Dealbreakers. What are yours?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Recent discussions of age-old topics such as pickups, SS frets, 22 vs 24 fret guitars or Original Floyd Rose vs FR-1000 tremolos made me curious about what things people consider as a total dealbreaker when purchasing an instrument. Something that can be completely trivial to one person can be unbearable to others. To me the most offending stuff are things that I can't change no matter what.

I'll start. There's only one thing that makes me discard a guitar instantly, and that's a TOM bridge. Since I rest my forearm on the guitar when playing, they're just uncomfortable. And the worst part is that they add an angle to the neck towards your body, which is also awful for ergonomics.

Bolt-on guitars with huge square heel joints would be a close second. I can work with those at least, but would be restricted to only one of my bands (as I play less solos and most of the don't go up high), and I'm sure they'll get less playtime at home as well.

Shoot! :donnie:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
Inlays that are not real mother of pearl on Jacksons and Les Paul Customs.

Logos that are not ESP on "ESP" guitars.

Basically anything that makes a guitar look like a cheap version of itself. It feels like an impostor. I'd much rather have a cheap guitar that isn't trying to be something it's not. If that makes sense.

Oh, and also direct mount pickups.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Artist name on the inlay at the 12th fret or similar, ive grown to dislike most inlays actually, especially shark tooth/shark fin types.

Re-finish in non OEM colour, especially if poorly executed.

Extra holes drilled for pots or switches.

')