Dealin with work related stress again

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
Thanks for the help...lately work has becoming more stressful. I work in production and meetijng deadlines is crucial. I started the job a year ago...and recent jobs because of the holidays and vendors not qc carfully the product has been stressin me out...also it doesnt help when your co workers are bad mouthin about u..heck they have been having negative views of me since i came on board. Anyway need the job to support my family but if this keeps up..i dont think ill last...any suggestions on dealin with stress and separately work emotionally and mentally when u get home?

IGC

Reaction score
I'v had similar experiences with jobs. Having to pay the bills with a job thats uncertain can create great angst! It just takes time, maybe years to establish yourself. Be strong learn from mistakes, do the best you can, don't let things that you have no control over fester, it's not worth it, and hang in there man.
Maybe try some ZaZen Meditation to clear the mind, at least for a little while?

Reaction score
I was about to suggest the nearby thread about meditation: http://sevenstring.org/threads/meditation.326865/

Nevertheless, play cool with your co-workers, like you don't know/care about what they say in your back, but keep your eyes open (ears, mostly). Truth will come up eventually and it will be them looking bad in the photo then. Try your best not to confront anyone, peace is the way, be the example for others to follow. It may take longer, but it's a much better and rewarding road.

Reactions: IGC

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
If your co-workers are talking trash about you, it typically means they feel threatened. You’re probably doing something right. Focus on what you can control. Wasting any energy on things you don’t control is not only pointless, but unhealthy.

Descent

Reaction score
Maybe it is time to look into investing into some kind of re-certification or continuing education, so you can either move up in this company or move to better position in another company.

vejichan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just want to be clarify ...that my co workers dont directly badmouth me in front of me...but i get the vibe and stares and just overhear things here and there. Overall..they didnt feel i could do the job even from the beginibg...after a year..they still dont. I thought a year would be enough to convince them but nope...and sadly recent mishaps on production is probably giving them reasons to keep thinking that. Its like im under a microscope...and they just keep pointing out my mistakes...anyway i know every job will have people who dislike me, and i should hang in there and keep going..but i really hate this feeling of fear of going to work...tbh i like the work.. the stress is the people i work with!

Reaction score
(...) tbh i like the work.. (...)

Show that clear and unmistakably. You'll eventually loose the fear because you're focused on enjoying what you're doing, and it WILL show. Fear is what animals/co-workers/trolls feast in. Don't feed them.

Play cool, cooperate, try not to compete, everyone has its place, you'll find yours soon enough.

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
Your stress is self inflicted. You will struggle any where you go. It will follow you until you learn to accept it and let go. Once you stop the self-loathing; others will stop feeding on it. Blaming this circumstance or that guys actions for your stress and fear is your weakness. It only hurts yourself to dwell in those states. I guarantee “they” don’t lose sleep over nitpicking your work or talking shit behind your back.
You control how you react; and what you dwell on, or what you let go of.

vejichan

Reaction score
In the end ...nobody will ever think i should have spent more time at work. Yet with all the pressure from society and especially people you work with of this work mentality that work is this massive entity thats more important than everything else ....the stress and mental toll of this is equivalent or more so than family issues and personal issues. To me, work is work...in terms of priorities...its not in my top 5 or top 10. GOD, my family, guitar etc are my priorities...yet when im at work and especially after i leave work...im filled with this unbearable stress and pressure that i cant overcome.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
Your stress is self inflicted. You will struggle any where you go. It will follow you until you learn to accept it and let go. Once you stop the self-loathing; others will stop feeding on it. Blaming this circumstance or that guys actions for your stress and fear is your weakness. It only hurts yourself to dwell in those states. I guarantee “they” don’t lose sleep over nitpicking your work or talking shit behind your back.
You control how you react; and what you dwell on, or what you let go of.
HOW does one, who may overanalyze and overthink everything, and always feel doom and gloom, just suddenly do a complete 180 and "let it go", exactly?

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
HOW does one, who may overanalyze and overthink everything, and always feel doom and gloom, just suddenly do a complete 180 and "let it go", exactly?
It starts with some introspective thinking. You’ll start to correlate how the information and situations you expose yourself to makes you feel and react.

Self acceptance is the very first step imo. Understand that “where you are” today is the result of a long series of decisions you have made. Learn from the events that have made you who you are right now, and decide how you’d like to move forward.

Self discipline is the next step. What do you do out of habit that has a negative impact on you? How many bad habits can you eliminate? The more you do the stronger the inner self becomes. This is building Solomon’s Temple. Bad habits are both physical and emotional.

Happiness exists inside and is experienced outside. Those who seek happiness outside will look around corners, under rocks, up at the sky etc. (mostly with their wallets now a-days) and never find more than temporary reprieve at best.

Marked Man

Reaction score
One thing my old boss taught me from his own painful personal experience is to try to be friends with EVERYONE, even the lowest warehouse worker or secretary, or whoever is at the bottom of the totem pole at your place of employment. Bend over backwards at first if you have to. Even then, there may still be factors that make them against you, which could include cultural differences or jealousy.

Even ONE person hating you and gossiping with others can start a wild fire that can eventually make its way to upper management, and they'll be thinking "Hmmm, that guy seems to create problems". It is part of the overall strategy of your career to ponder "can I STAND to work with these people for the next 5, 10, 20+ years??!". Several times, the answer to that question has been NO for me. You'll probably see your co-workers more hours per week than even your own family, so if you feel like you are in shark infested waters, you'd probably be the first one in danger when the time comes to reduce staff.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just want to be clarify ...that my co workers dont directly badmouth me in front of me...but i get the vibe and stares and just overhear things here and there. Overall..they didnt feel i could do the job even from the beginibg...after a year..they still dont. I thought a year would be enough to convince them but nope...and sadly recent mishaps on production is probably giving them reasons to keep thinking that. Its like im under a microscope...and they just keep pointing out my mistakes...anyway i know every job will have people who dislike me, and i should hang in there and keep going..but i really hate this feeling of fear of going to work...tbh i like the work.. the stress is the people i work with!

I've been in that boat before. It sucks. I'm at a senior level in my career and I'm well established financially, although some people my age and older are not. So this inevitably leads to some resentment by butthurt types. The answer is not to act like some kind of Beta sub, however, because people don't respect that either. It's a balancing act, and it's not easy. YOU are going to have you change, because ALL companies have jealous and/or elitist people who are looking for a way to shoot down the outsider.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Show that clear and unmistakably. You'll eventually loose the fear because you're focused on enjoying what you're doing, and it WILL show. Fear is what animals/co-workers/trolls feast in. Don't feed them.

Play cool, cooperate, try not to compete, everyone has its place, you'll find yours soon enough.

Whether you like it or not, in all businesses, you ARE competing with others at your level, as well as above and below. The key is to prove yourself (and be) trustworthy and helpful, not a cutthroat, while still advancing your own career first. The skill of neutrality is very important. If you become tightly tied to a senior boss and that boss is fired, then your name is suddenly Mudd by association. Make sure the key leaders now you are loyal to the company and them first, and then the people in your own department. If you see someone who you think is eventually going down in flames, don't tie yourself to that person!

Last edited:

Latest posts