Dealing with room mode?

• Thread starter ryanougrad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ryanougrad

Reaction score
I have a pair of Kali LP6 set up on my desk, which is a small spare room (approx 10.73 cubic meters, 378 sq feet). I share this space with my girlfriend so I can't convert the room to a full studio. I have bass blockers (rock wool) set up behind the two speakers (they are 120x60x10 cm) to deflect some frequency buildup. However, I get an increase in DB when playing the B and C notes (anywhere on the fretboard) so around 246hz and 261 etc.

Is there a software eq I can use to target these frequencies to adapt to my room mode? I can't do much more room treatment b/c as I said I share the room. When I pull my speakers away from the wall the DB increase goes down, but is not eliminated. I don't have a measurement of the DB increase, as I don't have a mic to measure with, but I could possibly borrow one. I tried the cheap EQ in Garageband and was able to target some frequencies and it seemed at minimum a 9db decrease was needed to compensate.

Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Sonarworks is probably what you’re looking for, but I don’t know what your budget is. You can do it manually to some degree if you’ve already found the frequencies giving you trouble. Just save an eq, and place it on your Master track,that’s knocking those specific frequencies down. You’ll want to attenuate the octaves as well ex. 246 is the main culprit, so also knock down a few dB at 31, 62, 123, 492, 984, 1.97k etc.

ryanougrad

Reaction score
Sonarworks is probably what you’re looking for, but I don’t know what your budget is. You can do it manually to some degree if you’ve already found the frequencies giving you trouble. Just save an eq, and place it on your Master track,that’s knocking those specific frequencies down. You’ll want to attenuate the octaves as well ex. 246 is the main culprit, so also knock down a few dB at 31, 62, 123, 492, 984, 1.97k etc.
Thanks mate. I found that in Garageband if I EQ at 130hz and -9db with a Q of 5 it really makes a difference to my ear. I'd need to do a room sweep with REW it seems if I really want to target troubled frequencies. I will look into Sonarworks.

Latest posts

')