Dean Guitars 2022

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Okay why does dean make such awful headstocks. Is it just me? Or is every single one of their headstocks just atrocious with the exception of the ML and that's only because of the body.

I'm like in the minority of people that like the shrimpfork apparently. :lol:

83_Elite-06.jpg.42fa0db6c42d9955f71faafd76d10618.jpg

I also like the new 6-in-line they introduced.

md24frmvor.png

...That's about it. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
I dunno man, I do like the more classic MLs, but they're so heavily associated with Dime that it takes away from my personal desire to own one. It's not like an explorer or V where every swinging dick rocks (myself included) one. Dime was THE ML guy, AFAIK. Also, RIP Dime, 17 years today.

I will also say, I've played both the 6 and 12 string versions of the Boca, I think it's called, and those were some sleeper guitars, enjoyed them immensely. They also don't have obnoxious headstocks, which is a plus.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I dunno man, I do like the more classic MLs, but they're so heavily associated with Dime that it takes away from my personal desire to own one. It's not like an explorer or V where every swinging dick rocks (myself included) one. Dime was THE ML guy, AFAIK. Also, RIP Dime, 17 years today.

I will also say, I've played both the 6 and 12 string versions of the Boca, I think it's called, and those were some sleeper guitars, enjoyed them immensely. They also don't have obnoxious headstocks, which is a plus.

He definitely wasn't the first since Dean's been around since the late '70s and guys like The Cars and Sammy Hagar used Dean in the '80s, but yeah ever since Pantera got big, he's been THE ML guy.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the split headstock, and the shimpfork. The inline I can do without.

I played a USA Vinman and it was a really excellent guitar, despite the crappy headstock. I would really like a Cadillac, even a Korean one, but every time I find one for a decent price I talk myself out of it. :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I played a USA Vinman and it was a really excellent guitar, despite the crappy headstock. I would really like a Cadillac, even a Korean one, but every time I find one for a decent price I talk myself out of it. :lol:

The Caddy has definitely grown on me the passed few years. Enough for me to consider one if the right one comes up for sale at a good price.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He definitely wasn't the first since Dean's been around since the late '70s and guys like The Cars and Sammy Hagar used Dean in the '80s, but yeah ever since Pantera got big, he's been THE ML guy.

Yeah, Elliot Easton has an ML on one of the Cars' album covers (Panorama or Candy-O, I think), and Triumph's Rik Emmett used them in the early '80s. They were a dead brand after that until Dime, though.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've always particularly enjoyed Dean's more "normal" offerings. The Stylist, the Avalanche, the Edge bass, the acoustics, I've owned a bunch of them. I've never owned an ML, but the shape is interesting.

I've loved seeing their new offerings the past couple years, but it seems to me like the company has always been kind of in limbo between being successful and crashing. I'm sure they'll be fine as long as they keep offering what they have been, but one sudden wrong turn might have them in a bit of trouble. I hope they succeed, though.

Zado

Reaction score
Do you think that Dean is too much of a polarizing company to win over non-Dean fans?
Honestly I'd play a Dean over a gazillion brands, the brand got much cooler in my book in recent years. I'm not familiar with 90% of their roster, but their models I dig.

JSanta

Reaction score

It looks like Vinnie Moore isn't with Dean anymore? I only have one of his albums, but in that neo-classical style, I have enjoyed his playing.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay why does dean make such awful headstocks. Is it just me? Or is every single one of their headstocks just atrocious with the exception of the ML and that's only because of the body.

I don't think I'd ever choose their headstocks on thier own, but I think most of them work perfectly fine with the guitars they tend to come on.

The RC/Exile in line is pretty inoffensive, and even the somewhat reviled split stock works well with the Vs and Zs.

If anything I'd say thier headstock logos are more offensive than the outlines themselves. :lol:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
The new 6 in line one reminds me of a vulture (bird not guitar), and also reminds me of the old Carvin headstock which i personally find atrocious lol theirs is better than Carvin's though imho, and genuinely the best one they've put out.

The scooped bottom one looks like the aries headstock too, but that one I think Kiesel did better.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
I like the new inline headstock, be even better if it was reversed though

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I always liked their USA offerings, even artist and some Dime models. I always wanted one but I got too many other guitars I am looking at before Dean....

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Exile looks nice with the reversed headstock. Wouldn't mind a fanned 8 that's not got a fuckin' Kahler and costs a million bucks.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Exile looks nice with the reversed headstock. Wouldn't mind a fanned 8 that's not got a fuckin' Kahler and costs a million bucks.
I missed something. Where did you find the non-Kahler Exile multiscale with reversed headstock?!

Viginez

Reaction score
ML/V headstock is cool, otherwise meh. they should maybe round off the edges on their inline headstock. also the wing logo is impossible to place properly.

')