Dealbreakers. What are yours?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
D Neck profile. I don't mind if it is thick, thin, C, U, hard V, soft V... but a D? I cannot. I just don't like D.

And speaking seriously, yeah, I don't like Wizards or Jackson's Speed profile...

Celtic Frosted Flakes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No go for me:
-Not made in the USA or Japan
-Evertune
-Satin finish
-Single inlay at 12th fret
-Offset inlays
-Headless
-Multiscale
-More than 6 strings
-More than 25.5 inch scale length
-Abalone

jonsick

Reaction score
Deal breakers for me are direct mount pickups. That is an instant no longer interested spec.

As for bridges, though the Floyd Rose Special is absolute junk, it is compatible with the OFR requiring very minimal modification if any. But if the tremolo is junk and far from standard, then I'll probably think twice.

The other big one is odd wood mix. I have a couple of guitars with maple necks and mahogany bodies and they all sound a bit weird to me. I just don't think they make good bedfellows. Mahogany bodies need to stick with mahogany necks and maple necks with alder/poplar/ash.

Reaction score
I just don't like D.
Can't relate
shade-prince.gif

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
8 strings less than 27" that aren't targeting a high A

RG8s with Gibraltar bridges

25.5" LPs

ESP Horizons-IIs

Jacksons with rosewood fretboards

Soapbar routes on 7+ strings made after 2014

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Why don't you like Fender scale LPs?
Because if I'm playing an LP shaped guitar it's because I want to feel like Fripp or Page or Di Meola or whoever, and that extra scale defeats the purpose.

A 27+ baritone type deal is one thing, but there are tonnes of 25.5 scale guitars out there that we don't need to have them be LP shaped. It's blasphemous, like a strat with a neck humbucker or tele with a bridge humbucker. At some point you have to ask yourself what's the point of all this?

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Not having pickup rings.

I mean...I'm into woodworking and understand how much harder it is to have the perfect route for a pickup, but there's something in my brain that says they cheaped out the guitar. Maybe it's a little PTSD from when they thought using this pickup was a good idea
th-2760885602.jpg

But either give me pickup rings or a Strat style pickguard, other wise....hard pass.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
@StevenC

A year or two ago I owned the E-II H-FR7 or whatever for about a day and liked the way it sounded a lot, but it had some hard to fix faults so I sent it back. Is it a QC issue in your opinion, or are there physical differences between them? I ask because I think about the one I had quite a bit.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
@StevenC

A year or two ago I owned the E-II H-FR7 or whatever for about a day and liked the way it sounded a lot, but it had some hard to fix faults so I sent it back. Is it a QC issue in your opinion, or are there physical differences between them? I ask because I think about the one I had quite a bit.
H-IIs look shit

AuroraTide

Reaction score
Glossy/sticky necks
Over the top inlays
Overly complicated electronics
Bright finishes
Graphic finishes

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Soapbar routes. I'd love to have a 7-string strandberg but they don't want to mess with angled bobbins so all their fixed bridge 7s have soapbar routes and active pickups. I'll probably end up grabbing one with a trem since I can change the fishmans out for passives (assuming I can find one without a lame pastel finish), but I don't love the strandberg trems and they inexplicably put the volume knob too close to the bridge in their trem models. Curse their superior design and poor execution!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nut widths smaller than 42mm and scale lengths shorter than 24.5"

Signed,
Hulk Hands Gang

Edit: oh and lack of belly cuts. Had to sell a J5 Tele and LTD AS1 because of it.

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
It would Almost make sense to open up a poll on this thread 🤗 but Its doable to create similar statistics after reading all replays this far. Would we see an incarnation of the least unwelcome, uncomfortable and universally unlikable guitar of SSO?!... Also, my contribution: A Dealbreaker as phrased in the title, would have to be: when forseeingly perceivable amount of fun and enjoyment from the instrument under the consideration of possible deal falls short, compared to the asking price.

')