Dealbreakers. What are yours?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HylianN

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably already listed but I'll throw some out:

Volume pot LITERALLY ON the bridge (looking at you Fender/ESP)
TOM bridges
Non-SS frets
Not having locking tuners
Anything below a 12" radius fretboard
Glossy/slick necks
pickup rings
Typical fat strat neck heel ugh
Anything fishman
Les Pauls are hideous (I said it)
*also forgot has to have Jumbo frets!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thesius

Reaction score
Probably already listed but I'll throw some out:

Volume pot LITERALLY ON the bridge (looking at you Fender/ESP)
TOM bridges
Non-SS frets
Not having locking tuners
Anything below a 12" radius fretboard
Glossy/slick necks
pickup rings
Typical fat strat neck heel ugh
Anything fishman
Les Pauls are hideous (I said it)

Most correct post so far

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If it won't set in a good Classical position - I've got too many standard-shaped guitars.

TheSomberlain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like a lot of the hated things lol

I prefer TOM bridges (feels best for my hand placement), gloss necks (my hands don't get very sweaty and glide better), pickup rings (easier to adjust pickup height on the go imo), toggle switches, solid color paint jobs (including the dreaded, overdone all black guitar), and, non reversed headstock.

Only must have that I haven't strayed from is an Ebony fretboard.

This is my main guitar and embodies perfection for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411_122921_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230411_122921_Facebook.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like a lot of the hated things lol

I prefer TOM bridges (feels best for my hand placement), gloss necks (my hands don't get very sweaty and glide better), pickup rings (easier to adjust pickup height on the go imo), toggle switches, solid color paint jobs (including the dreaded, overdone all black guitar), and, non reversed headstock.

Only must have that I haven't strayed from is an Ebony fretboard.

This is my main guitar and embodies perfection for me.

I used to think I hated gloss necks, but then I tried a few ESPs. I realized that I hate the way Gibson and Fender do their gloss necks. They use some disgustingly sticky and thick gunk. It's honestly offensive that any person would think that's an appropriate way to finish a neck. On the other hand, the ESPs I've played with gloss necks have been perfect.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I used to think I hated gloss necks, but then I tried a few ESPs. I realized that I hate the way Gibson and Fender do their gloss necks. They use some disgustingly sticky and thick gunk. It's honestly offensive that any person would think that's an appropriate way to finish a neck. On the other hand, the ESPs I've played with gloss necks have been perfect.

I have an RG with a gloss back of neck and I only really notice it when going from satin/oiled to the gloss neck. I've had a LTD with a satin back of neck that I liked a lot, but I wore it down to gloss very quickly. I feel like it's only a noticeable drawback when I don't maintain efficient technique with my left hand posture, though.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Not all gloss necks are equal for sure. Jackson USA & Japan gloss necks are great and I love them. I actually prefer them to oiled necks. They never feel sticky under my hands, and they're super easy to mantain clean.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I already said it, but context is needed.

Several guitar manufacturers put string retainers/trees on when they already have tilt-back headstocks rendering them superfluously ugly.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Black binding on maple. Used to have a Geddy Lee bass, it was like painful to look at those side dots. There's a Japanese feeling-onomatopoeia for when your eyes feel "flickering" by something visual, "chika-chika". 目がチカチカする。Black binding on maple makes my eyes feel "flickered".

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Extra knobs/switches that should not be there.
Saw a very pretty '79 silverburst once, but with an added toggle switch between the four knobs.

Hard pass.

Other than that, anything else I can't fix anymore without it showing. On of the very worst examples is all those old SG's that have had a bigsby mounted on them at one time, with the holes now plugged.

Provided I can play it first, IMHO that's more of a shut up and take my money sign. Especially on an older guitar. To me it's a sign I liked this guitar enough instead of buying a new guitar I'll make my baby do it.

20221202_173253.jpg

Plugged switch holes, plugged Bigsby holes, a giant ass sticker covering a single coil route and beat to absolute shit. One of the best playing, and when the wiring works, best sound guitars I've ever played, and it's a "vintage" Gibson that I picked up for cheaper than your average Epiphone goes for these days.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
Mine have nothing to do with sound just things of which I'm not a fan of the feel:

Rosewood/pau ferro fretboards
Volume knob too close to my picking hand (strats and a lot of ESPs unfortunately)

That's it I'm pretty easy.

unusual

EBMM Slave
Reaction score
Vintage "reissues" bother me. Never going to consider paying 2023 money for a 1968 recreation. And I'd never pay extra for one that looks like it came from 1968 either. So pre-beaten axes are out too.

If I spend modern money, I want a modern guitar.

Reaction score
... passive pickup guitars routed for actives...

... swapping a LoPro/Edge/EdgePro for an original Floyd Rose on an Ibanez guitar... more so if it's a higher tier model, like prestige level...

... deep mods being sold with "Like New" price tags...
... adding to the list:

- Relic'ed guitars - some natural wear doesn't bother me. Relic'ed guitars for the sake of looking used/old is super lame.

')