Dealbreakers. What are yours?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MeloJG

Reaction score
My fingers are past their prime, so I doubt I'll buy another 25.5" scale 6 string. I'd make an exception for a 7 since there aren't many options in short scale.

I also have an easier time playing 24 frets than I do 22 cuz I have this nerve pinching wrist thing that kicks in when I'm playing in higher positions. 24 tends to shift everything forward a couple notches, so that's something I consider

I think multiscale looks funky, and I'd never buy one unless it was used to make stuff shorter and easier to play like a 25-24
For a 7 string with a slightly shorter scale try tracking down some of the first prs se custom 24 7 strings, they had a 25" scale length.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MeloJG

Reaction score
I have few deal breakers, I find something to love, like or appreciate in most guitars when put in the right context. That being said I can't really deal with.....
1) Baseball bat necks, I can deal with "standard C" or "modern C" shaped necks, some of them feel very nice, and I can deal with 60s gibson neck profiles, but if the neck as chunky as hell it's a complete turn off.
2) Pickup rings on modern guitars, it just makes them look cheap, however they look right on more classic looking guitars such as les pauls and 335s.
3) Killswitches, I find them dumb.
4) 22 frets on 7 string/extended range guitars, unless it's a jazz box/hollow body jazz guitar I feel like you might as well add 2 more frets.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
My only 100% dealbreaker is no tone knob. I play with it rolled off to some extent more than half the time.
Not my business but that 100% dealbreaker has a very easy solution. Get a drill and make a small hole. Then use a reamer to enlarge it to 6 or 9mm to fit a tone pot in there. Easy!

Hoss632

Reaction score
Thin necks, by that I mean anything slimmer than 20mm. 20mm is pushing it but I can do it. I prefer 21-24ishmm personally.
Gloss painted necks are a no for me. I know you can sand it down I just am eh about doing that to a guitar. I'd just rather a natural tung oil neck or a satin painted from the factory one. And as shallow as it sounds, just over all aesthetics. If I don't like how it looks I'm not picking it up no matter how great it might play.

Pippo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My dealbreakers in order of importance:

- gloss fretboard
- too thick neck profile
- square heel (please Ibanez, release an RG565 with AANJ)
- Floyd Rose and any trem with the fine tuners pointing upwards (Ibanez Edge is fine, though)

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I have a couple:
1. Licensed floyds that ARE NOT original edge/lo-pro edge. I tried it with my Carvin and didn't like it. I just use the whammy too much and the licensed ones never hold up.
2. Painted/glossy necks. I just never got along with these. I much to prefer the wood in my hands.
3. This one is funny - but I can't stand super heavy plain 3rd strings. When I tune 6s to B I usually have to use a wound string.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally found an example of another dealbreaker.
Screenshot_20230317_135942_Reverb.jpg

On paper, I'd probably love playing this thing.

But!

The body and headstock binding with those inlays is gaudy as fuck. I don't want to look like I'm playing an Affliction t shirt.

Or this one
Screenshot_20230313_203501_DuckDuckGo.jpg

jl-austin

Reaction score
my dealbreaker, MIC
my brother gave me a MIC guitar, and it's not a bad guitar, its more of the principal of it than quality.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not my business but that 100% dealbreaker has a very easy solution. Get a drill and make a small hole. Then use a reamer to enlarge it to 6 or 9mm to fit a tone pot in there. Easy!
Easy-ish 😁 I'm looking at the two half-finished kit guitars in my mancave and I can't say I'd trust myself taking a drill to a new guitar. A cheap find from Reverb maybe, but not something new out of the box.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Easy-ish 😁 I'm looking at the two half-finished kit guitars in my mancave and I can't say I'd trust myself taking a drill to a new guitar. A cheap find from Reverb maybe, but not something new out of the box.

Then get it done by someone else. It's still easy, they won't charge much, and your biggest dealbreaker is forever gone.

elkoki

Reaction score
When it’s made in China . Don’t think I’ve owned any guitar made in China in a long time

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
When it’s made in China . Don’t think I’ve owned any guitar made in China in a long time
Pick up an Eastman and you'll throw this silly hangup out the window.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I remember when Eastman were like the only company putting out semi/hollow body 7 strings- for ridiculous prices yet still under the custom build costs.

I've seen one, it played ok. Didn't play worth the money, but it was ok. Being made in Beijing though I'd never buy something from them which I could get from anywhere else.

elkoki

Reaction score
I think these days people have more of an ethical problem/problem of principle buying from China than a quality issue.
That’s true but for me it’s more about quality

')