn and just him doing the first Foo Fighters record as just long hard work. And just getting back to the work of it. I'm a firm believer that success lies in being prepared for opportunity.

Awesome speech.

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
I have to say Dave Grohl is one of my favourite people on the planet, bar none. I was never a huge Nirvana fan but I am a huge foo fighters fan, his talent, his playing, his writing etc is just way way awesome on so many levels. Tenacious D, QOTSA, Probot and so on, everything he has written, co-written or even just played on has feeling.

I love the way he is just straight up, honest and seemingly very down to earth. A friend of mine met him at an airport two years ago, he was by himself and my buddy asked him for an autograph, he signed something for him and then proceeded to have what I was told was a near two hour conversation about thrash metal and death metal. I have a ton of respect for ANY musician that pays their dues first before their stardom. Simple plan for example, sure they dont make great music but all of those guys toured in punk rock bands, eating kraft dinner and mr.noodles while playing to small crowds. I dont care how much money a band makes, if they broke their backs to get there and paid their dues, they have my utmost respect.

I watched the Foo fighters documentary and it was FAR and FAR above every other puff piece BS band documentary that I have ever watched. They lay it down from beginning to end and they dont hide a single thing, not even the ugly stuff. Anyone that hasnt seen it should really watch it.

Anyways, this was a damn fine watch, I watched it with my coffee this morning and it set my day in the right direction.

Demiurge

Reaction score

I'd really like to know where this repository of Kurt Cobain's unrecorded material was found after his death... and additionally how in some way only Dave Grohl and not Courtney Love found it and exploited it.

Why is it that every time Foo Fighters get brought up, somebody has to pretend to be clever and claim that Dave Puff-Daddied Kurt?

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
For starters, if ANYONE stole music from Kurt Cobain it was that scumbag Courtney Love. Her first two albums were almost ALL Kurt's material. Funny how her first two albums noted her in the writing credits and then after those two records she started enlisting help from songwriters. Whereas Foo fighters has lived long and prospered for a long time.

Why do you think Courtney Love didnt cash in and release the "long lost Cobain tapes" when labels were offering up GIANT money for them. Because she used all the material for Hole. Nirvana's bassist went on record as saying that he had jammed a few of the songs with Kurt before his death.

Dave Grohl was a musician before Nirvana, he was a musician after Nirvana. Sure maybe Foo fighters music sounds a little like Nirvana at times but uhm,,, he was in a band with Kurt Cobain and played his music for a long time. It would have been impossible not to take influences away from the band.

Some people should know things before yapping.

Demiurge

Reaction score
For starters, if ANYONE stole music from Kurt Cobain it was that scumbag Courtney Love. Her first two albums were almost ALL Kurt's material. Funny how her first two albums noted her in the writing credits and then after those two records she started enlisting help from songwriters. Whereas Foo fighters has lived long and prospered for a long time.

Why do you think Courtney Love didnt cash in and release the "long lost Cobain tapes" when labels were offering up GIANT money for them. Because she used all the material for Hole. Nirvana's bassist went on record as saying that he had jammed a few of the songs with Kurt before his death.

Dave Grohl was a musician before Nirvana, he was a musician after Nirvana. Sure maybe Foo fighters music sounds a little like Nirvana at times but uhm,,, he was in a band with Kurt Cobain and played his music for a long time. It would have been impossible not to take influences away from the band.

Some people should know things before yapping.

Thank you. Also, let's not forget that Krist Novoselic also started a band after Nirvana. He was longer-tenured, probably much closer to Kurt, and... well, 1000 internet points to whomever can name his post-Nirvana band without looking it up. If there were something to be had from Nirvana's fame, Krist had more of the inside track than Dave, yet somehow things went differently.

Latest posts

')