Dealbreakers. What are yours?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fuji86

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gold hardware
painted necks
pau ferro
locking trems
abalone
shitty graphics like in Deans
Kiesel guitars
burl tops
guitars with the battery cavity (makes the guitar look like a toy)
Weird inlays (like the Solar guitars one)

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Not multiscale. I know its maybe extreme but I really dig into multiscale and I can't see a reason why not.

Poplar burl and quilted maple top. I know they can look good and they are popular in guitars, but I watched too much of them and nearly get bored.

Active pickups. Not saying they are bad but I use a custom circuit that converts output to low-impedance that needs a 9v battery with 3 pin jack. Hard to do clean with active routing.

No fret marker or inlay. Really don't like the look but something like pale moon ebony may look good,

Reaction score
... passive pickup guitars routed for actives...

... swapping a LoPro/Edge/EdgePro for an original Floyd Rose on an Ibanez guitar... more so if it's a higher tier model, like prestige level...

... deep mods being sold with "Like New" price tags...

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
Extra knobs/switches that should not be there.
Saw a very pretty '79 silverburst once, but with an added toggle switch between the four knobs.

Hard pass.

Other than that, anything else I can't fix anymore without it showing. On of the very worst examples is all those old SG's that have had a bigsby mounted on them at one time, with the holes now plugged.

SeventyFour

Reaction score
Unsightly neck through finish transitions between the body and neck such as this. Honestly what is so difficult about making them neat and following the body curvature!?!?

Attachments

• BUZ-7_2.jpg
    BUZ-7_2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 72

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
- Fingerboard radius of 9.5" and smaller
- Kiesel
- bound maple
- low-quality (not consistently dark) rosewood
- no inlays (tasteless)
- no Floyd Rose or high-quality strat-style tremolo
- non-locking tuners (they're the future)
- burled maple
- skunk-stripes
- Epiphone headstocks (if Epiphones had Gibson headstocks, I'd own an Epiphone)
- tribal inlays (sorry, Caparison Angelus but that does count)
- Tree-of-Life (Ibanez) inlay
- ERG's (learn to write a song, dingus)
- (generally speaking) H-H config. guitars. I'll own one for doing one thing but I'm HSS 'til death.
- pickup rings on seven-string guitar pickups (I don't play 7's so this isn't an issue but it irks me something shocking)
- nickel chrome hardware (this opinion brought to you by black hardware gang)

I'll post more if I think of more.

Edit: as soon as I hit 'save', I thought of more.

- Fender CBS aka 70's style headstocks (puke my GUTS out)
- guitars with zero (or poorly designed) front and back contours.

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
It would Almost make sense to open up a poll on this thread 🤗 but Its doable to create similar statistics after reading all replays this far. Would we see an incarnation of the least unwelcome, uncomfortable and universally unlikable guitar of SSO?!...

The post above is proof you can't do that. Some people would max the poll options on a single post :lol:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unsightly neck through finish transitions between the body and neck such as this. Honestly what is so difficult about making them neat and following the body curvature!?!?
Agreed on that what in fucking Pacman is that?

Also, what guitar is that?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed on that what in fucking Pacman is that?

Also, what guitar is that?

It's an LTD Buz7.

They mask straight because it's faster and easier for a low skilled factory worker to get right and so there's less chance the robot that paints them doesn't mess up. It's also easier on the back end afterwards.

It wasn't long ago that the big OEMs wouldn't even do this, but here we are complaining about it. :lol:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A few dealbreakers for me, in no particular order, and no accountability for how sensible or frivilous they may be:

- Headless, unless it’s a Steinberger
- Three full-size humbuckers
- Burl Vomitburst
- 2-point Strat trems
- 8+ strings but not multiscale
- No fretboard markers
- Silly graphics (Not all graphics are silly.)
- V-shaped neck profile
- RG/Jem but no AANJ
- LP shape but not a 3+3 headstock
- LP shape with 24 frets
- Gibson but has a trem other than Bigsby
- Jackson but no sharkfins
- Acoustics that are painted
- Strats that aren’t painted
- Wood-catalog builds
- Ridiculous, elaborate fretboard inlays that look like the fuckin’ Bayeux Tapestry but don’t actually mark the fret positions worth a piss
- Ultra-flat fretboard radius
- Roasted maple
- Tele body shape but with excessive deviations from the archetypal Telecaster
- Strat without a pickguard
- 7+ strings with a pickguard

SeventyFour

Reaction score
They mask straight because it's faster and easier for a low skilled factory worker to get right and so there's less chance the robot that paints them doesn't mess up. It's also easier on the back end afterwards.

It wasn't long ago that the big OEMs wouldn't even do this, but here we are complaining about it. :lol:
Fair point but surely they could still mask straight like this Jackson (that's also one cut instead of two) and have it look much neater instead of the V abomination.

That said I still take issue with this, just follow the heel come on.

evertune__guitars__Jackson__Pro_Series_Signature_Josh_Smith_Soloist_SL7_ET__Dark_Surf_Green__s2.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fair point but surely they could still mask straight like this Jackson (that's also one cut instead of two) and have it look much neater instead of the V abomination.

That said I still take issue with this, just follow the heel come on.

evertune__guitars__Jackson__Pro_Series_Signature_Josh_Smith_Soloist_SL7_ET__Dark_Surf_Green__s2.jpg

It's a functional element on the back of the guitar.

There are a bunch of ways to do it, and that's the one the OEM and brand has worked out based on price and execution.

:shrug:

Reaction score
It would be cool if they put the whole mechanism on the back.

It would look sort of like an old 2Tek.

View attachment 123115
I know the tonewood thing is bullshit..BUT I will say there is something to the strings connecting with the wood of the body. A LOT of the guitar needs to be cut out to accomodate an Evertune and at that point it's just strings on a bunch of metal.
I'm not saying in a recording I'd definitely be able to tell the difference but for some reason that just bothers me. It's one of the reasons I can't get along with a Floyd. I don't mind the one Floyd equipped guitar I have but palm mutes and stuff like definitely feel and sound different. It doesn't ruin the guitar but I definitely prefer my string-thrus.
I had a guitar ordered that had and Evertune, figuring I could get over it but..the juice ain't worth the squeeze for me so I cancelled the order. Maybe if I get lucky they'll do a string thru version instead.

')