Dealbreakers. What are yours?

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeventyFour

Reaction score
It's a functional element on the back of the guitar.

There are a bunch of ways to do it, and that's the one the OEM and brand has worked out based on price and execution.

:shrug:
What's your point?

Anything mentioned in this entire thread can be justified. Sorry my deal breakers are different to yours.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's your point?

Anything mentioned in this entire thread can be justified. Sorry my deal breakers are different to yours.

Someone asked why, I explained it.

Not sure why this hurt your feelings, but I'm sorry. If you're ever in Wisconsin I'll shave the finish back on whatever guitar you want real nice. :yesway:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said in the other 10 pages that I don't feel like reading, but mine is simple: Abalone.

Anywhere on a guitar, really, but especially egregious and tacky is some of the ESP's that uses to have full body, fretboard, and fret markers inlaid in that eyesore.

Naxxpipe

Reaction score
Mine are mostly ergonomical as I am weak of body and mind:
- Inability to be played comfortably in classical position
- Shit upper fret access
- As little wood as possible on the area over the bridge. I prefer to play with the guitar tilted forward more than a strat typically will be, and too much body in the area over the bridge gives my arm a funny angle when playing
- Substantial neck dive

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said in the other 10 pages that I don't feel like reading, but mine is simple: Abalone.

Anywhere on a guitar, really, but especially egregious and tacky is some of the ESP's that uses to have full body, fretboard, and fret markers inlaid in that eyesore.
Abalone is only beautiful in moderation. I've seen two types of use of abalone on a guitar that didn't look hideous.

1. Small dot inlays. Not great big ones. Not massive triangles or whatever. Just the tiny dots.
2. Accent on MOP inlays. I saw one guitar that had MOP blocks with abalone outlines that was stunning. Just the perfect accent that you had to be really close to to realize what it was.

But there are some guitars with like 1/4" thick binding on the fretboard, headstock, body, plus blocks of the stuff and it just looks like Liberace puked on the poor thing.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Abalone is only beautiful in moderation. I've seen two types of use of abalone on a guitar that didn't look hideous.

1. Small dot inlays. Not great big ones. Not massive triangles or whatever. Just the tiny dots.
2. Accent on MOP inlays. I saw one guitar that had MOP blocks with abalone outlines that was stunning. Just the perfect accent that you had to be really close to to realize what it was.

But there are some guitars with like 1/4" thick binding on the fretboard, headstock, body, plus blocks of the stuff and it just looks like Liberace puked on the poor thing.
Agreed. This is just seated into my brain for the average abalone guitar fan:

esp-ltd-h-1001fr-floyd-rose-see-thru-black-cherry-sample-prototype-electric-guitar-sku-number-6slh1001frstbc-0853.jpg

Gross.

(equally gross is the low resolution of that picture)

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I think Abalone can be nice when used very subtly. I just ordered my Warmoth Baritone neck. I went roasted plain maple shaft and board, with Abalone dot inlays. The whole thing is going to be basically one color, so I'm hoping the inlays will be able to pop.

Screenshot_20230206_181643_Chrome.jpg

Its all going to depend on how much green I end up with.

For now its going on my Squier CV50 body. Its a great sounding guitar, but the neck is really twisted bad. It wont be the best look, but i can upgrade the body any time I want.

Last edited:

tedtan

Reaction score
Also, in addition to that PRS Dragon (not sure which variation due to the double neck), here’s the Martin D100:

FD2F00B0-45D2-400C-B7D4-76DEDB82B5D5.jpeg

407FD05F-F302-4622-A104-3FA29FCDDF9F.jpeg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm glad that most aesthetics aren't a dealbreaker to me lol. I'll play a guitar *made* of abalone as long as the specs and price is right. Same deal with burl, even though I bitch about it a lot.

Though with that said; Explorer-shaped guitars have started to become dealbreakers to me. They look killer, but the shapes always sounded off for me. For being such a pointy shape I found Explorers sound a bit smoother and bassier than most other guitars. Every Explorer and Explorer copy I've tried just lacked bite. That or just a very, very unfortunate coincidence :lol:

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Outside quality issues and cheap hardware, nitrocellulose lacquer. Anything else I can pretty much work with, but there are things like round radius or v shape neck which I will only consider if everything else is perfect.

eddyrox

Reaction score
1. 22 fret guitars
2. no locking tuners
3. maple headstock with an ebony fingerboard :)nono:)
4. 7.5-9" radius neck
5. non-SS frets

eddyrox

Reaction score
Seriously? Something that you can change for like 50$ is a dealbreaker to you?

Holy shit is the bar low on this thread :lol:
LOL😁 you're right, may be not.... :yesway:
i'll substitute the locking tuners for guitars with fugly headstocks....

Reactions: drb
')