Dave Mustaine ditches ESP

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
ESP, Jackson, Dean and Conklin all make great guitars which all feel different :agreed: no more needs to be said :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
ESP, Jackson, Dean and Conklin all make great guitars which all feel different :agreed: no more needs to be said :agreed:

images

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Since none of us have any idea what's going on...GUITAR PICS!!

This Horizon is on yahoo JP auctions and is totally badass

PurpleHorizon1.jpg

PurpleHorizon2.jpg

PurpleHorizon3.jpg

Jack's on the back too, pretty cool.

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
I'm guessing you've never played a CS Jackson. In terms of playability, materials, worksmanship, and tone, Mike's Soloist absolutely crushes just about anything out there. I've played a $9000 PRS Singlecut Private Reserve that wasn't in the same ballpark. Sure, it looked really nice, but the tone and playability weren't even close.

I think a lot of people just assume than a Conklin is better, because Jackson is a "metal" guitar company. Looks are really the last factor in the equation IMHO. Case in point: Steve, the guitarist for Imagika, has a plain black KxK V that plays and sounds as nice as anything I have ever touched. It doesn't look like much, but just playing it unplugged, you can totally tell that it is one of the special ones.

I know man, dont you and mike go nuts on me with the Jackson CS shop. :lol:

What I was trying to get at was that FOR ME, if I had 5500 to spend, and I was dead set on spending it all on 1 guitar, I wouldnt get a Jackson or an ESP. I said nothing of quality or how one looks "metal" so it must suck(I know a few people that think that way and often tell me "play a mature player's guitar". They arent too happy about my KxK order to be honest.).

I know Jackson doesnt do 8 string + instruments with fanned frets, so if I had 5500, why not get a fanned 9 string instead of some 6 string ESP? That was my point...not that pointy headstocks make an instrument bad quality, or that Jackson and ESP are bad quality or whatever.

And for the record, out of the 3, the only one I havent played, is a Conklin (except a GT7 bass which was really easy to play).

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
FWIW

Dave played D'Addario Light top / Heavy bottoms for years, before going to GHS. I believe they are 10-52's.

Ellefson is not allowed to mention the name "megadeth" more than once, in any kinda of press. I'm sure the mention in his discography meets that limit.

I never thought dave's tone was horrible... just too unnatural, since RIP. Live - it sounds too electronic or something, and studio, he's just a producer nazi and overkills even the drum sounds.

I agree with the statement made that, given the gear options, his tone should be god-like, yet it's not. I believe he has the fingers to yield a huge crushing sound.... but his knob-work sucks. Somebody else should produce his records and somebody else should dial his live tone.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
LOL and people were complaining that his ESP models were expensive :lol:

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
that Blabbermouth article said:
MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine is expected to announce at the NAMM show (National Association of Music Merchants) that he has signed a deal with Dean Guitars to develop his new signature-model guitars following his split with ESP Guitars this past fall.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the article.

It said that he is expected to announce that it is Dean.

Re-reading your initial comment though, you said that it "looks like it's Dean"

Not something like "He picked Dean"

Consider my original comment retracted.

Nick1

Reaction score
uh, its probably gonna be the same exact guitar esp did for him but with a Dean logo on the headstock instead of an ESP logo.

')